New Vehicles in Afghanistan?

:D I recently saw them in Cyprus when they were getting fitted for theatre and had a shufty inside. Looks a good bit of kit and better than a lot of other procurement items of recent times but not used or worked on them yet. The proof will be in the pudding when the lads get some hands on in them over the first few months. I think there quite impresssive inside for room.
Without giving any serious info away how are the lads are getting on with them?

They do, but if IED's are now taking out Chally 2's, I don't think it matters whether you're in one of these or a Skoda Fabia with a dodgy passenger-side door.

I agree that no amount of armor can protect you from an IED. Sometimes its the soldiers eyeball/alertness that is the best defense. Know what you are looking for. We had a +30t Bradley flipped over by an IED blast killing 6 troops.

Yes but if you can make your troops as comfy as possible in the back of the vehicle its a start and it is roomy compared to a snatch/Saxon. This vehicle did look the DOGS BOLLOX in the back so must be a good start. Like I said when we get the feedback off the lads we then can start judging it.

Doesnt look like the vehicle is going to hold up to mines/IED's. The Cougar would be a better buy and has proven itself in Iraq and Afghanistan. After over 100,000 days in Iraq and Afghanistan and 2000 IED strikes no one has been killed in a Cougar.

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
I take it the driver of the Mastiff will need an LGV lisence to drive one
Won't that put more of a strain on a limited number of drivers?

the_boy_syrup said:
it was mentioned that RLC will be attached to infantry as drivers dont know if its happening.

tomahawk6 said:
Doesnt look like the vehicle is going to hold up to mines/IED's. The Cougar would be a better buy and has proven itself in Iraq and Afghanistan. After over 100,000 days in Iraq and Afghanistan and 2000 IED strikes no one has been killed in a Cougar.

It looks a bit of a baby compared to the mastiff though :roll:

Nowhere near the size and capacity.

tomahawk6 said:

The Mastiff is a 6 x 6 Cougar, built by Force Protection with additional armour and some other modifications the British asked for.

Vilela said:
tomahawk6 said:

The Mastiff is a 6 x 6 Cougar, built by Force Protection with additional armour and some other modifications the British asked for.
I knew the one I looked inside was twin rear axle and a lot more space cheers for the info. It looked a good vehicle but was static, dont know how much fun the Freddie Foden will have with it, if it needs recovered

Vilela said:
Or should I have written, 'built by Force Protection in the US and fitted in Britain with additional armour and some other modifications'?

The_IRON said:
the_boy_syrup said:
it was mentioned that RLC will be attached to infantry as drivers dont know if its happening.
They are and its happening. Same role that RLC Drivers did ala Saxon in Northern Ireland.
Vector, the Pinz veh, is very good (as is the normal Pinz) but as someone said, if a CH2 or Bradley can get taken out then these 2 bits of kit are not infallible. But, if you get to do the journey in some sort of comfort, with the kit needed, inside etc, then it must be a good thing.

Vilela said:
Vilela said:
Or should I have written, 'built by Force Protection in the US and fitted in Britain with additional armour and some other modifications'?
yes I saw them doing the mods in Akrotiri before they went out to the Gulf. Should be good kit

The_IRON said:
It looked a good vehicle but was static, dont know how much fun the Freddie Foden will have with it, if it needs recovered
All up weight is 17 tonnes (according to Wiki) so shouldn't be a problem.

pdf27 said:
The_IRON said:
It looked a good vehicle but was static, dont know how much fun the Freddie Foden will have with it, if it needs recovered
Even though it was a quick buy, before it deployed, as with all equipment of that scale, it spends time down at TDU Aldershot for things like Recovery Assessments etc. Things like, tyre changing, driving with NVG etc are assessed and reported on. This sometimes can cause those much talked about delays of equipt getting to theatre. Its better to find out any problems in Hampshire, than at night on Route Tampa.

CH512O said:
pdf27 said:
The_IRON said:
Even though it was a quick buy, before it deployed, as with all equipment of that scale, it spends time down at TDU Aldershot for things like Recovery Assessments etc. Things like, tyre changing, driving with NVG etc are assessed and reported on. This sometimes can cause those much talked about delays of equipt getting to theatre. Its better to find out any problems in Hampshire, than at night on Route Tampa.
Yes the Reccy mechs I was talking to in Akrotiri said there were a few problems regarding recovery. Ive been on reliability trials in the past as im REME and do know things are quite well tested and also things are rushed through for important things. The Trial I was on in 1996 failed so they got rid of our reliability trial then six months later called the trial something else and accepted it. How many fingers were in the pie. Like I said I did like the look of the mastiff and think the blokes will love the space and comfy aspects of the vehicle with all the kit theyll have. :D

From Defence Images: 'The Piranha vehicle on show at Salisbury Plain's study day. A new package of protection vehicles to compliment heavily armoured Warriors and lighter snatch patrol vehicles. These vehicles will give commanders on the ground in Iraq and Afghanistan more options to deal with the developing threats they are facing. These wheeled patrol vehicles have a less intimidating profile than tracked vehicles. Once delivered, they will be customised with essential BOWMAN radios and electronic countermeasures, and then fitted with additional armour beyond the standard level, to ensure they have the best possible protection.'

What happened to this one, as they have it down as part of the package for additional lighter armour?

The problem with some of these designs is that they do not have a V hull which is essential to surviving a mine/IED blast. Adding armor under the chassis just doesnt provide the same level of protection of a Cougar/Buffalo type vehicles.

Latest Threads