New Vehicles in Afghanistan?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Mr._Average, May 26, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. :D I recently saw them in Cyprus when they were getting fitted for theatre and had a shufty inside. Looks a good bit of kit and better than a lot of other procurement items of recent times but not used or worked on them yet. The proof will be in the pudding when the lads get some hands on in them over the first few months. I think there quite impresssive inside for room.
    Without giving any serious info away how are the lads are getting on with them?
  2. They do, but if IED's are now taking out Chally 2's, I don't think it matters whether you're in one of these or a Skoda Fabia with a dodgy passenger-side door.
  3. I agree that no amount of armor can protect you from an IED. Sometimes its the soldiers eyeball/alertness that is the best defense. Know what you are looking for. We had a +30t Bradley flipped over by an IED blast killing 6 troops.

4. Yes but if you can make your troops as comfy as possible in the back of the vehicle its a start and it is roomy compared to a snatch/Saxon. This vehicle did look the DOGS BOLLOX in the back so must be a good start. Like I said when we get the feedback off the lads we then can start judging it.
  5. Doesnt look like the vehicle is going to hold up to mines/IED's. The Cougar would be a better buy and has proven itself in Iraq and Afghanistan. After over 100,000 days in Iraq and Afghanistan and 2000 IED strikes no one has been killed in a Cougar.

6. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

I take it the driver of the Mastiff will need an LGV lisence to drive one
    Won't that put more of a strain on a limited number of drivers?
  7. I dont know maybe there will be more volunteers for a vehicle that is this survivable.
  8. it was mentioned that RLC will be attached to infantry as drivers dont know if its happening.
  9. It looks a bit of a baby compared to the mastiff though :roll:

Nowhere near the size and capacity.
  10. The Mastiff is a 6 x 6 Cougar, built by Force Protection with additional armour and some other modifications the British asked for.
  11. I knew the one I looked inside was twin rear axle and a lot more space cheers for the info. It looked a good vehicle but was static, dont know how much fun the Freddie Foden will have with it, if it needs recovered
  12. Or should I have written, 'built by Force Protection in the US and fitted in Britain with additional armour and some other modifications'?
  13. They are and its happening. Same role that RLC Drivers did ala Saxon in Northern Ireland.
    Vector, the Pinz veh, is very good (as is the normal Pinz) but as someone said, if a CH2 or Bradley can get taken out then these 2 bits of kit are not infallible. But, if you get to do the journey in some sort of comfort, with the kit needed, inside etc, then it must be a good thing.
  14. yes I saw them doing the mods in Akrotiri before they went out to the Gulf. Should be good kit