New vehicle produced for Afghanistan- Pitbull

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2008/03/16/npitbull116.xml

Army unveils all-terrain 'Pitbull'
By Sean Rayment, Defence Correspondent
Last Updated: 2:40am GMT 16/03/2008

Fast, powerful and with a fearsome array of weaponry, it has already been named "Pitbull" by the soldiers who will drive it deep behind enemy lines.

Latest news from our troops on the frontline
Sign our petition for an Armed Forces Day
The Army has unveiled its new £200,000 all-terrain vehicle, tailor-made for the hostile terrain of Helmand in Southern Afghanistan.

Senior officers say the vehicle will greatly enhance the fighting capability of their soldiers, and will save lives.

Armed with a mix of machine guns and an automatic grenade launcher, and with a range of more than 500 miles, the vehicle will be used to hunt down and destroy the Taliban during long range surveillance and reconnaissance operations.

Its crew of three will be able to call in air strikes using onboard communications equipment. The new all-terrain vehicle has a 5.9 litre engine capable of 80mph on roads and 40mph across the Helmand desert.

It has revolutionary air suspension which allows for a comfortable ride even over the roughest of terrain and helps the gunners to hit their targets while on the move.

Known officially as the M-Wmik - Mobility Weapons Mounted Installation Kit - the vehicle will replace the ageing Land Rover Wmiks, variations of which have been in service since the Fifties.

The Sunday Telegraph was given an exclusive preview of the vehicle's capabilities on the Army's training area on Salisbury Plain last week. After almost 48 hours of rain, the terrain had turned into a quagmire but the M-Wmik cut through the clogging mud with ease and the bumps from the deeply rutted track were almost completely absorbed by the suspension.

The driver, Warrant Officer Nick Hartley, said it was easy to handle, with automatic transmission and power steering. "It's awesome. It does exactly what it says on the tin. Troops will be able to go deep into Taliban territory and hunt them down. It can go anywhere and it is very stable."

The vehicle and crew are protected against mines by reinforced armour plating but the military says its best defence is its manoeuvrability and speed.

First to use the vehicle on operations will be the Pathfinders, from 16 Air Assault Brigade, due to begin arriving in Helmand soon. The 202 vehicles purchased were made by Babcock Marine, a British engineering company, which also makes ships. Working with the Army, the company procured the vehicle in seven months.

8)

&tc,

~D.C.

Henry_Tombs said:
How long will it be before we see a premiership footballer with one? :roll:

Make an awful mess of the pitch though but the mgs will clear the goal line quick.

Looks like an Action Man car, which is not necessarily a bad thing. Pleased to see they remembered the BV!

I would query why the driver's legs are left hanging out though?

BobJamesCo said:
Designed by the Taliban, was it!!
This crap would not even be safe on the streets of Peterboroughstan.
I see from your Profile you say "Anything to do with Landrovers", so do I assume you would prefer to see those retained on Ops?

Fcuk me! Looks a bit like a cross between an old school beach buggy and a mini moke and about as useful. I note that the crew have naff all protecion, but the asset (well, what the mod regard as the asset) in the form of machinery seems well provided for.

I only hope I have underestimated it, but I suspect it won't be long before we see these parked in the "mothers with children" reserved places outside the local Sainsburies

"Senior officers say the vehicle will greatly enhance the fighting capability of their soldiers, and will save lives".

Call me old fashioned if you will......waits for it.......lets hope the senior officers dont get some twat picking them orft with an old .303 or AK. Dont see too much protection for the crew.

The LRDG were fine in their day however, where the entire population appears iffy at best, wouldnt some sort of protection be advisable?

strewth said:
"Senior officers say the vehicle will greatly enhance the fighting capability of their soldiers, and will save lives".
Call me old fashioned if you will......waits for it.......lets hope the senior officers dont get some t**t picking them orft with an old .303 or AK. Dont see too much protection for the crew.
The LRDG were fine in their day however, where the entire population appears iffy at best, wouldnt some sort of protection be advisable?
As an ex-Crab, I'm clearly on dangerous territory here, but ....

Presumably the lack of armour is a trade-off for speed, mobility and easy application of defensive/offensive firepower?

Listening out for input from those who know ....

I was a .50 gunner on a WMIK on Herrick 4, the taliban feared the vehicle so much and was refered as a Porcupine. This vehicle will unlease hell on the fu**ers. BRING IT ON!!

pyrogenica said:
Fcuk me! Looks a bit like a cross between an old school beach buggy and a mini moke and about as useful. I note that the crew have naff all protecion, but the asset (well, what the mod regard as the asset) in the form of machinery seems well provided for.

I only hope I have underestimated it, but I suspect it won't be long before we see these parked in the "mothers with children" reserved places outside the local Sainsburies
My brother,ex REME, is involved with production of this vehicle in Devonport Dockyard,he tells me it is based on design of beach buggy,apparently prototypes have been well received by HM Forces.

Z

Zarathustra

The protection will most likely come from the ballistic matting used on WMIKs, which is fine for the role that the vehicles will be used for. It's intended t obe used for recce roles etc not as a MBT

brownhat said:
My brother,ex REME, is involved with production of this vehicle in Devonport Dockyard,he tells me it is based on design of beach buggy,apparently prototypes have been well received by HM Forces.
Absolute pants, this vehicle has nothing to do with a Beach Buggy which was a VW Beetle with a GRP body shell.

The vehicle has been in service for several years in various guises.

Furryturd said:
brownhat said:
Absolute pants, this vehicle has nothing to do with a Beach Buggy which was a VW Beetle with a GRP body shell.

The vehicle has been in service for several years in various guises.
Yep, looks like a Supacat to me.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
msr Army Reserve 3
S Classified Ads 0
themalky RLC 48