New USMC Commandant

I apologize for this post--I was on my iPhone and did not vet it properly and relied on a colleague who is normally accurate.

This story is (IMHO) regrettably false.

Attachments

Outstanding. But I'm still waiting for us to resurrect Chesty and give him a tour as Commandant. Shape the Corps right the Hell up, he would.

Attachments

You know what, Mattis would be good value as Commandant!

He is out-fcuking-standing.

He should be the next CGS over here when your done with him.

"You should always have a plan to kill anyone you meet"

Not really "New Labour" is he?

He is out-fcuking-standing.

He should be the next CGS over here when your done with him.

"You should always have a plan to kill anyone you meet"

Not really "New Labour" is he?
If you re-read the article I think you will realise it is not entirely serious, and as far as I can tell from a quick Google Gen Mattis is still C-in-C of CENTCOM and hasn't actually been named as Commandant of the Marine Corps.

Outstanding. But I'm still waiting for us to resurrect Chesty and give him a tour as Commandant. Shape the Corps right the Hell up, he would.
Hell of a fighter but many people (who know a lot more than me) think he reached his ceiling as a battalion commander.

The slightly-built, softly-spoken "Red Mike" Edson is pretty much forgotten these days, is it because he wasn't a stereotypical Marine? Also a hell of a fighter, as well as a great staff officer, to me a more interesting and ultimately tragic character:

Merritt Austin Edson, Major General, United States Marine Corps

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
JJH - is this for real?

I thought folk like this were anathema to Obama and expunged from the system. How does he compare with someone like Jim Jones?

(Edited to add that, but for AOL, this post would have appeared after Airborne Jock. I'm still curious as to how the USMC manages to promote such diverse characters to high rank)

jjh - is this for real?

I thought folk like this were anathema to obama and expunged from the system. How does he compare with someone like jim jones?
No, it ******* isn't! :roll:

And as for expunged from the system, Mattis is CINC CENTCOM. He's running the show in Afghan and the Middle East.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
To use one of the General's own well known phrases, "Absofuckinglutely shit-for-brains!"
Apologies. I now realise that I should have written 'who are you f*cking kidding you septic cnut?' instead of using a more temperate approach with one of the forum's more respected and constructive members.

Though the spoof quotes are wonderfully extreme, one look at the good general's record shows that he is at the colourful end of the spectrum: "Actually, it's a lot of fun to fight. You know, it's a hell of a hoot. It's fun to shoot some people. I'll be right upfront with you, I like brawling.".

The follow-up question about diverse personalities is genuine - particularly given the general tendency in the US military to homogenise and to filter out the outspoken - as per McChrystal. I was wondering whether the USMC gets somewhat of a free pass because they're expected to say ferocious things beyond the usual PC utterings and I am curious about a system which can produce, and promote to high rank, individuals who are incredibly astute politically as well as individuals who, compared to their UK counterparts at least, are formidably outspoken and seemingly at the other end of the scale. Perhaps it's something we might learn from on this side of the Atlantic?

If you re-read the article I think you will realise it is not entirely serious, and as far as I can tell from a quick Google Gen Mattis is still C-in-C of CENTCOM and hasn't actually been named as Commandant of the Marine Corps.
Mate -- I wasn't being entirely serious either....

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
jumpinjarhead US 11
jumpinjarhead US 17
ExPara The Intelligence Cell 12