Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New USAF survival rifle.

Glass half empty kind of outlook?

There have been pilots in various wars who bailed out over enemy territory and were not captured. June 2, 1995 Francis O’Grady’s F-16 was shot down over Bosnia and Herzegovina by a 2K12 Kub mobile SAM launcher and forced to eject. Spent nearly a week evading capture before being recued.

It is simply a step up from the pistol now provided in escape kits, that provide pilots a more effective means of personal survival.
An old friend from Riyadh had been a F-4 pilot in Vietnam, shot down (don't know where) but the rescue helicopter was particularly quick and he only had to shoot one NVA soldier with his service pistol before they got him out. He hurt his back during ejection, but insisted on a few Jeremiah Weeds at the unit bar on his return, and told the tale every fecken time anyone asked him about it. No wonder I'm an alcoholic.

The components for the GAU-5A ASDW:

Ball /FMJ often goes straight through "living things" so just injuring animals you want to eat makes it difficult when you try to get them in a cooking pot.

Very true. The chances are one will be looking at rabbit sized or below.
Wonder if theres any point in designing a .22 calibre pill that would fit in an M16 5.56 cartridge that could be fired from an M16 at a low velocity - say 1000fps. Enough to knock out a rabbit.
If one were really in a "hot" zone, you probably would want to shoot small game incase you were heard, mind. Maybe a tactical slingshot would be a better idea. Just don't try whacking rocks off a bear with it.

If you eject over enemy territory they are going to find you anyway, one rifle with 120 rds will only get a few of them before they get you, factor in that a pilot will have minimal shooting skills.

How likely is it is that such a weapon would ever be used ?
Would you rather not have it?

mrboo

War Hero
I believe this is about to become popular :-D

Snap 2020-02-15 at 18.48.24.png
Snap 2020-02-15 at 18.49.48.png

ah, the new "cap your ass" sights

...Ill get me coat....

They looked at a modded AR15 as an aircrew survival rifle back in the 60's.
The Colt Model 608, didn't enter service though.

tumblr_mk8l283DoM1s57vgxo1_640.jpg

tumblr_mk8l283DoM1s57vgxo2_r1_1280.jpg

Around 1977 ish I was on a sqn exchange with the Belgian Air Force in Liege. Had a go with a few of their guns on the 25 mtr range, one of them was a survival rifle with 2 barrels, one for something like 22 Hornet, small calibre anyway plus a shotgun barrel. At the time I did wonder what a Belgian pilot would do with a rifle like after banging out in the wilds of er, hm Belgium. Even over the border in Germany such a rifle would hardly have been necessary, but hey ho, toys for the boys.

Around 1977 ish I was on a sqn exchange with the Belgian Air Force in Liege. Had a go with a few of their guns on the 25 mtr range, one of them was a survival rifle with 2 barrels, one for something like 22 Hornet, small calibre anyway plus a shotgun barrel. At the time I did wonder what a Belgian pilot would do with a rifle like after banging out in the wilds of er, hm Belgium. Even over the border in Germany such a rifle would hardly have been necessary, but hey ho, toys for the boys.

Seen. Dunno where, but seen. It is the M6 aircrew survival rifle, checked wiki and there is a page.

This bugger I believe, Sir.

The AR7 was also out there for a while, allegedly. I did see and fire an AR7 which was armourer/gunsmith converted into a pistol with an integral suppressor - I have heard suppressed .22's, but this thing was so seriously quiet you could barely hear the clack of the working parts.

Seen. Dunno where, but seen. It is the M6 aircrew survival rifle, checked wiki and there is a page.

This bugger I believe, Sir.

The AR7 was also out there for a while, allegedly. I did see and fire an AR7 which was armourer/gunsmith converted into a pistol with an integral suppressor - I have heard suppressed .22's, but this thing was so seriously quiet you could barely hear the clack of the working parts.
Thassit.

Heres one I made earlier , its UK spec sect 1, 24.5" OAL with out the brake and stock collapsed , a sect 5 , 9" barrel version would be better than anything shown on this thread ...
1581846503936.png

mrboo

War Hero
There are plenty of folding stock AR type options LR300 pictured
Snap 2020-02-16 at 09.37.25.png
l

Snap 2020-02-16 at 10.02.38.png

The HK g36 is a shorter option than the AR but still not as short as the GAU-5/A when broken down about 15in the G36 about 18in but with a much shorter barrel .