Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New USAF survival rifle.

Weellll, there is another.

A take-down version that comes in a handy case.

Its bolt carrier group looks an awful lot like an AR's to me, only big. Plus it uses direct gas impingement, or at least the version known as such as used on the AR. Not much bulkier stripped down than the new GAU/5A seems to be.
Trust me , it would be massively modified , just google the cartridge dimensions of each calibre for starters.

"Proportionately massive, the bolt-carrier group looks like a standard AR unit, but much bigger. "

Sod that. I'd want one of these:

.338 Lapua, when you absolutely, positively, have to wreck a bear's shit at eight hundred yards.
No, Het, nay, non, nein etc. I want this, now:

Attachments

• 500.png
    500.png
    272.8 KB · Views: 14
Military? That's Air Force...

Ohh yes, I see some right knobbers with questionable skills on the range telling everyone about their time served and then it becomes apparent they were air farce.

At one range I used there were three of them used to turn up on saturday mornings all multi-cammed, plate carriers and all the latest, most expensive kit. Turned out they were all former air farce and their group leader had been a supply Lt.

Ahem, knap. Or did you send it to sleep? :mrgreen:

Sorry, you are right. I did actually have a go at it a few times after a demo at a bushcraft event.

I still do, the result is a bit gash, but hi tec was never easy.

You would not believe how hard it is to find flint in the US, I had to mail order some for a viking fire steel kit I gave away as a pressie.

Yokel

LE
Glass half empty kind of outlook?

There have been pilots in various wars who bailed out over enemy territory and were not captured. June 2, 1995 Francis O’Grady’s F-16 was shot down over Bosnia and Herzegovina by a 2K12 Kub mobile SAM launcher and forced to eject. Spent nearly a week evading capture before being recued.

It is simply a step up from the pistol now provided in escape kits, that provide pilots a more effective means of personal survival.

Also Lt (later Lt Cdr) Nick Richardson RN getting splashed in 1994 over Gorazde in his Sea Harrier. He met up with Bosnian forces and an SAS patrol.

This is based on absolutely no real world experience whatsoever, but I'd imagine that given the sort of places in the US that you could feasibly eject over a rifle might come in useful. Wildlife there is a bit different to here, and if I was ejecting over bear country I would want a rifle too.

I seem to remember a magazine article from about 1990 that made that point that military calibre and ball ammunition were no good against wildlife.

Last edited:
Also Lt (later Lt Cdr) Nick Richardson RN getting splashed in 1994 over Gorazde in his Sea Harrier. He met up with Bosnian forces and an SAS patrol.

I seem to remember a magazine article from about 1990 that made that point that military calibre and bullock ammunition were no good against wildlife.

Fixed it for you.

Strange that you can remember a magazine article from the 1990's but not how to spell 'Ball'?

Lay off the badger juice mate.

Ohh yes, I see some right knobbers with questionable skills on the range telling everyone about their time served and then it becomes apparent they were air farce.

At one range I used there were three of them used to turn up on saturday mornings all multi-cammed, plate carriers and all the latest, most expensive kit. Turned out they were all former air farce and their group leader had been a supply Lt.

The **** grip is very popular at Regiment...

I seem to remember a magazine article from about 1990 that made that point that military calibre and bull ammunition were no good against wildlife.

Depends what you mean by no good.
An accurately placed 5.56mm round to the skull of any large predator will stop it. Hit in any of the major arteries in the neck and it won't work for long. Getting that shot there while tired, stressed and possibly injured is the difficult bit. Anywhere that isn't CNS or major blood vessel isn't going to work very well and pretty much a wasted shot.

Ball /FMJ often goes straight through "living things" so just injuring animals you want to eat makes it difficult when you try to get them in a cooking pot.