New US Rifle XM-8

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by tomahawk6, Nov 22, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I mean this sincerely I hope it really works, not just those staged trials with the best of the rest selected and tuned for the demos. Also what are they on "This new ammunition will have composite cases, with brass bases and polymer walls, which will reduce weight of the complete ammunition, while maintaining compatibility with all 5.56mm NATO weapons. Along with 20% weight reduction in the XM8 (compared to the current issue M4A1 carbine), this will be a welcome move for any infantryman, already overloaded by protective, communications and other battle equipment." I wont be able to reload those plastic bloody rubbish. I'm going back to 30 cal!
  2. xm 109 sniper rifle:

For some long-range sniper missions, a .50 caliber (12.7mm) round just isn’t big enough. The Barrett company, which pioneered the development of the modern .50 caliber sniper rifle, has now built a 25mm sniper rifle (although shoulder cannon may be a more precise term), the XM109. Ten prototype weapons are being made available for testing this month. Designed to destroy light armor, the XM109 is a semi-automatic 25mm rifle that has a 17.6 inch long barrel and an overall length of 46 inches. It weighs in at 46 pounds and has a 5 round magazine. In comparison, the Barrett M107 .50 caliber sniper rifle in general use today has a 29 inch barrel, overall length of 57 inches, and weighs in at a mere 32 pounds, with a magazine capacity of 10 rounds.
  3. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Thats more like it. I suppose the yanks will have a bus to carry it around and the brits can only dream about seeing one let alone carrying it, no ammo though not in the budget.
  4. Is it just me, or does this XM8 look uncanilly like the Aliens pulse rifle?

5. Looks a lot like a rehashed German G36 rifle.

Septics have more money than sense.
  6. H&K is the designer of the weapon. The one discussion we are having is keep 5.56mm or go to 6.8mm. I would like to see 6.8mm but if 5.56mm is retained then it needs to have more punch.
  7. It doesn't need more punch, you need to be a better shot.
  8. 8O

Surely only when you want to redecorate a wall with your target?? This rifle will defy spam war fighting traditions - the idea of them engaging an armoured vehicle with anything short of an M1 Abrams or an F16 is rather radical.
  9. That's because the XM-8 is exactly that, a modular re-design of the H&K G36 with user-lever incherchangability of barrels/sights/grips/grenade launcher etc.