New US Army SMG 2018

The MP7 only exists because H und K saw that the P90 was starting to eat their MP5's lunch as the craze for PDWs was kicking off, and thought they'd have some of that. I'm not sure if it's popular, but their bullets are not used in much else outside of their overly-expensive short pointy weapon.
British Nuclear Police have a semi auto only version, I believe, and I seem to remember seeing some Heer SF types toting it, , but I think you are right. Not sure it is popular. I think the cartridge didn't do well against the P90 5.7x28 in tests, but H&K went ahead with it anyway. Might have sold better if they had modified it to take the 5.7x28, as some people just inherently like H&K.

No FN P90?

Odd. I'd be all over that like a tramp on chips if I was making the selection list.
A/ 5.7mm, not the specified 9mm
B/ Already 'in use' with some part so the US military ;) (see below)
C/ Ref your 'tramp on chips' remark, I would (see below)

main-qimg-0fb42005e3b9eca0f6d484191de0dcb1.png

A/ 5.7mm, not the specified 9mm
B/ Already 'in use' with some part so the US military ;) (see below)
C/ Ref your 'tramp on chips' remark, I would (see below)

View attachment 338186
The Gat or the shooter? allegedly a tidy bit of kit, but never had a go on either so unlike some on here I am unable to comment with authority on this matter. I am sure the usual lurkers will be along shortly to offer an opinion.

ref the mp7. The only other weapon I am aware of that uses the same calibre is the now cancelled HK UCP (ultimate combat pistol). Having used the mp7 I think it is a good bit of kit
for pdw/smg. Small light, accurate and sturdy. Stated range is 200m but it is still good at longer ranges.

British Nuclear Police have a semi auto only version, I believe, and I seem to remember seeing some Heer SF types toting it, , but I think you are right. Not sure it is popular. I think the cartridge didn't do well against the P90 5.7x28 in tests, but H&K went ahead with it anyway. Might have sold better if they had modified it to take the 5.7x28, as some people just inherently like H&K.
Well, I may be wrong on the popularity front - Seems to be in reasonably widespread use across the globe (at least according to Wikipedia!) - probably a result of the well oiled H&K marketing machine, as much as anything else.

ref the mp7. ........ Having used the mp7 I think it is a good bit of kit
for pdw/smg. Small light, accurate and sturdy. Stated range is 200m but it is still good at longer ranges.
I agree. I have fired the MP7 ( but only on the range with the Heer) and was quite impressed. However, having somewhat of a lack of experience of PDWs or SMGs generally (the only other things I could compare it too are the SMG and the MP5) I wouldn't be able to comment with any authority on a comparison with other kit such as the P90.

Trust me lads, all we need is to Cerakote the Sterlings in that baby-shit OD colour, weld on a few Picatinny rails, maybe some obscenely bright night sights and Bob's your uncle, the armed forces stands to make millions.

they could model a new one based on a you tube video I watched the other day. Under and over shot gun with two triggers. Bottom barrel is a 7.62 rifle. I'm thinking a 9mm barrel on the top and a short shotgun on the bottom for when it's getting crowded.

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
As others have pointed out not 9mm, the most compact on the list is the B&T MP9

Reckon it will come down to one of the following

Beretta
CZ Scorpion
B&T MP9
SIG

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
I think Short Pointy Weapon is a MUCH better name for the U.S Army's new gat [ Sub Compact Weapon (SCW) program ] personally - gets my vote :-D

Well bowled that Jock.

Dunno about them not likely to go outside the US for a supplier. They took HK for the upgrades to the M4 stable with the cross fit of parts for the front assembly IIRC. I know most were originally for the SF lot, but i thought that had been expanded across all the services now.

As others have pointed out not 9mm, the most compact on the list is the B&T MP9

Reckon it will come down to one of the following

Beretta
CZ Scorpion
B&T MP9
SIG
Aircrew have a preferred option over Syria and Iraq. B&T MP9

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Aircrew have a preferred option over Syria and Iraq. B&T MP9
I believe the Portuguese have made the B&T MP9 their standard sidearm

Edited for precision, they do still have pistols

I was once told by a Hooligan that 5.56 was the calibre of choice as short barrels work inside quite well and outside at a push. Reason was "body armour" and "9mm is pretty sh1t outside a room as a first choice and generally you're outside a room".

Sounds legit. Even RMP CP use short AR15 type 5.56. Strange the US seems to be ploughing their own furrow with 9mm.

I believe the Portuguese have made the B&T MP9 their standard sidearm

Edited for precision, they do still have pistols
Preferred choice apparently after the Jordan pilot got torched.

A lot of coalition aircrew have them.

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Preferred choice apparently after the Jordan pilot got torched.

A lot of coalition aircrew have them.
It makes more sense as a PDW than a pistol, the folding stock and front grip make it very compact, but easily deployed providing a more stable and accurate platform than a pistol. Also capable of full auto, and nice optics

Though the L22a2 is shorter than all in my list (with stock unfolded) by around 4", with the exception of the MP9, just shy of 2" longer, but 1-2 kilos heavier than all of them.

Last edited:
Would the HK53a3 qualify keeping the ammo supply simplified?
Or perhaps go back 100 years with the 9mm version.

Surely we still have some Sterling SMGs in storage somewhere? Perhaps the Americans would be interested?
You would not believe the number of chopped up Sterling 'Parts Kits' I have seen here. The body is effectively run through a bandsaw to chop it - however, enterprising individuals are selling tubes of the right size and pre-marked as to where to make the correct shaped holes so you can rebuild them.

MPX from SiG, but with the 365 production issues, the brand has taken a hit in its popularity.
I love my MPX. It'll jump back into popularity - brand placement in every telly series and film needing gats is a winner.

Read the article - I think the Zenith Z5K is a re-badged H&K MP5K. An Arizona-based company selling into the US Army, a German designed weapon made under license in Turkey. :)

MP5K Zenith Arms Z5K

Pakistani and Turkish MP5 variants built under licence abound for civilians to purchase. The Paki ones have a dodgy finish which tends to almost wash off and the Turkish ones benefit from having the odd component changed for a HK Germany made component.

MP5's whilst Sheksy, are a tad old school now with the Sig MPX being much better.

I expect everyone knows all about this, but for interest anyway....

The updated Skorpion looks a bit tasty but given the current Incumbent's mantra of 'America First' - it's hard to believe that anyone outside the USA will take the main contract.

( $200K is chicken feed, won't even cover 'bid costs'. )

...................:)
It looks nice, it shoots nice but it feels a bit big and clunky in the hand, if I had a spare, spare, $800 knocking around I would have one if I didn't want something else instead.

And, there are a multitude of shorty 9mm AR type rifle/pistols knocking around out there.