Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New US Army 42 page guide for soldiers acceptable conduct on base.

F**k me.....I've got 6 ribbons and I've had to be a very good boy, do 4 tours in 4 different shite holes and get thro a Jubilee year in good order. F*king sceptic twats just have to turn up and put some funny clothing on and that's 4 ribbons, 6 if they put it on in the right order.....
Every Septic twat in my unit in Iraq below the rank of E-7 at end of a 13 month tour received the following-

AAM-Army Achievement Medal ( I had mine removed from records)
GCM- Good Conduct Medal (unless already awarded on active duty or one of our 2 problem children* got mine in the 80's)
ARCAM- Army Reserve Components Achievement Medal (already received mine previous tour)
NDSM- National Defense Service Medal (unless awarded previously)
ICM-Iraq Campaign Medal
GWOT-S Global War on Terror Service Medal
AFRM- Armed Forces Reserve medal with M-Mobilization device (unless awarded previously) We had many NCO's on 2nd, 3rd, 4th tours at the time

* 1 lad had been court-martialed once, Imprisoned in Kuwait for 3 months, given 5 Article 15 Non-Judicial Punishments (Loss of Pay, rank, Restricted to quarters & given extra duties), finally Dishonorably Discharged while at Demobilization station

Other lad repeated weekly Alcohol violations in Iraq, Took some of the medics fentanyl from his aid bag, less than honorable discharge

I see Chandler has the CAB, but that his Bronze Star is without the V Device. In fairness, I suppose the job requires effective management experience above all else and if that's his thing ...
They still don't award them with cornflake packets though.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

Every Septic twat in my unit in Iraq below the rank of E-7 at end of a 13 month tour received the following-

GCM- Good Conduct Medal (unless already awarded on active duty or one of our 2 problem children* got mine in the 80's)
ARCAM- Army Reserve Components Achievement Medal (already received mine previous tour)
ICM-Iraq Campaign Medal
AFRM- Armed Forces Reserve medal with M-Mobilization device (unless awarded previously) We had many NCO's on 2nd, 3rd, 4th tours at the time

* 1 lad had been court-martialed once, Imprisoned in Kuwait for 3 months, given 5 Article 15 Non-Judicial Punishments (Loss of Pay, rank, Restricted to quarters & given extra duties), finally Dishonorably Discharged while at Demobilization station

Other lad repeated weekly Alcohol violations in Iraq, Took some of the medics fentanyl from his aid bag, less than honorable discharge

It's a British misconception that the American system is the same as ours. 1 medal 1 ribbon. Just in case anyone is still not clear.

My bold: Why? Did you not feel you earned it?
Yup

Also in the US Army, our promotion system is point based. Schools count for so many points, civilian education, physical fitness, weapons qualification, awards, leadership evaluations, etc.

Each is worth a certain amount of points towards promotion, not more then 50 points per category. Due to some Incidents in a previous tour I am forever maxed out in points for the category of awards and decorations. So I had since then refused any further awards and add to that I was also disgusted by the practice of handing out BSM's like candy to Senior NCO's and Officers many who never saw a live Iraqi in its natural habitat. So when demobilizing I removed the award orders and citation from my records.

I dont believe in our Awards system after I watched one of our medics have his Silver Star Medal for gallantry recommendation downgraded to an Army Commendation medal With "V" device by 3rd division staff. In the aftermath of an IED strike which cut his HMMWV he was a passenger in half- He had Shrapnel to his right eye, a shattered right leg and still was aiding the wounded and defending them with a M4 put together from 2 blasted ones from the M1025 when the QRF showed up.

RP578

LE
Book Reviewer
Goldbricker, I used to think our award system was screwed up with its stingy attitude to recognising the courage and achievement of the ordinary soldier, but maybe our frugality is preferable. At least everyone dips out equally, more or less. Still though, I do wish we had an equivalent of a CIB.

QRK2

LE
Still though, I do wish we had an equivalent of a CIB.

I've always thought a combination of cap badge and campaign medal quite sufficient. From what I've seen the CIB (and CAB) is as abused as many of the other examples cited above by Goldbricker. It also gives rise to other issues - if it's an Infantry badge what about the attached medics, FSTs etc.

D

Deleted 4886

For those of you waiting with baited breath. The answer to the above question is (stand fast ACAB) the Scots Guards.

I'm not aware of Billy Mott retiring:

1950–1951WO1 (GSM) George Howe, Irish Guards
1951–1952WO1 (GSM) Frederick Thomas Aylen, Coldstream Guards
1952–1965WO1 (GSM) George Stone, MVO MBE, Irish Guards
1965–1977WO1 (GSM) Tom Taylor, MVO MBE, Grenadier Guards
1977–1987WO1 (GSM) Alex Dumon, MVO MBE, Coldstream Guards
1987–2002WO1 (GSM) Alan G 'Perry' Mason, MVO MBE, Coldstream Guards
2002–WO1 (GSM) William 'Billy' Mott, OBE MVO, Welsh Guards
Genuine question. Its obvious they are LSL but why such a long tenure in the post?

Genuine question. Its obvious they are LSL but why such a long tenure in the post?

Maybe because it takes so long for them to become masters of ceremonial stuff that it would be a waste to change every 3 years?

I remember someone telling me that being appointed to GSM Londist is instead of them taking an LE commission, however their pay reflects the fact that they would have commissioned had they not been appointed.

I have no idea if this is true, some could be bollocks.

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
Dunno is the short answer.

I've always thought a combination of cap badge and campaign medal quite sufficient. From what I've seen the CIB (and CAB) is as abused as many of the other examples cited above by Goldbricker. It also gives rise to other issues - if it's an Infantry badge what about the attached medics, FSTs etc.
Well as to Combat Badges like the CIB, since 1945 Medics have been eligible for the CMB- Combat Medics Badge
http://www.tioh.hqda.pentagon.mil/Catalog/Heraldry.aspx?HeraldryId=15451&CategoryId=9361&grp=2&menu=Uniformed Services&ps=24&p=0
Prior to 1945 Medics had been initially awarded CIB and combat pay but this was withdrawn in late 43 as it was thought-
1-You dont fight so dont qualify for combat pay.....
2- If captured the CIB might result in being executed for somehow violating the Geneva conventions

8–7. Combat Medical Badge
a. Eligibility requirements for the Combat Medical Badge (CMB) are as follows:
(1) The CMB may be awarded to members of the Army Medical Department (Colonels and below), the Naval
Medical Department (Captains and below), the Air Force Medical Service (Colonels and below), assigned or attached
by appropriate orders to an infantry unit of brigade, regimental, or smaller size, or to a medical unit of company or
smaller size, organic to an infantry unit of brigade or smaller size, during any period the infantry unit is engaged in
actual ground combat on or after 6 December 1941. Battle participation credit alone is not sufficient; the infantry unit
must have been in contact with the enemy.
(2) Award of the CMB will not be made to general or flag officers.

(1) Like the CIB, the Regimental Commander was the lowest level at which the CMB could be approved and it also
carried with it a separate provision for enlisted badge holders to receive a $10 per month pay stipend.
(2) The CMB was created as a "companion" badge to the CIB with criteria for its award intended to parallel that of
the CIB. It was designed to provide recognition to the field medic who accompanies the infantryman into battle and
shares with the experiences unique to the infantry in combat. There was never any intention to award the CMB to al
medical personnel
who serve in a combat zone or imminent danger area, that is, a division-level medical company
supporting a maneuver brigade.
(3) As with the CIB, the infantry unit to which the medical personnel are assigned or attached must engage the
enemy in active ground combat. Since inception, the intent of the Department of the Army regarding this requirement
has been that medical personnel must be personally present and under fire in order to be eligible for the awarding of
the badge. So stringent was this requirement during the Vietnam era that recommending officials were required to
document the place (in six digit coordinates), time, type, and intensity of fire to which the proposed recipient was
exposed. This fact naturally precludes the awarding of the badge to those medical personnel who accompany infantry
units into a potential engagement area but do not come under enemy fire.
(4) Over the years, there has been some confusion concerning the phrase "...in direct support of an infantry unit...".
The CMB is intended for, and awarded to, those medical personnel who accompany the infantryman into combat.

ICM-Iraq Campaign Medal

Are the other arms similar? If you'd been in the Navy would you still have been awarded seven just their navy equivalents? Am I right in thinking that the USMC is a bit stingeier?

Are the other arms similar? If you'd been in the Navy would you still have been awarded seven just their navy equivalents? Am I right in thinking that the USMC is a bit stingeier?

Honestly I have no idea about the other branches.

I should explain this was a ARNG unit so several of the awards pertain only to Reserve/Guard deployments

The Army Good Conduct Medal is Normally awarded after a satisfactory 3 year regular army enlistment, but it was written in the 1950's that Reserve & Guard mobilized for active duty could receive it after as little as 1 year federal service. The ARCAM is similar to a reserve good conduct medal- 3 years satisfactory service but again get mobilized you qualify

The Armed Forces Reserve Medal is Normally awarded after serving 10 years but can be awarded to a reservist with 1 year service if deployed federally

I should explain this was a ARNG unit so several of the awards pertain only to Reserve/Guard deployments

The Army Good Conduct Medal is Normally awarded after a satisfactory 3 year regular army enlistment, but it was written in the 1950's that Reserve & Guard mobilized for active duty could receive it after as little as 1 year federal service. The ARCAM is similar to a reserve good conduct medal- 3 years satisfactory service but again get mobilized you qualify

The Armed Forces Reserve Medal is Normally awarded after serving 10 years but can be awarded to a reservist with 1 year service if deployed federally

There's probably an app for working it out. So theoretically you could end up with more medals by deploying as a reservist than a regular on the same tour?

Before we go pointing and laughing about the Americans and this direction we should have a look at ourselves. I'm far from a BS merchant, never done instructor posting etc but even I'm starting to dispair. There appears to be a lack of willingness amongst JNCOs to grip the blokes for absolute basics or it is perfectly acceptable to cut around in camp in front of RHQ with your hands in your pockets etc? It's all a matter of playing the game and knowing what's acceptable.
A unit I served with spent pretty much 3 years either on tour or an exercise, as a result in the back end of 2003 we were cutting around like a bunch of tramps. In comes a new RSM and Provo Sgt who were on a mission to pull our in camp standards up. We whined like fcuk at the time but looking back now, with hindsight, I can completely understand why it was needed.

That is correct. Two of these awards (ARCAM & AFRM) are Guard/Reserve Medals only and Regulars are not entitled to receive them. The Regulars usually get only the appropriate campaign Medal (Iraq or Afghanistan) for their time in country when they're chinned off at the PAC Center at the out processing site. If they're lucky, they might get an Army Achievement Medal or an Army Commendation Medal for their tour, but that's not guaranteed. They have to wait until the expiration of their term of service to "earn" the Good Conduct Medal. It was 3 years Active Federal Service for the initial award when I was in and it was usually processed when one was at the Transfer Point waiting to be demobbed. (Expiration Term of Service)The Good Conduct Medal was not automatic either; you had to be recommended by your commanding officer for it. That's when soldiers who were expecting to get one at their ETS found out that those Article 15s and memoranda of counseling did count. (NJP) and their commander disapproved the paperwork for the medal because he felt that Snuffy was a real dirt-bag and didn't deserve it. Oh well, How sad, Never mind.

LeeErmey.jpg

Latest Threads