Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New US Army 42 page guide for soldiers acceptable conduct on base.

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
does this book mention 'not going postal and shooting people on base?'

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
does this book mention 'not going postal and shooting people on base?'

Don't be silly, that would interfere with the constitutional right to arm bears or some such...

'RSM gets bored and acting like a bell end'

What news of Mafeking?

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
'RSM gets bored and acting like a bell end'

What news of Mafeking?

May I refer the Honourable Gentleman to Post #5 in the latest version of the thread "British Army Answerphone"? It'll save me from cutting and pasting.

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
It is a regiment from HM's Brigade of Foot Guards.

Big deal. I've got the same bling. The only one that I don't have is the Legion of Merit; the Bronze Star Medal; the Iraq Campaign Medal (I left the Army in 1999); the Global War on Terrorism ribbon (established after Sep 11, 2001) and the Armed Forces Service Medal which is a generic catch-all medal created in 1992 for any activity not recognized by another campaign or expeditionary medal. (His is probably for service in the Balkans.) I don't have the new Combat Action Badge either, but that was established after I left the service. It was created for clerks and jerks who were rotating in Iraq and were jealous of the Combat Infantry Badge (but were ineligible for it because they weren't 11B/C or 18B MOS (Infantryman and Special Forces). It was created so that they would have something to wear on their uniform that says "I saw the elephant" in Iraq.

I shouldn't take the fact that his Bronze Star has no "V" device too much to heart. It was probably an "end of tour" award that Senior NCOs and officers awarded themselves in Iraq. My friend who was there in 2007 told me it was the true gen.:-D (He was awarded "only" the Army Commendation Medal at end of tour solely because he was only a Master Sergeant (E- 8 (he says) :-D ) A lower enlisted person with such an award as a Bronze Star was rare for Iraq and probably had an interesting story behind it.

View attachment 182021

F**k me.....I've got 6 ribbons and I've had to be a very good boy, do 4 tours in 4 different shite holes and get thro a Jubilee year in good order. F*king sceptic twats just have to turn up and put some funny clothing on and that's 4 ribbons, 6 if they put it on in the right order.....

ACAB

LE
Cmmand Sgt. Maj. David Clark has a few rules for his Fort Carson soldiers - 42 pages worth.

We used to have something similar. It was called the Army Act 1955.

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
Big deal. I've got the same bling. The only one that I don't have is the Legion of Merit; the Bronze Star Medal; the Iraq Campaign Medal (I left the Army in 1999); the Global War on Terrorism ribbon (established after Sep 11, 2001) and the Armed Forces Service Medal which is a generic catch-all medal created in 1992 for any activity not recognized by another campaign or expeditionary medal. (His is probably for service in the Balkans.) I don't have the new Combat Action Badge either, but that was established after I left the service. It was created for clerks and jerks who were rotating in Iraq and were jealous of the Combat Infantry Badge (but were ineligible for it because they weren't 11B/C or 18B MOS (Infantryman and Special Forces). It was created so that they would have something to wear on their uniform that says "I saw the elephant" in Iraq.

I shouldn't take the fact that his Bronze Star has no "V" device too much to heart. It was probably an "end of tour" award that Senior NCOs and officers awarded themselves in Iraq. My friend who was there in 2007 told me it was the true gen.:-D (He was awarded "only" the Army Commendation Medal at end of tour solely because he was only a Master Sergeant (E- 8 (he says) :-D ) A lower enlisted person with such an award as a Bronze Star was rare for Iraq and probably had an interesting story behind it.

View attachment 182021

So you don't have six of the awards that he has.

Glad that we cleared that up.

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
...of which both the Machine Gun Guards and the Royal Reserve Guards were a part.

From c1950 on. Which is when the GSM (LONDIST) came into being.

Rolls downhill from the SMA Sergeant Major of the Army Chandler. Another Putz when he became a E-9.

Most of these guys are chosen because they are ********* not field soldiers
Sounds familiar, I remember talking to one of our guys who was a CSgt at the time, and had recently been told the plan for the remainder of his career, providing he kept his nose clean, good reports etc.

There were two CSgts with the same seniority, and he was told whether he or the other CSgt got RSM of the Bn depended on whether we were part of the field army or London District at the time.

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
There has never been a GSM (LONDIST) from anywhere but the Brigade of Guards.

Here's a question for you. Since the inception of the GSM (LONDIST) which is the only regiment of Foot Guards not to have supplied the GSM?

No cheating on wiki.

For those of you waiting with baited breath. The answer to the above question is (stand fast ACAB) the Scots Guards.

I'm not aware of Billy Mott retiring:

1950–1951WO1 (GSM) George Howe, Irish Guards
1951–1952WO1 (GSM) Frederick Thomas Aylen, Coldstream Guards
1952–1965WO1 (GSM) George Stone, MVO MBE, Irish Guards
1965–1977WO1 (GSM) Tom Taylor, MVO MBE, Grenadier Guards
1977–1987WO1 (GSM) Alex Dumon, MVO MBE, Coldstream Guards
1987–2002WO1 (GSM) Alan G 'Perry' Mason, MVO MBE, Coldstream Guards
2002–WO1 (GSM) William 'Billy' Mott, OBE MVO, Welsh Guards

ACAB

LE
I always thought Jim Bunton would have made an excellent GSM. He carried out his duties as RSM 2nd Battalion Scots Guards during Trooping the Colour in 1979 with a broken ankle.

Point of Order @Mr_Fingerz, Scots Guards don't 'Stand Fast', they 'Stand Still'.

Last edited:

HHH

GCM
For those of you waiting with baited breath. The answer to the above question is (stand fast ACAB) the Scots Guards.

And If anyone is interested here is a link for background on them,

http://www.trooping-the-colour.co.uk/gsm/index.htm

I'm sure I've seen a video with him retiring, according to Faceache it's a Coldstreamer replacing him, the day after the QBP.

Latest Threads