Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New US Army 42 page guide for soldiers acceptable conduct on base.

I see Chandler has the CAB, but that his Bronze Star is without the V Device. In fairness, I suppose the job requires effective management experience above all else and if that's his thing ...

Big deal. I've got the same bling. The only one that I don't have is the Legion of Merit; the Bronze Star Medal; the Iraq Campaign Medal (I left the Army in 1999); the Global War on Terrorism ribbon (established after Sep 11, 2001) and the Armed Forces Service Medal which is a generic catch-all medal created in 1992 for any activity not recognized by another campaign or expeditionary medal. (His is probably for service in the Balkans.) I don't have the new Combat Action Badge either, but that was established after I left the service. It was created for clerks and jerks who were rotating in Iraq and were jealous of the Combat Infantry Badge (but were ineligible for it because they weren't 11B/C or 18B MOS (Infantryman and Special Forces). It was created so that they would have something to wear on their uniform that says "I saw the elephant" in Iraq.

I shouldn't take the fact that his Bronze Star has no "V" device too much to heart. It was probably an "end of tour" award that Senior NCOs and officers awarded themselves in Iraq. My friend who was there in 2007 told me it was the true gen.:-D (He was awarded "only" the Army Commendation Medal at end of tour solely because he was only a Master Sergeant (E- 8 (he says) :-D ) A lower enlisted person with such an award as a Bronze Star was rare for Iraq and probably had an interesting story behind it.

CHandler_s Medal Rack.JPG

Last edited:
D

Deleted 4886

Sgt Maj does Sgt Maj stuff when there's nothing else to do- nothing new there. next they'll be painting rocks and having CO's Gardens competitions!

D

Deleted 60082

Different army different ethos.............. I fail to see fags verboten in the field though...
I was shocked in the late 1990s, when working with the Army in Balkans, of the extent of smoking amongst soldiers. I remember a Sapper explaining how much money he was saving by smoking choice Balkans floor sweepings at about 40 ppp. Fast forward 10 years to Afghan(istan); to my mind, smoking levels had dropped considerably, but I haven't found any stats that back this up. I sense, though, rank and education levels influence whether someone smokes.

Does this manual cover the rule not to raid the women's drying rooms to nick undies?

Does it cover what to do when the ROS/Ord Officer catches you in the Sqn/Coy bar stioll boozing after the official closing time?

Does it also cover not to give 'Code Reds' to weaker members of the Platoon/Troop and does it cover where the Mess Hall is, as it wasn't covered in the manual for the Guantanamo Bay Naval Base?

Is that the one with the knife?
/nowah
[D.I. hat on] Yes. It's actually a representation of a bayonet covering a baseball-style hand grenade. The hand grenade can be a little hard to make out, but it's there.[/D.I.hat off]

Actually, except for the war against smoking, even in the field, which I consider mental, I don't have a disagreement with any of the other items mentioned to help tighten up discipline for the troops in garrison. That's what we had to work with during the period after Vietnam wound down and before the Gulf War started in 1991.

That bit about smoking while walking about is this while in civies or in uniform?

ACAB

LE
That bit about smoking while walking about is this while in civies or in uniform?

In the Guards you couldn't do it either which I completely agree with.

Edited to add: Unless you were smoking a pipe. You could do that in uniform as well. I believe the Welsh Guards could actually smoke a pipe whilst mounting Public Duties on the word of command 'Stand Easy'.

I stand to be corrected, of course, but as I'm never wrong there is zero chance of that.

RP578

LE
Book Reviewer
Frankly I dont trust any fruit salad on a Officer or NCO unless there's a CIB and a V device ARCOM or BSM, Purple Heart medal to go with it.

I remember that reading something by David Hackworth, where he discounted automatically any valourous award given to anyone above captain unless accompanied by a Purple Heart. Surprised to see that the NCO Corps has gone the same way.

I was shocked in the late 1990s, when working with the Army in Balkans, of the extent of smoking amongst soldiers. I remember a Sapper explaining how much money he was saving by smoking choice Balkans floor sweepings at about 40 ppp. Fast forward 10 years to Afghan(istan); to my mind, smoking levels had dropped considerably, but I haven't found any stats that back this up. I sense, though, rank and education levels influence whether someone smokes.

Is that why the EFI got a sad on with soldiers buying "dangerous" cigerettes from the choggie shops instead of their safe cigerettes? (and yes some belter of an officer tried to take action to stop them).

With all due respect "Cmmand Sgt. Maj. David Clark" comes across as an insufferable prick.

I think he's been taking lessons from the Brits, at least he's confining it to a base in the USA. We have ironed, tucked in uniforms in Afghanistan and someone reported on this site that some chimp of a Lt Col stood at the bastion cookhouse entrance inspecting people.

What do all those 4s, stars, silver and bronze little bugs and short length of barbed-wire stand for?

MsG

Oak Leaf Clusters = Multiple Awards of that medal.

A bronze or silver twig of four oak leaves with three acorns on the stem, 13/32 inch (1.03cm) long for the suspension ribbon, and 5/16 inch (.79cm) long for the service ribbon bar and the unit award emblem is issued to denote award of second and succeeding awards of decorations (other than the Air Medal), the Army Reserve Components Achievement Medal, and unit awards. A silver Oak Leaf Cluster is worn instead of five Bronze Oak Leaf Clusters. Oak Leaf Clusters are not issued for the Legion of Merit awarded in degrees to foreign nationals. The 5/16 inch (.79cm) Oak Leaf Clusters joined together in series of 2, 3, and 4 clusters are authorized for optional purchase and wear of service ribbons and unit award emblems.

Good Conduct service knots = Multiple Awards of that medal. The initial award is made upon satsfactory completion of 3 years of service; subsequent completion of 3 years of satisfactory service is recognized by a bar with a knot in it. Bronze= Awards 2 to 5; Silver = Awards 6 to 10 Gold = Awards 11 to 15. I was hoofed out for old age before I completed the period of service I needed to qualify for a silver knot so I have a bar of bronze with 5 knots in it on my good conduct medal.

A 1/8 inch (.32cm) by 1 3/8 inches (3.49cm) bar of bronze, silver or gold, with loops indicative of each period of service. The bronze clasps are worn for the 2d through 5th award; silver 6th through 10th award; gold 11th through 15th award respectively.

Service Stars

Service stars are worn on campaign and service ribbons to denote an additional award. The service star is a bronze or silver five-pointed star 3/16 inch (.48cm) in diameter. A silver star is worn instead of five bronze service stars. The bronze star is also affixed to the parachutist badge to denote participation in a combat parachutist jump, retroactive to 7 Dec 1941.

Numerals

Arabic numerals 3/16 inch (.48cm) in height are issued instead of a medal or ribbon for second and subsequent awards of the Air Medal, Multinational Force and Observers Medal, Overseas Service Ribbon and the Army Reserve Components Overseas Training Ribbon. The ribbon denotes the first award and numerals starting with the numeral 2 denote the additional awards. The numeral worn on the NCO Professional Development Ribbon will denote the highest completed level of NCO development. The numerals are to be centered on the suspension ribbon of the medal or the ribbon bar.

Before mocking it is worth remembering we belong to an army that can't give clear direction on how to wear its own uniform......

ACAB

LE
I think he's been taking lessons from the Brits, at least he's confining it to a base in the USA. We have ironed, tucked in uniforms in Afghanistan and someone reported on this site that some chimp of a Lt Col stood at the bastion cookhouse entrance inspecting people.
I think you will find that the 'chimp' was a GSM from the Royal Signals. And yes,he would rant and rave and wave his pace stick (no duff!) about like he was GSM LONDIST on Horse Guards, the utter feckin spanner. Needless to say he was loved and respected by all (snigger)

I think you will find that the 'chimp' was a GSM from the Royal Signals. And yes,he would rant and rave and wave his pace stick (no duff!) about like he was GSM LONDIST on Horse Guards, the utter feckin spanner. Needless to say he was loved and respected by all (snigger)

A signaller GSM of London District? I think not - surely this is the prerogative of the Foot Guards?

I think we are talking about a different spanner, this one was definately a Lt Col. There were many a bellthronk over there who didnt have a proper job so had to be **** to those who did.
What this yank has done is appears fairly mild, even his smoking bans will become the norm eventully. (Anyone thinking the British army knows better than to smoke when on stag should have seen the large piles of fag butts in the Bastion sangars, that is of course when they werent reading magazines, watching a dvd, sleeping etc).

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
A signaller GSM of London District? I think not - surely this is the prerogative of the Foot Guards?

There has never been a GSM (LONDIST) from anywhere but the Brigade of Guards.

Here's a question for you. Since the inception of the GSM (LONDIST) which is the only regiment of Foot Guards not to have supplied the GSM?

No cheating on wiki.

Latest Threads