New Unit in South Uk without a name yet????

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by steven8661, Jun 17, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Im re-joining and am due in next month (REME)im due to be posted to a new unit, and after asking around up in Catterick apparently someone has been posted there too, and its a new unit that hasnt been named yet.

There are no Married Quarters so the guy is keeping his quarter in Catterick at the moment. Im waiting to find out where abouts it is and what unit it is off the guy as i dont know him in person?

Seems at bit wierd having no married quarters for a unit, which makes me think it a load of balls, but you never know with the MoD and its planning.

Just putting the question out to anyone who knows of this or im i barking up the wrong tree?

2. We can't tell you as it's a secret.

Allegedly.

Lits

3. nice one cheers for that!

4. You're looking for a unit but you don't know what it is called?

Search for newly formed REME units on the t'interweb... one (down south) is 1o1 Force Support Bn REME. TA but seems to have some reg units attached.

Not too sure about these mixed units... but that could also be why there are no quarters. You may end up in a hiring if so.

5. Cheers chocolate frog ill look for that one,

Ive only been out since sept and live in Catterick so im not that out of touch with info etc but apparently the careers office stripey told me that the girl on the desk at glasgow was trying to get hold of my unit which is a new unit
    Ive heard of someone being posted to a unit in the south which isnt named yet from catterick too

6. 1st Bn Forlorn hope

7. Google has inserted two small ads at the top of my screen on this thread:

One for a Catterick hotel and the other for female hygiene sanitary bins!

:D

Lits

8. is this banter? i havnt been out that long!

9. Gen up

Lt Col Richard Sharpe is the CO. Moving across from the 95th Rifles Company. So Brand new CO, 1st appt.

Should be an exciting time, starting everything up a fresh.
    The role of the unit will be breeching enemy strongholds. ie Afghan and all the compounds. After that they re-role to something else, that is still on the drawing boards.

Enjoy and welcome back.

10. Can you tell us what Forlorn Hope actually means?

11. Forlorn Hope

[WAH Cloak ON] - A napoleonic spear-head team, used for entering a sieged fortresses first. The Jnr Officer was traditionally given a medal before leading the attack through the wall. As seen in a episode of Sharpe IIRC [/WAH Cloak OFF]

12. 'Lt Col Richard Sharpe is the CO. Moving across from the 95th Rifles Company'

'A napoleonic spear-head team, used for entering a sieged fortresses first. The Jnr Officer was traditionally given a medal before leading the attack through the wall. As seen in a episode of Sharpe IIRC '

Hmmmmm Lt Col Sharpe from the 95th rifles coy heading up a napoleonic spear head team.

It Florence Nightingale going to be heading up up the med centre?

13. Completing a PPP? :)

P-T

14. And the (often very) few survivors could expect some accelerated promotion - possible battlefield comissions for NCO's for example. The junior officers who led such detachments and survived could potentially dine out on the glory for years. The attrition rate was however dreadful even for a successful assault.

The Forlorn Hope was (theoretically) provided by volunteers in search of loot or glory but this in fact often only applied to the leaders, both Officers and NCO's. Others, when insufficient numbers came forward, could find themselves detailed for this task. They would often advance into direct cannon fire. The soldiers thought of it as virtual suicide - hence little hope of survival - they were the "Forlorn Hope".

The British soldier has a history of providing some very successful examples of this strategy. The sudden manifestation of such suicidal courage had the effect of unnerving even the most professional of enemy defences. Other nation's military, even into the 20thC, did of course have their equivalent of the Forlorn Hope but we tend to think of it as essentially British.

15. No the unit you are talking about is in Bordon which has loads of pads and if they all get full blokes get stuck on the patch in Fleet.

Although that is the only newly formed REME unit in the south I can think of.