new UK rifle

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by mudbloodgreenfieldsbeyond, Jul 25, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. sorry if already coverd, had a mate who went to the war and peace show last week,and on a stand was a mock up of the the new joint rifle my enfield,hk and fn fal, left or right fire,2x calibers,looked very good,bods on stand (from hk) said poss in service date 2012,any one got any more info or pics??
  2. Can't wait to try it on the range...

3. thats the one !!!!
  4. That's obviously the 4x caliber boy error perhaps?
  5. Sorry, I posted the Sneaky Beaky one by mistake!
  6. come on people someone must of seen this stand at the show or seen it before ?
  7. SA80 replacement ISD 2015. Open source info for the last 5 years. However, no direct contracts have been let so any product you have seen is the manufacturer positioning themselves.
  8. Yawn, yawn....

Here we go around this buoy for the umpteenth time...

The deal has been done for the HK G36. The Infantry will start receiving it in 2015, followed by the rest.

So can we just put this thread to bed here and now?
  9. I don't think so! The project is still in the research programme (pre-concept) and no such deal has been done. The actual ISD has not yet been fixed and won't be until a main gate decision is reached. It's also pretty well known that the G36 didn't do particularly well as a benchmark during the SA80A2 trials.
  10. gun-nut

You are correct. 2015 is the long standing planning date but we all know they slip (sometimes). Its complicated by Thales acknowledging they didn't deliver the major SA80 mods during FIST trials last year, which could indicate a change in plans.
  11. ive missed something here,ive heartd so many rumors about replacements,but this hybid weapon by hk,fn fal etc is the only hard copy ive seen,have the powers to be said yes we are hetting the g36 as a replacement?, sorry if uve coverd this before
  12. mud

No decision has been made. As gun-nut said, there are many procurement hoops to jump through first. The only consistency on the subject is that, for at least the last 5 years, the planning assumption has been that SA80 will be replaced in 2015 as part of the FIST programme. However, FIST hasn't even got Main Gate for phase 1, and ISD has apparently slipped to 2010. Think of SA80 replacement in terms of phase 3, and phase 2 hasn't got off the ground yet. Precisely what the replacement is or can do will depend in part on what, if anything, emerges from the FIST phase 1 Rapid Area Effects requirement. At one time, Thales and MoD indicated this would be a USGL attached to SA80 and integrated into a clever HUD (Head Up Display) / targetting system / BOWMAN. However, despite this being proven in trials, Thales recently acknowledged (at DVD) that they had not progressed the work already carried out by MoD / DSTL and such a capability was not produced during last years Assessment Phase trials (the results of which underpin Main Gate). That being so, it would appear RAE, and the necessary mods to SA80, has been descoped. Bottom line is that it is too early to say for sure what will happen. You can read about this, and see pictures of old trials kit, on various sites - MoD, Thales, BAeS. Or visit ITDU. Last time I was there they had a static display just inside the front door. This isn't a mock-up. It's real kit which worked during earlier trials. Hope this helps.
  13. Any chance of someone more IT capable than me putting a picture up?
  14. Here or here.

Hope this soothes your fetish :wink: