New UK Army 2* post in Kuwait - mission creep in the middle east?

jim30

LE
Interesting little snippet in the Times military appointments section today confirming that a UK Army 2* has been appointed to the Middle East as the Deputy Commander, Joint Task Force. This is a brand new post, and the incumbent has been promoted from 1* to fill it.

So we've now gone from having airdrops to refugees through to seeing brand new 2* posts being created in region to lead Task Forces. Mission creep or just SDSR cap badge protectionism?

Heard a rumour of this last month. Can't imagine that it will be just one man either. How big will the staff be (etc)? Expect more positions to follow. Remember: we are an Army in desperate need of some operational deployments right now (to safeguard future numbers and ensure the continued flow of CBEs etc).

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Interesting little snippet in the Times military appointments section today confirming that a UK Army 2* has been appointed to the Middle East as the Deputy Commander, Joint Task Force. This is a brand new post, and the incumbent has been promoted from 1* to fill it.

So we've now gone from having airdrops to refugees through to seeing brand new 2* posts being created in region to lead Task Forces. Mission creep or just SDSR cap badge protectionism?

Out of interest, who is it? Won't be a PERSEC issue if published in media

jim30

LE
"As long as a 2* post elsewhere has dropped to 1* it should all be fine."

nope - brand new slot by the look of things. First rule of war, increase the star count!

I wonder if the Land Forces, EAW and UKMCC will report to him, or are we going to sustain the TELIC/HERRICKism of a National Contingent Commander who doesn't have OPCON/M of the UK's forces in theatre?

Last edited:

jim30

LE
Absolutely nothing to do with Kuwait exports. I can categorically 100% confirm this (and those who know me for real know I am very well placed to confirm this!).

Ref ATG - not sure, look at star count in Middle East JOA and I make it a 2* in Cyprus, a 2* in Kuwait, 1* in Bahrain, a 1* in Qatar and thats before you look at the regional advisor and DAs out there which adds about another half a dozen 1-2* posts.

S0I

LE
the Kuwaitis, Saudis and Emirates will pay us handsomely to ensure the angry beards they unleashed in the Levant don't come after their heads.

Absolutely nothing to do with Kuwait exports. I can categorically 100% confirm this (and those who know me for real know I am very well placed to confirm this!).

Ref ATG - not sure, look at star count in Middle East JOA and I make it a 2* in Cyprus, a 2* in Kuwait, 1* in Bahrain, a 1* in Qatar and thats before you look at the regional advisor and DAs out there which adds about another half a dozen 1-2* posts.

If only we had some kind of Joint HQ, with an overarching boss to run the entire show; perhaps with a 2* Ops deputy and an Ops Support team....

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
"As long as a 2* post elsewhere has dropped to 1* it should all be fine."

nope - brand new slot by the look of things. First rule of war, increase the star count!
Quick google on Bob Bruce shows this was in the Independent and Mirror last week.

Former Royal Scot, he is a good commander and I hope this does not turn into a 'career foul' if things go tits up. Certainly noticeable that MoD promoted into the post rather than use a current 2*. IMHO they have made a good choice of commander.

Maj Gen Bruce.
Interesting that Bob Bruce's last job was as Director Combat - which he had to drop and gap at very short notice.

Some might say that in the lead up to SDR15 - with around £10M of combat equipment at stake, and some major organisational changes afoot - that perhaps this is not well timed...

This thread is dripping cynicism; do you all really believe that Braid would only do things in the interests of Braid? The very idea. Flounce.

Latest Threads