New u.s. Rifle that shoots around corners

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by trademarklondon, Nov 30, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. a daily mail story :-D CLICK HERE looks interesting.
  2. Nothing like accurate reporting is there...
  3. The daily mail really should have its own page here..... the daily mash is better :-D
  4. On further reading they do seem to get it right, it was just their opening statement that is a rather shoddy description.
  5. It's not April the First, is it?

Let's see, 2,300 ft is about 700 m ... 'well out of the reach of conventional rifles'. Must have a word with those people from Barret and Accuracy Systems. :evil:

12,500 = 1 for every member of infantry and SF. Out of idle curiosity, do the US Army know about the swinging cuts that are going to be imposed on them? Makes SDR look like a minor reshuffle.

What good is a weapon that allows the enemy to run away? It would be useless against certain European Nations and if said nations' troops ever learn to fire a gun whilst advancing in a rearward direction ...
  6. Didn't the Boxheads invent something like this in the second world war?
  7. Not if you read the article no.
  8. quote from good old "Stevie" boy under the comments to the Daily Mail article, classic,

I used the prototype version of this a couple of years ago when I was a special agent in the SAS. It very nearly fell into enemy hands when I was on covert ops, but I was able to retrieve it and cross the border into friendly territory. The Americans developed this modified rifle from the debriefing I gave them. It's not something I like to talk about.

- Steve, Dubai, 30/11/2010 5:06

Read more: New US Army rifles use radio-controlled smart bullets to be used in Afghanistan | Mail Online
  9. Yeah, read that..... he's a modest sort of guy.... perfectly believable, I hear he also has the Victoria Cross with 7 bars :-D
  10. maybe, just maybe, thanks to Stevie s crucial donation to 21st century weapons developments, we can change the world for better,.........

"Yeh, not a bad bit of kit, can recommend to all aspiring secret-agents" ("Stevie", Nov.09)
  11. JJH made a post on this XM25 thingy HERE There are also some videos on YouTube
  12. I did hear tell from an Uncle who was with RE BD with Monty's army that there was an MG42 barrel extension that had a curve to it with an angular lense which allowed the gun group to fire round corners in comparative safety, it was subject to very heavy wear and not too reliable.
  13. The Krummlauf Vorsatz was an attachment made for the STG.44. I can't post a link from work but there's a good picture on Worldguns