New tyres on the back? Or the front?

Discussion in 'Cars, Bikes 'n AFVs' started by putteesinmyhands, May 11, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I know that, correctly, all five tyres should be rotated around the car at regular intervals to maintain even wear and hence handling, but in common with probably 99.9% of drivers, my tyres stay in the same place until the front ones wear down. This has the advantage that I'm not hit with the cost of replacing five tyres all in one go.

I've always been of the belief that when you replace a pair of tyres, the new ones go on the front, the reasoning being that the grip of the new tyres improves braking and steering.

Then I found this: http://www.etyres.co.uk/flashmovies/new-tyres-rear-etyres.htm

I can see their point, though I'm still loathe to sacrifice my braking (60%+ on the front wheels) and dry-surface handling for improved wet-surface handling.

Comments?

2. The front tyres bear all the weight when the car is breaking. Change them from front to back every couple of months.

3. I had 2 on my focus st and the garage recomended thay went on the rear,still had them on the front tho.

4. IME, I will get through 3 or 4 sets of front to one rear. Therefore new ones on the back while there is still plenty of tread on the rears. That way the rear tyres never get down to, " Oh fcuk, where's the back end going to?" levels.

5. Put them on the front. The front do all your steering and most of your stopping.

6. From
    http://www.tyresafe.org/news-and-events/detail/motorists-get-their-tyres--back-to-front--/

"As the majority of the cars on the road are front wheel drive, it seems to make sense to have the new tyres up front. The demonstrations also showed that there is often a greater loss of control when a rear tyre suffers a puncture, so in fact it makes greater sense to fit the fresh, less vulnerable rubber to the rear wheels. "

I would tend to be in the "new tyres on the front for extra grip" camp. I used to rotate all my tyres regularly(ish) so they would wear evenly but a lot of tyres now are directional so can only be used on one side of the car so I generally don't bother.

7. That works brilliantly unless you have a car like mine: the rear wheels are a completely different size to the front 2!

From owning various sheds over the years, I applied the guide that if the car was front wheel drive then the new shoes went on the front. If rear wheel drive then they went onto the rear.

Attached Files:

9. If the front end looses grip, you understeer,
    If that back end goes you get oversteer....

Understeer is a LOT easier to recover from!

10. Bollocks.

Sorry edited to add- Often or in the majority of cases? I know which i would prefer.

11. Last week whilst doing 60 I suffered a blow out in my left rear tyre and I suffered virtually no loss of control at all, just a sudden feeling of towing a tank.

12. New tyres should always go on the drive axle. Rear wheel drive cars generally have a more equal amount of wear all round as the worst pressures of drive and braking are separated between the two axles. Front wheel drives unfortunately have the two pressures concentrated on the front axle, therefore its wise to swap tyres between the axles every 3 months depending on how hard the vehicle is used. As for punctures, it depends what the car is doing at the time. In a straight line, fronts will be worse than rears, but both will cause a headache if cornering.

13. Best tyres should always go on the rear of the vehicle. One reason is because the vast majority of drivers lose control from the rear. This applies regardless of whether the vehicle is front, rear or four wheel drive. Motorbikes are different because tyres are different sizes and are replaced as needed.