New tsunami

SLRboy said:
tattoelady,
the tsunami that happened two years ago both horrified me and broke my heart as it did so many of us.

I had friends in Thailand at the time who fortunately were safe.
Now what gets me is how so many people jump to wrong conclusions.

It is not the power, as such, of an earth quake that causes a tsunami but its location.
The one a couple of years ago happened right on the line between two plates.
This forced one plate under the other.
And it was the rising of the other plate, not so much the earth quake itself that caused the tsunami to happen with such dreadful results.

And its because of this small yet salient little bit of knowledge coupled with the ability to ask questions and not jump instantly to conclusions I knew that in the case of the Taiwan earth quake we didn't have much to worry about.
OK, if you're going to try and start acting clever we can talk about the earthquake focus, combined with the possibilty of high tides, low pressure systems and the type of earthquake wave; and resulting severity.

All these things I know, however, information provided online did not give the information on how close to the plate boundary, how close to the surface, and what type of movement (plate rebound in case of 2004 tsunami). However, as you're so clever you also know that the richter scale is a measure of energy released in the earthquake, and is not an arithmetic scale. Therefore the severity of any possible tsunami is greately magnified with the difference between a "7" and a "9". So the amount of energy released in an earthquake does impact on the severity of any possible tsunami.

Or do you want to try and be properly clever? I can prove you properly wrong on plate tectonics if you so wish?

Obviously you know everything there is to know about politics and conspiracy theories... or not...

Cnut
 
suits_U said:
crabby said:
Although informative crabby, I especially liked this bit, and thought it rounded off your well structured argument rather well. :lol:
Well thank you, I do try.

To have turned a piece of information; that became good news into a wind up indicates the lowest of the low.
 
SLRboy said:
tattoelady,
the tsunami that happened two years ago both horrified me and broke my heart as it did so many of us.

I had friends in Thailand at the time who fortunately were safe.
Now what gets me is how so many people jump to wrong conclusions.

It is not the power, as such, of an earth quake that causes a tsunami but its location.
The one a couple of years ago happened right on the line between two plates.
This forced one plate under the other.
And it was the rising of the other plate, not so much the earth quake itself that caused the tsunami to happen with such dreadful results.

And its because of this small yet salient little bit of knowledge coupled with the ability to ask questions and not jump instantly to conclusions I knew that in the case of the Taiwan earth quake we didn't have much to worry about.
[align=center]
[/align]
 

Awol

LE
The media really are heartless tw@ts.

There are up to a dozen sizable (strength 4 and above) earthquakes every single day of the year, but are they newsworthy? Are they bollox. Get to Boxing day though and it's suddenly scare-mongering overdrive time, especially as it's famously a no-news day.

http://www.iris.edu/seismon/last30.html

Never mind the millions who are going to find it hard enough to get through the day anyway, let's rake up the past and dig out the old footage just to pad out the news footage.

Slrboy... how many times have you been awarded the O2 tag so far? Three? I suspect that this time the label might be for keeps, and no amount of snivelling PMs to the COs is going to help.

Tosser.

Merry Christmas to everyone else. :wink:
 
Oracle,
The fellow in your pic appears to be a person with cerebral palsy.
Not fair game my man.
I don't take the p'iss out of such folk.
And in fact I have found such people often charming and generally sweet natured.

Its cnuts with brains in working order who don't use them that gets my goat.
Which brings me to the f'ucking Crab.

It goes without saying that if an earthquake happens in the crucial position on the line between two plates the power of the quake will determine the severity of the subsequent wave.

Thats why I used the words, 'as such' in the sentence I used.
Its still the EFFECT of the quake at that position that causes the wave and not the quake itself.

Another reason I knew there was nothing to worry about in this case is because the quake happened near the shore in shallower water.
Any force in the water would rapidly spread out widely losing its force as it did so.

What made the one two years ago so bad was it happened in deep current water where the force had no where to go except along the ocean floor building up as it went eventually rising as it neared the coast of first Achi provence then on to Thailand.

I tell you what Crabby, go back to grunting and cnuting its easier for me to for me to feel superior to you rather than having to deal with someone who is pretending they wear clothes for a living.
 

Seedubs

Clanker
SLRboy said:
And it was the rising of the other plate, not so much the earth quake itself
I don't mean to interrupt, but what exactly caused this so called rising of the other plate?? Eh? Oh come on, what a completely stupid statement!!! If you are going to try and sound intelligent at least get it right!!
 
SLRboy said:
Oracle,
The fellow in your pic appears to be a person with cerebral palsy.
Not fair game my man.
I don't take the p'iss out of such folk.
And in fact I have found such people often charming and generally sweet natured.

Its cnuts with brains in working order who don't use them that gets my goat.
Which brings me to the f'ucking Crab.

It goes without saying that if an earthquake happens in the crucial position on the line between two plates the power of the quake will determine the severity of the subsequent wave.

Thats why I used the words, 'as such' in the sentence I used.
Its still the EFFECT of the quake at that position that causes the wave and not the quake itself.

Another reason I knew there was nothing to worry about in this case is because the quake happened near the shore in shallower water.
Any force in the water would rapidly spread out widely losing its force as it did so.

What made the one two years ago so bad was it happened in deep current water where the force had no where to go except along the ocean floor building up as it went eventually rising as it neared the coast of first Achi provence then on to Thailand.

I tell you what Crabby, go back to grunting and cnuting its easier for me to for me to feel superior to you rather than having to deal with someone who is pretending they wear clothes for a living.
[align=center]
[/align]
 
Awol said:
The media really are heartless tw@ts.

There are up to a dozen sizable (strength 4 and above) earthquakes every single day of the year, but are they newsworthy? Are they bollox. Get to Boxing day though and it's suddenly scare-mongering overdrive time, especially as it's famously a no-news day.

http://www.iris.edu/seismon/last30.html
:
I remember When we had the Boxing Day one, one BBC journo asked an expert if this and the Baum (SP? one in Iran, on Boxing Day the year before) where linked? And was there something about Boxing Day that caused Earthquakes.

There you Are SLRnutter, a new Conspiracy theory for you. Makes about as much sense as the rest of your Wibble head Ideas
 
Awol,
I don't know why you are slagging me off.
You have just said what I might have done.

Sky news, Boxing Day, tsunami,
the clues were all there I agree with you.
 

Awol

LE
SLRboy said:
Awol,
I don't know why you are slagging me off.
You have just said what I might have done.

Sky news, Boxing Day, tsunami,
the clues were all there I agree with you.
In just three posts you change the subject of the thread to a government conspiracy that is exaggerating the terrorist theat, you make a sappy 'joke' about going to Heathrow to enjoy the next tsunami and then you admit to being a troll. Between which you say 'cnut' about twenty times.

I've no idea why I'm slagging you off either.
 
Seedubs,
I feel i'm going to seem really stupid having to answer this one for you.
But as its Xmas I will do so.

"The one plate lifted up because the other one was forced underneath it by the earth quake."

Now I have answered the dumb fool question, can I go now Miss?
 
SLRboy said:
Oracle,
The fellow in your pic appears to be a person with cerebral palsy.
Not fair game my man.
I don't take the p'iss out of such folk.
And in fact I have found such people often charming and generally sweet natured.

Its cnuts with brains in working order who don't use them that gets my goat.
Which brings me to the f'ucking Crab.

It goes without saying that if an earthquake happens in the crucial position on the line between two plates the power of the quake will determine the severity of the subsequent wave.

Thats why I used the words, 'as such' in the sentence I used.
Its still the EFFECT of the quake at that position that causes the wave and not the quake itself.

Another reason I knew there was nothing to worry about in this case is because the quake happened near the shore in shallower water.
Any force in the water would rapidly spread out widely losing its force as it did so.

What made the one two years ago so bad was it happened in deep current water where the force had no where to go except along the ocean floor building up as it went eventually rising as it neared the coast of first Achi provence then on to Thailand.

I tell you what Crabby, go back to grunting and cnuting its easier for me to for me to feel superior to you rather than having to deal with someone who is pretending they wear clothes for a living.
Academic willy waving; I bet I've got my letters after my name than you :D
Cnut
Can you actually explain it makes a difference what depth of water it occurs in?
Awol; there are ~1500 earthquakes each day. However, earthquakes of a strength that can cause damage are more rare. This earthquake was serious enough to cause an alert about the possibilty of a tsunami; that doesn't happen everyday. Some journalist saw the irony of it happening on boxing day.

SLR, you've still not explained why you spent your first few posts talking about alert states, al queda, blair and bush - other than saying it was for your own pleasure. Surely that makes me a better person than you? I'm not here to wind people up, you get pleasure from it.

So, my parting comment before I am unavailable for the rest of boxing day (friends and family to talk to rather than spending my entire day on arrse) is merely this; consider your posts, consider the audience of arrse, and finally consider that the only person to entertain any of your consipiracy cr*p is frenchcnut - not a good role model. So please just fcuk off.
 

Dread

LE
Of course you can now leave SLRboy, provided the reason is to throw yourself infront of a HGV moving at speed.

Cnut.

You did a spot of trolling (as usual) and are now trying to pretend that you were just joking.

You Sir, are a CNUT.
 
My dear Crabby,
you suddenly seem to be taking things all too seriously.
Why did I introduce a wind up?

Simple, because I knew the story to be bollards.
Secondly if you are going to kick off calling me a cnut which I don't mind at all as we don't of course actually even know who the other is,
you must expect a little lively incoming by return of post I would have thought.

With regards your question on deep water.
A quake happening in deep water has the force from it confined by the pressure from above there by increasing its potency.
But you worked that out yourself didn't you?

As for the tiresome business of once again being accused of being a conspiracy nut, sometime before Xmas in a televised statement warning of a Xmas Al Quida attack John Reid said and I quote:
"there's a lot of conspiracies about."

Honestly, It took a week to dry out the arm chair I laughed so hard.
Happy Xmas, nice to spar with you.
 
SLRboy said:
My dear Crabby,
you suddenly seem to be taking things all too seriously.
Why did I introduce a wind up?

Simple, because I knew the story to be bollards.
Secondly if you are going to kick off calling me a cnut which I don't mind at all as we don't of course actually even know who the other is,
you must expect a little lively incoming by return of post I would have thought.

With regards your question on deep water.
A quake happening in deep water has the force from it confined by the presure from above there by increasing its potency.

But you worked that out yourself didn't you?

As for the tiresome business of once again being accused of being a conspiracy nut, sometime before Xmas in a televised statement warning of a Xmas Al Quida attack on John Reid said and I quote:
"there's a lot of consiracies about."

Honestly, It took a week to dry out the arm chair I laughed so hard.
Happy Xmas, nice to spar with you.
Wrong

3/10, must try harder
 
If I'm wrong please do explain
 

expat_71

War Hero
Back on thread I spent two fcuking hours on a small mountain last night, after getting half a dozen calls saying that a tidal wave was heading towards Vung Tau.
The problem was 3 weeks ago a typhoon came through here and flattened the place ,21,000 homes destroyed and 300,000 homeless.(Glitters prison got fcuked btw)
To cut a long story short nobody had any TV aerials as their roof had gone south.
So no local warnings.
We had the traditional Vietnamese warning of riding your/their motobikes around beeping the horn ,which is not very specific or that helpful.
And the bar/pool hall next door said they don't care as man utd were playing!

Edited for mong spelling.
 

Latest Threads

Top