new TRF's look like old ones.

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by batfink, Jun 28, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. having recently watched the excellent BBC docudrama on the evacuation of Dunkirk I couldn't help noticing that members of the Royal Corps of Signals were wearing TRF's not dissimilar to the ones that have recently been issued out to current corps members. (blue and white rectangle)
    why were the flashes discontinued and when? Any ideas
  2. (shouldn't this be on the corps site???)

Not sure when it happened but the markings seem to have moved onto the trucks in the 40's.

The markings were a sqaure painted white above blue, orginally with number 52 inf div sigs (40-42) or 61 arm div sigs (42) ...... .ending up with a number 40 for both (44-45)......
  3. cheers polar,
    would have stuck it on the corps site but seemed to fit more into the military history side of life
  4. The corps has a history ????
  5. Yes , you were invented by the engineers :)
  6. and then what .... except for laying some line accross pegasus bridge?
  7. errrr...................................................................... (shrug)
  8. General Melchett

General Melchett LE Moderator

The coloured strips of cloth were called Arm of Service (AOS) stripes and were introduced in Sept 1940. I am not sure when they were phased out although I beleive it was prior to 1950. Some of the modern TRFs are based on the AOS colours, indeed the Royal Signals TRF is the same.

Officers rank pips were also backed with a colour depending on Arm of Service, although it did not always match the AOS stripe.

The date of introduction would warrant the question about Dunkirk docudrama. Dunkirk May-June 1940, AOS intro Sep 1940.........Hmmmmmm?????
  9. The Tactical Recognition Flash - which has absolutely no tactical use...
  10. Except for a damn good aiming mark
  11. and patterned after the Canadian Signalling Corps (formed, 1903)