• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

New to the forum !!

Hi everyone my name is Arran I am 19 and I have just joined this forum.

I have applied with the Reg British Army for the post of Combat Medical Technician.

I am really looking forward to a career with the amry, as I say I have just applied and still waiting to hear back from them.

Any advice for me?

Cheers,

Hi everyone my name is Arran I am 19 and I have just joined this forum.

I have applied with the Reg Army for the post of Combat Medical Technician.

I am really looking forward to a career with the amry, as I say I have just applied and still waiting to hear back from the

AMRY?

IF your at application stage then its case of getting yourself into shape even if your set on medic need to look at 2 alternatives just in case.as long as nothing comes up through doct/drugs/offences then should be fine check out the mod site for job info for your 3 choices start getting to know all the basics
http://www.armyjobs.mod.uk/
any other info fitness or training check the threads that are about good luck

MedicUK said:
I have applied with the Reg British Army for the post of Combat Medical Technician. Any advice for me?
Get some boxes and start painting them, itll give you a head start to have some experience in the trades main activity.

Also, if you have a tent, repeatedly put it up and take it down, this will give you the edge on your fellow trainee CMTs.

Start telling your civvie mates that the CMT is the equivilant of a civvie Para medic and that youre going to get a job 'on the rigs' when you leave. If you start now then your story may sound convincing by the time you actually join.

Change trades the moment you get the chance.

Other than that welcome to the site and enjoy the banter both on here and once you join.

Filbert Fox said:
MedicUK said:
I have applied with the Reg British Army for the post of Combat Medical Technician. Any advice for me?
Get some boxes and start painting them, itll give you a head start to have some experience in the trades main activity.

Also, if you have a tent, repeatedly put it up and take it down, this will give you the edge on your fellow trainee CMTs.quote]

Also ask your dad to come and check its all present and correct then get him to repeat this throughtout the day for the next 3 years :wink:

Filbert Fox said:
MedicUK said:

Also, if you have a tent, repeatedly put it up and take it down, this will give you the edge on your fellow trainee CMTs.

Start telling your civvie mates that the CMT is the equivilant of a civvie Para medic and that youre going to get a job 'on the rigs' when you leave. If you start now then your story may sound convincing by the time you actually join.

Other than that welcome to the site and enjoy the banter both on here and once you join.
Pen15, is there any need for that! Im sure the guy can look and see plenty of derogitory comments about the cadre without your input. How about something constructive.

Filbert Fox said:
MedicUK said:

Mate don't listen to old Filbert here he is just bitter that the CMT's generally drink, fight and shag at a higher level than the girlie techs!! :p

No seriously Filbert is right on the old box painting and tent erecting, you will do sh*tloads of that when not on tour, but it is not all mundane, I believe they have a lot more med training programmes that when I was in, so show willing and get yourself on these. And when you have had enough you will be ready to go on the rigs!!

Filbert not all ex-CMT's end up offshore but as the brass is not bad you can't blame the boys who do, better working there than in the NHS with a bunch of clowns I am sure you will agree!!...... pulled the pin and awaiting shrapnel from all the split arrses, button pushers, and test tube sniffers!!

Oh and welcome to the board and be prepared for the banter, and laugh at those who can't take it!!

tony_quet said:
Filbert Fox said:
Pen15, is there any need for that! Im sure the guy can look and see plenty of derogitory comments about the cadre without your input. How about something constructive.
mmmm Im sure you must have missed this bit:

Other than that welcome to the site and enjoy the banter both on here and once you join

and you can write penis on here or couldnt you spell it?

stan2484 said:
better working there than in the NHS with a bunch of clowns I am sure you will agree!!
got to agree with you there Stan, Im out as well now, only by a couple of months but Ive put the ODP malarky on hold for a few years and got a normal job, the way the NHS treat their staff is a joke.

Oh and welcome to the board and be prepared for the banter, and laugh at those who can't take it!!
like Tony_quet for instance!

tony_quet said:
How about something constructive.
OK, once again may I refer you to my post above:

I earlier said:
please post again Tony, you are a goldmine of a walkover!

OK filbrt, your a penis.

Happy?

Change trades the moment you get a chance is a biased opinion and not necessarily reflecting a "top tip" for a potential cmt.

I met a guy recently who has transfered to the Grey Mafia and is regretting the decission. There have been many changes for the cmt cadre of late and as a group we are suffering from negative opinions from Dinosaurs like your good self.

Bait me all you like but please dont mislead someone who is about to embark on his chosen career and call it banter.

My bold in reply:
tony_quet said:
OK filbrt, your a penis (too late Tony, I spelt it for you, the moment was lost!)

Happy? (always, you bite like a teething puppy)

Change trades the moment you get a chance is a biased opinion and not necessarily reflecting a "top tip" for a potential cmt. (of course its a biased opinion but it is a top tip none the less)

I met a guy recently who has transfered to the Grey Mafia and is regretting the decission. (who wouldnt? nurse or HCA?)
There have been many changes for the cmt cadre of late and as a group we are suffering from negative opinions from Dinosaurs like your good self. (may be a dinosaur but Im a dinosaur with a trade I can use outside, just like ALL ODPs have, what percentage of CMTs hold the qual, are registered and are clinically current Para medics?)

Bait me all you like but please dont mislead someone who is about to embark on his chosen career and call it banter. (thank you, I will, and Im not actually misleading anyone)
Is this the Army Medic Forum or the ARmy Rumour ServicE?

No wonder Keogh is such a mess and the troops come out of it totally clueless about whats really out here if people like you wrap them up in cotton wool and bubble wrap and give them ear muffs to protect their delicate little ears from hearing what people really have to say about the CMT trade whether in banter or as a fact.
I used to go to Keogh to do presentations but was then banned from doing so as the Ivory Tower Dwellers had a sad on at the numbers of CMTs who wanted to jump ship after my talk. This has since been rescinded after higher lever intervention as the soldiers should have a choice.

Get out of cover mummys brave little soldiers ears mode and have a read through this site, CMTs rag ODPs, Nurses, lab techs and x-ray techs and we all rag each other, get a grip. I bet youre a bundle of laughs!

Christ with no paint and a lack of Exercises to build and enhance his "core skils" :( :wink: all due to Operational commitments our young wannabe CMT had better switch trades

banter is banter, at the end of the day weve all got a job to do and we all (except Phys Med Techs and Keogh based instructors) get ragged with deployments.
Although the main difference is that the other AMS trades actually do their clinical roles day in day out regardless of being on tour or in barracks.

Filbert Fox said:
banter is banter, at the end of the day weve all got a job to do and we all (except Phys Med Techs and Keogh based instructors) get ragged with deployments.
Although the main difference is that the other AMS trades actually do their clinical roles day in day out regardless of being on tour or in barracks.
Aye I am an ex-CMT of 13 years and that is one of the main reasons I got out, no quals after 22 years means pushing trolleys around at your local Morrisons (could be any supermarket but being a Yorkshire man had to choose either Morrisons or ASDA!! :p) Or some other pish job to top up the old pension, so I would advise the lad to look at the other trades that do have a meaningful qual and see if thats for him, I enjoyed my time as a CMT but like many was bullsh*tted constantly about Quals for my whole time, yes I know this has changed slightly but not far enough in my opinion.

Its all down to what he wants from his career and whether he can be arrsed to think in the longer term and what he will be doing once out of the Green Machine.

But please stop the Party Line bullsh*t about how the opportunity is there for this and that, it may be if you love to kiss arrse and bend over tables but if you don't you get fu*k all, that is something that will never change.