New to me air rifle

Stibbon

Old-Salt
Golf ball size. It's not difficult. Light pellets with poor aerodynamics are not going to perform well at a distance. Not great with little power behind them, arguably worse with a huge hoof up the arse.

Scopes are not necessary for ranges where pellets are effective. If it gives you a warm feeling in the mudbox, fill your boots. It's not something I'd bother with in the bush and of little use to me on a range. If you can't see your target properly with the naked eye, there's little chance of hitting it with low powered light projectiles.

More than one contradiction in there mate but to be honest, you clearly have the blinkers on so I shan't bother.

My advice to you would be to learn more about air rifles and the nature of pellet trajectory etc.

Stibbon

Old-Salt
Without wishing to jump into this scope vs no scope dick swing, a lot of air rifles don’t actually come with any form of open sights. Apart from the very cheapest stuff, most air rifles are designed to be fitted with scopes.

Fitting proper open sights to my Tomahawk would involve a fair bit of butchery as there is nowhere on the barrel to mount a foresight. It’s just easier all round to fit a scope. As a 13 or 14 year old kid, I wanted a scope because it looked cool and I could pretend I was a sniper. For a lot of people in the uk, that’s probably still a requirement when buying an air rifle, especially if they don’t have the privilege of being able to shoot bigger stuff where a scope is a necessity.

Nowadays I’ll take a scope over open sights any day of the week when I’m shooting vermin. It’s a tool for a specific job and I want to get that job done as quickly, humanely and easily as possible.

Different kettle of fish if I’m plinking at old beer cans for leisure, although I can’t say I’ve done that since I was a teenager.

No "dick swinging" involved here old boy.

Just one bloke talking sense and the other not. ;)

neil82

Old-Salt
Small, light, unaerodynamic missile from a low powered rifle.

Riiiight...

You need to expand your horizons.
Air Arms S200, .22, 10.5 ft/lb, range to target 100`, air arms own brand pellets, 10 shots made one solid lump of lead in the wood backstop, you might want to invest in a modern PCP air rifle as the higher power guns can give a .22 rimfire competition for range and accuracy

I'm sure they do. However, if I wish to spend an afternoon on the range shooting at targets I'll use my target rifle. Also not really a long distance competitor but good fun for a day out.

No scope on that one either.

Here are mine.
And I can shoot perfectly well with iron sights, thanks.

IMG_3002.jpg

Edit:

Top: Webley VMX Cub with BSA EMD 3-9x40

Middle: Air Arms TX200 with AGS Cobalt Rifle Scope illuminated Half Mil Dot Reticle - 4-16 x 50

Bottom: BSA R10 TH with AGS Cobalt Rifle Scope illuminated Half Mil Dot Reticle - 4-16 x 50

Last edited:

Ritch

LE
As mentioned before, this is mine.

A Hammerli 850 Air Magnum with a Mountmaster scope.

20210506_221259.jpg

cymraeg

War Hero
Pump turned up today (will keep me fit) just waiting on swivels and bipod now. Have started zeroing the scope (initially miles off ) but now she is on target just need to dial her in.

Massive grins all round in all honesty chuffed as ******* bananas and wish I had picked one up ages ago

Stibbon

Old-Salt
Here are mine.

Edit:

Top: Webley VMX Cub with BSA EMD 3-9x40

How do you get on with the VMX?

I only ask because I was considering buying one a little while back They're quite cheap but aesthetically nice on the eye.

That moderator on the end probably isn't that effective so does it screw off and/or is the barrel screw-cut to take anything else?

Grateful for any feedback. :)

How do you get on with the VMX?

I only ask because I was considering buying one a little while back They're quite cheap but aesthetically nice on the eye.

That moderator on the end probably isn't that effective so does it screw off and/or is the barrel screw-cut to take anything else?

Grateful for any feedback. :)

It is a pretty good bit of kit for the money. groupings are ok. I bought it to teach my daughter to shoot with as the TX200 is far to heavy for kids. And the R10 is just a laser (far to easy to shoot accuratley unless you are shooting out to further ranges). The iron sights that come with it are pretty lousy to be honest. The foresight is too wide and chunky and the rear sight that was on it could be moved easily from side to side even though it was screwed on tight.
If I was to stick with iron sights they would have been replaced with a thinner front sight blade and a far better rear sight. I have not tried to get the moderator off yet.

As a junior's rifle or a garden plinker it is great. But for someone who knows how to shoot, I'd recomend something else, maybe second hand for the same money.

Just watched a YouTube vid about them and now I want one.

Looks like fun.

Pffft...........I have drooled over one of these a few times in the local Cabelas. Still trying to come up with an excuse to give the Mrs as to why it is essential.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Pffft...........I have drooled over one of these a few times in the local Cabelas. Still trying to come up with an excuse to give the Mrs as to why it is essential.

I have an HK416 in .22 rimfire.

It’s a ton of fun but costs me about a tenner in ammo everytime I get it out because you just have to blat.

Something like that would be a good compromise.

Verwaltung

Clanker
I do know where @Lardbeast is coming from regarding open sights - I had the opportunity to shoot with some Finnish reservists a few years ago as a guest at a reservist shooting competition with open sights (reserviläisammunta).

I won't say just how badly I came last, but let's just say that I had my expectations recalibrated, and now realise that my aiming point is the equivalent of a microscopic grain of dust on the foresight.

Since then I've done a lot better, just from knowing what is achievable. Of course those guys were mostly using Sako 92's, and my own AK is a Saiga M3, but still...

I have an HK416 in .22 rimfire.

It’s a ton of fun but costs me about a tenner in ammo everytime I get it out because you just have to blat.

Something like that would be a good compromise.

I have one too. $10 for a hundred rds in normal times, at the moment with the covid kerfuffle, and Bidens rise to power it is nearer $25 a hundred...............if you can find it.

I own a real MPX and can tell you that the air rifle version, apart from the funny stock due to the cartridge in there, is pretty much spot on with fit, feel and heft.

I do know where @Lardbeast is coming from regarding open sights - I had the opportunity to shoot with some Finnish reservists a few years ago as a guest at a reservist shooting competition with open sights (reserviläisammunta).

I won't say just how badly I came last, but let's just say that I had my expectations recalibrated, and now realise that my aiming point is the equivalent of a microscopic grain of dust on the foresight.

Since then I've done a lot better, just from knowing what is achievable. Of course those guys were mostly using Sako 92's, and my own AK is a Saiga M3, but still...

Once anyone learns that hard lesson their shooting becomes more accurate (mine certainly did). I read the works of Ed McGivern who was a famous exhibition shooter here in the US. Even as an older chap he used to be able to shoot and hit coins and marbles tossed up in the air. He said that you need to aim small to hit big. In other words if you are trying to hit a target you should not aim at the target, but rather locate and aim at a tiny spot on the target. Likewise when using iron sights; make sure front and rear are nicely centred, but then pick out a tiny location at the top of the foresight as your aiming mark rather than using the whole of the foresight. Using a very sharp pencil to make a small mark on the top rear edge of the foresightworks, I knew someone who actually used a pin to make a small scratch on his various foresights.

Can't say it appeals at all, I looked over it and the quality and construction is inferior to many airsofts, peering inside the mag well revealed pot metal innards obviously made of two halves and that belt fed magazine thing looks just yuk tbh.
I like the concept but as it is it's neither fish nor fowl, for a back garden plinker good Gas Blow Back airsofts offer a lot more realism and satisfaction or just save up for a nice repeating air rifle.

Stibbon

Old-Salt
It is a pretty good bit of kit for the money. groupings are ok. I bought it to teach my daughter to shoot with as the TX200 is far to heavy for kids. And the R10 is just a laser (far to easy to shoot accuratley unless you are shooting out to further ranges). The iron sights that come with it are pretty lousy to be honest. The foresight is too wide and chunky and the rear sight that was on it could be moved easily from side to side even though it was screwed on tight.
If I was to stick with iron sights they would have been replaced with a thinner front sight blade and a far better rear sight. I have not tried to get the moderator off yet.

As a junior's rifle or a garden plinker it is great. But for someone who knows how to shoot, I'd recomend something else, maybe second hand for the same money.
Yeah PCPs are cheating really. I've owned more than enough of them to know. :D

Looks like I'll resist the urge to get a VMX then. I've owned around 6 different springers (including gas ram) over the years and I'm a real sucker for a nice one. I'll just keep my eyes open for a decent HW95K in .177 but don't want to fork out full whack for it.

Thanks for the response and the info. :)

I'd like one of these...
I have one. Once you learn the hack for the mag. Your good to go

Latest Threads