New Title - Warrant Officer to the Royal Navy

Must admit, when promoted to WO1 from CPO in a branch that doesn't piss about with the WO2 nonsense, I thought: "That's, that."

Little did I realise there was an ongoing pissing contest at WO1 to be an EWO, BWO, CWO and now this, with the final option to be demoted to Commissioned Officer.

I thought some of the Army messes were bad, having a variety of RSMs with some fcuker claiming to be 'the' RSM by dint of the regiment or corps seniority. The Navy seems to have taken the biscuit.

It seems bizarre that we live in a world where people assume that the higher the rank, the more capacious the intelligence of the little man in a big hat.

Buddy!

War Hero
It seems bizarre that we live in a world where people assumes that the higher the rank, the more capacious the intelligence of the little man in a big hat.
Very accurate statement. Yes, even now in 2020 this is a great stumbling block for the Army, outside of the Int Corps.

Rab_C

War Hero
Must admit, when promoted to WO1 from CPO in a branch that doesn't piss about with the WO2 nonsense, I thought: "That's, that."

Little did I realise there was an ongoing pissing contest at WO1 to be an EWO, BWO, CWO and now this, with the final option to be demoted to Commissioned Officer.

I thought some of the Army messes were bad, having a variety of RSMs with some fcuker claiming to be 'the' RSM by dint of the regiment or corps seniority. The Navy seems to have taken the biscuit.

It seems bizarre that we live in a world where people assume that the higher the rank, the more capacious the intelligence of the little man in a big hat.
Very well put. Also it seems the men in really big hats like to surround themselves with men with slightly smaller big hats.

Very well put. Also it seems the men in really big hats like to surround themselves with men with slightly smaller big hats.
As I understand it, there's been a bit of hacking and slashing at 1* upwards. This surprises me as I've always been of the belief turkeys don't vote for Chrimbo.

Nevertheless, it remains doubtful those instigating the changes will start sawing off the lofty branch upon which they perch.

What is different, clearly, is the post discharge afterlife. A future of pushing trolleys around Tescos car park or B&Q, (remembering to punch anyone who states they want decking), beckons for many.

There's little doubt the Covid thingy offers a bright new future for those who wish to invent a rank structure, uniforms, medals and a variety of ascending cap diameters for the Queue Marshall Gestapo.

A2_Matelot

LE
Book Reviewer
As I understand it, there's been a bit of hacking and slashing at 1* upwards. This surprises me as I've always been of the belief turkeys don't vote for Chrimbo.
Not really as much as was initially advertised. But the HQ will be around 40% smaller, personally I think initially it will be incredibly painful and it hangs upon successful recruitment of a lot more CS to fill posts we had SQEP military people in. You can grow some of that SQEP but it won't be overnight.

Nevertheless, it remains doubtful those instigating the changes will start sawing off the lofty branch upon which they perch.
I think the Flag plot will be smaller and there are interesting thoughts being considered, OF5 (Captain for you Rab) OF7 (RAdm) being a possible step.

The concept of a second stage career (i.e. beyond CPO, or Cdr) will be interesting in the future.

A2_Matelot

LE
Book Reviewer
I think quite a few will decline the kind offer of Commission's, some will welcome it. I do worry that it's just a quick short term palliative to creating instant SO3 (Lt's for you Rab), to fill gaps at sea and elsewhere. Time will tell.

I think quite a few will decline the kind offer of Commission's, some will welcome it. I do worry that it's just a quick short term palliative to creating instant SO3 (Lt's for you Rab), to fill gaps at sea and elsewhere. Time will tell.
Decline it? Be a WO1 in a made-up admin front-man job for another ten+ years, leave with a Major's pension, who would turn that down?

Latest Threads