New Title - Warrant Officer to the Royal Navy

The Jimmy is the nickname given to the Executive Officer (XO) AKA 1st Lieutenant and is the ship's 2IC. S/he is responsible for whole ship coordination and discipline.

I have recently finished re-reading a history of the Civil Wars in Britain and Ireland. The navy played a significant part, which I had forgotten.
The navy then had Warrant Officers. Captains etc were largely like the army, ie gentlemen who “fancied a go” rather than salty sea dogs. Don’t know whether they had one for the whole fleet.
So, a new innovation is nowt more than a return to the old days.
Weevils in biscuits next. No rum, though!

I once knew a Commander of Underwater Naval Training. At least that was the designation I gave him. Now in Civvy st. We have Computer User, Non Technical. most of the people I name in that category agree with it. Such is their level of wit...

Seadog

ADC
The Jimmy is the nickname given to the Executive Officer (XO) AKA 1st Lieutenant and is the ship's 2IC. S/he is responsible for whole ship coordination and discipline.
As alluded to by RAB C, the XO is
3 IC if there is a Commander as 2IC,
Aircraft Carriers for example.

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
My Div SNCO st BRNC in 1987 was a MAA H'gston former Fleet Chief Petty Officer. Not sure why the Andrew needs to adopt Army ranks, unless the 1st Sea lord has aspirations to be CDS?

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
Jimmy - James the First - 1st Lieutenant ie Executive Officer, or in Army speak, Unit 2IC and COS rolled into one.

My Div SNCO st BRNC in 1987 was a MAA H'gston former Fleet Chief Petty Officer. Not sure why the Andrew needs to adopt Army ranks, unless the 1st Sea lord has aspirations to be CDS?
Ahoy there Daxx. Please see my post above. I think Warrant Officer was a naval term way before the army even had thought of it.

As alluded to by RAB C, the XO is
3 IC if there is a Commander as 2IC,
Aircraft Carriers for example.
As a killick on Gleaner I was the WEO. My opposite number, an LMEM was the MEO. Mind you, to us on Gleaner even P2000s were big ship tossers.

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
FCPO is way cooler than WO. And if a MAA, way scarier :)

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
As a killick on Gleaner I was the WEO. My opposite number, an LMEM was the MEO. Mind you, to us on Gleaner even P2000s were big ship tossers.
Gleaner was a great ship :)

Rab_C

War Hero
From the National Archives referring to Naval Warrant Officers of old:

A warrant officer was a sailor who became an officer by being awarded a warrant. Warrant officers are junior to commissioned officers and senior to ratings.

Warrant officers include: master, purser, boatswain, gunner, carpenter, surgeon, armourer, chaplain, cook, master at arms, sailmaker and schoolmaster. Bear in mind that before becoming a warrant officer they will have served as a rating.

They had their own mess “Gun Room” so neither ratings or officers.

From the National Archives referring to Naval Warrant Officers of old:

A warrant officer was a sailor who became an officer by being awarded a warrant. Warrant officers are junior to commissioned officers and senior to ratings.

Warrant officers include: master, purser, boatswain, gunner, carpenter, surgeon, armourer, chaplain, cook, master at arms, sailmaker and schoolmaster. Bear in mind that before becoming a warrant officer they will have served as a rating.

They had their own mess “Gun Room” so neither ratings or officers.
Thing was they were not Royal Warrants, they were Admiralty Warrants.

A Nigerian / Norwegian task force Commodore would be more problematic.
MAPEX concerning naval operations against pirates off the gold coast involving a combined Nigerian/German task force? Oh yes, we nearly had that in an ACSC exercise once (spotted at a very early part of the planning stage for the ex, and the reason that the Germans stayed firmly in harbour).

Latest Threads