New: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by Krek_Brizzle, Jun 30, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Looks good!

2. And just for you Mr.D. the Coen boys have scripted a re-make of 'Gambit' a Michael Cane film of some time back. Colin Firth puts in the principle appearence on that one which is well underway on the filming front. Sorry to digress............................

3. Dunno,as a lover of Le Carre it looks a bit shiny and glossy to me,the book and subsequent TV series captured the seedy side of the Cold War much better,unfortunately that atmosphere can no longer be duplicated in the 21st century,and the Alec Guiness portrayal of George Smiley is unbeatable.I have a feeling it will become another Italian Job 2,,,,,,nice to watch but not a classic.

4. I have mentioned this film in other threads over the last year or so and have mixed feelings about it.

The essence of the BBC production was its utter seediness and sympathetic minimalist approach to Le Carre's original story.

Even the music on the BBC series (what there was of it) fitted like a glove.

Having watched the trailer my impression is of a 'sexed up' version of the story which misses the entire Le Carre 'feel' and I hope that they have not gone overboard.
    Does look like a great cast though, and kudos to the film company for resurrecting one of the fictional classics.

I am a little worried how so much information, including sub plots and twists and turns, will be satisfactorily fitted into a feature length film and I hope they havn't cut the story to shreds.

On the plus side, it is set in the right era and as well as a cracking cast I hope that Oldman might just pull the Smiley part off.

Look forward to seeing it but it will have to be very very good to transcend my much loved BBC original.

I wonder if 'Smiley's People' will follow?

NB : My regret is that the BBC didn't film 'The Honourable Schoolboy' which is sadly neglected as an important part of the 'Karla' trilogy.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Looks effing horrible!

For those that never watched the TV series it will probably be a good watch. For those that did read the book and watch the series I suspect people will be shouting at the screen in frustration as every nuance of the old series is thrown away and a dumbed-down piece of junk is released to keep the septic public (with their attendant 3 second memory span) happy.

Part of the glory of the old series was the attention to detail and the beautiful, timeless script. Having just watched the trailer on the Grauniad website and listened to one of the characters say "we're not so different, you and I" made me want to laugh and puke at the same time: clichéd shit straight out of Austin Powers. Does not bode well.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Not quite quintessentially English then. And possibly an entirely different Circus, to the one in the Class of '74.
    The original and best series had the gravitas of the times and was based on actual players. As someone already said, you can't get that all back. AndGuinness was far too good a character actor to be beaten in this venture .

7. Possibly the biggest stumbling block for those of us who remember the original in my opinion.

We will see but prepare to be disappointed.

NB : I did read that Le Carre (Cornwell) himself has been directly involved with the production and I hope he has insisted on the story's integrity remaining.

8. As a strange aside I used to go out with a girl who's father was quite senior at GCHQ. He ONLY read the Karla series- and once he finished he would go back and start again. I think he also included "The Spy Who Came in From the Cold" which was a dark bitter book if ever there was.

9. Will be interesting to resurrect this thread in a few months and see how the film holds up! I was purely impressed by the cast; I confess I have never read Le Carre, nor seen the original BBC series, and thus have no strong feeling for either. (Sorry, but I'm only just old enough dimly to remember seeing the Wall coming down on Newsround.) I will make a point of at least reading TSSS before September.

10. Please do, it is a masterpiece, I would hope you will not be disappointed and could lead you to Le Carre's other books, most of which are excellent.

Make sure that you have 'The Honourable Schoolboy' and 'Smiley's People' on hand when you finish it as they go segue into the rest of the story which finalises in 'Smiley's People'.

11. But dont forget "Call For the Dead" and a "Murder of Quality" not part of the Karla series but they are part of Smileys story.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Arwotesaid...concur...and a beautiful theme too:

YouTube - ‪Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy Closing titles‬‏

13. I'll be very surprised if they can improve on the original; Alec Guinness was close to perfection in the role of George Smiley, I've seldom seen better casting or a more masterful performance. I'll also be surprised if they can capture the Cold War atmosphere.

14. You are right it'll be total shite. I'll hunt the book out and re-read it.