New Threats, New Weapons

ugly

LE
Helo! Not 'heli'. When did that come into popular use?

The assumption is that a warship or task group will maintain situational awareness of what is going on as well as an intelligence picture. An armed helicopter can be launched at short notice.

I hope that the ship launched version is fitted to as much of the fleet as possible.
When spellcheck decided

ugly

LE
Assumptions don’t always play nicely

Helo! Not 'heli'. When did that come into popular use?
Long before the Americans found another word to corrupt. I suppose you're another one who puts marshmellows in your hot chocolate.

Yokel

LE
Assumptions don’t always play nicely
Of course not. But any naval force or single ship should have an intelligence picture and should maintain constant surveillance of the surrounding area in times of tension or conflict.

Should means will.

Long before the Americans found another word to corrupt. I suppose you're another one who puts marshmellows in your hot chocolate.
How dare you! The only place for Marshmallows is in the bin.

ugly

LE
Ax’s gully if you don’t say all of the grown up word for food blender heli is more apt, after all we had helibedfords not helobedfords

1SL really has done a 180 on FSS since December!

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
1SL really has done a 180 on FSS since December!
No idea why I posted that in here, stuck in in the Commercial Shipbuilding thread originally

No idea why I posted that in here, stuck in in the Commercial Shipbuilding thread originally
Well supporting the future weapons in the field is an important and forgotten part of procurment.

Martlet is on the way!

Thales on track to provide Royal Navy with increased capability | Thales Group

Thales recently conducted firing trials at Royal Artillery Air Defence Range at Manorbier as part of the Integration testing phase of the Future Anti Surface Guided Weapon (Light), (FASGW(L) programme. The FASGW(L) programme includes testing of all parts of the weapon system including the Lightweight Multirole Missile (LMM), the launcher system and all key equipment of the Wildcat helicopter.

The LMM, which the Royal Navy will call Martlet when it enters service in 2020, will provide an enhanced level of protection for both service personnel in the Royal Navy and vital assets at sea, such as the Queen Elizabeth Carrier.

The trials consisted of 6 LMMs being fired from the Thales designed Launcher system at a small boat target at sea at a distance of 4.5kms. All missiles were test rounds with no warhead, but were fitted with telemetry software enabling data to be gathered to analyse the launcher, the guidance system and missile performance.

Will Wildcat be able to carry a mixed weapon load of Martlet, Sea Venom, and Stingray?

The radar and EO systems also contribute significantly to dealing with the small craft threat, as does the 0.5 Cal Heavy Machine. I first saw the HMG (with a belt of ammunition) aboard the flight deck of HMS Glasgow in 2004. I understand that it was hurriedly procured for Operation Telic in 2003, and Merlin HM1s operating from RFA Fort Victoria provided an ISTAR capability.
‘What is the flight time with a Wildcat with a load like this?

I am old enough to to have served with Navy chaps who flew the Wasp. Had a range of 315 Km so only 157.5 to return , well less as bingo time would need to be factored on. Remember one jockey telling me that in the 1970ies with the new on board Gyro compass, weight ? a lot the took off , went left , then right and then needed to land.

Wiki has this for the Lynx.
  • Combat range:540 nmi (620 mi, 1,000 km) with auxiliary fuel
    • ASW 20 nmi (23 mi; 37 km) with dipping sonar + one torpedo and 2 hours on station
    • Point attack: 125 nmi (144 mi; 232 km) with 4x Sea Skua
    • Surveillance: 75 nmi (86 mi; 139 km) - 3 hours 50 minutes on station.
  • Anyone know?

Martlet test fired, and that is one seriously loaded up Wildcat

Woohoo! A laser guided 70mm rocket, years after everyone else got theirs.
Gotta reinvent those wheels!

Meanwhile, no one spent a penny clearing Wildcat for the Hellfires it was designed from the get go to carry leaving it toothless for years bar a door gun.

Last edited:
Woohoo! A laser guided 70mm rocket, years after everyone else got theirs.
Gotta reinvent those wheels!

Meanwhile, no one spent a penny clearing Wildcat for the Hellfires it was designed from the get go to carry leaving it toothless for years bar a door gun.
Well maybe the Army are quite happy with the AH64E,

Well maybe the Army are quite happy with the AH64E,
To be fair hellfire would have been useful in the maritime role as an interim?

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

To be fair hellfire would have been useful in the maritime role as an interim?

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
That’s why the RN have been embarking the WAH64, when needed.

6818436A-58D3-4F7D-88F9-045FC3F42A5B.jpeg
BDB4A9BD-4069-4124-8D3D-2F46744BF368.jpeg
6818436A-58D3-4F7D-88F9-045FC3F42A5B.jpeg
FDE3A844-0FB5-409F-BB28-FEA74B166C62.jpeg
2A71DFA8-57D1-452C-84A8-89451809B4B4.jpeg

Last edited:

MoleBath

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Embarking a non maritime helicopter is OK if you are sheeting down etc until it leaves. Different to have a helicopter capable of operating consistently in maritime (salty) environment

bob231

War Hero
Also, AH64 undercarriage and flight decks do not mix particularly well, particularly in anything smaller than QEC.

Latest Threads