New theme - done

Discussion in 'ARRSE: Site Issues' started by Good CO, Jun 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

At some point in the next 48 hours ARRSE will change to a new look with some significant differences. This brings us up to date with newer web layout technologies , will make the forums in particular more natural and easier to use, and will make the front page more welcoming to newcomers. This has been in development for months now, and trialled by a test team in the past weeks.

Some of the changes are, in no particular order:

The site front page will change to a much better laid out, more varied and more informative design, showing Blog and ARRSEPedia extracts as well as photos taken from the gallery and various other changes. Who's online moves to a dedicated page, and recent posts will be supplemented by a new 'last 100' page.

Newly uploaded images will appear as thumbnails in forum threads. Older images will appear as now but with scrollbars. They will no longer distort the page.

The site pages will be a fixed narrower width. This makes the text more natural to read on larger resolution monitors, and allows a more reliable layout without wierd behavious from the page headers.

"Social bookmarking" tags are included for users of Stumbleupon, Digg etc. Please promote us.

Advert layout problems are cured, or at least reduced, and Google links are not included in the forum headers allowing more useful links such as "unanswered posts". We do of course need advertising income but I have aimed to make it less invasive. Instead there will be a small 'donate' link on the bottom right of each thread - please feel free to use this!

A more easily read, less 'blocky' font is used throughout.

Additional links are included in the footer including login / logout.

Forums are less cluttered and text links are used where possible to save vertical space, but offer more functionality without going off to search for it.

Features requested after the last change are retained - go to top, go to page X.

The most obvious one - avatars will move to the right of posts. This is because that the way the base code for the new look comes, you quickly get used to it, so there seems no need to change it.

Site header menu stays the same.

All functionality except the additional pages mentioned above stays the same.

Blocks of links that previously appeared somewhat randomly on the left of some site modules are now all shown on the right.

Now the big one - until any teething problems with the new theme are ironed out we will only run from the single default new theme as the new front page will not work in the existing themes.

Within two weeks, once changes have been made, bugs fixed, and complaints and requests answered, I will add a Worksafe / Light theme, and possibly an "Old ARRSE" theme. The latter is a "possible" because it is used by only a tiny percentage of users, but I like it for nostalgic reasons.

So.... wait out.
  2. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Ta muchly boss - looking forward to seeing it!
  3. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

Change will happen at 0600. Bloody hell its early.
  4. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

A known issue is this in the gallery when viewing wide images:
  5. I get a message saying I should be at or something! Isn't that sexualist or something?
  6. I feel weird.
  7. So do I.....

I do spend a lot of time on there though..........
  8. I am very afraid of change*.

*I won't be voting for Obama.
  9. Ohh.... this is a little strange.
  10. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

Am I still on a vodka trip from last night. Make it go away.
  11. I think it look great! good drills there all concerned :D
  12. On the new home page I have had a couple of messages under the photo at the top. Where do these come from?
  13. Aaaaaaargh I hate it.
  14. I thought I was seeing things, oh well, better get used to it.
  15. It's all strange!!!!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.