New Taliban Chief Entering Limelight

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Skynet, Jan 27, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://www.foxnews.com/wires/2008Jan26/0,4670,PakistanTalibanleader,00.html

FOXNEWS.COM HOME > WORLD

New Taliban Chief Entering Limelight
    Saturday, January 26, 2008

By KATHY GANNON

PESHAWAR, Pakistan — Sometime in mid-December, as the winter winds howled across the snow-dusted hills of Pakistan's inhospitable border regions, 40 men representing Taliban groups all across Pakistan's northwest frontier came together to unify under a single banner and to choose a leader.

The banner was Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan, or the Taliban Movement of Pakistan, with a fighting force estimated at up to 40,000. And the leader was Baitullah Mehsud, the man Pakistan accuses of murdering former prime minister Benazir Bhutto.

The move is an attempt to present a united front against the Pakistani army, which has been fighting insurgents along the border with Afghanistan. It is also the latest sign of the rise of Mehsud, considered the deadliest of the Taliban mullahs or clerics in northwest Pakistan.

Mehsud is based in the rugged, heavily treed mountains of South Waziristan, one of Pakistan's so-called tribal areas on the border with Afghanistan, where Western intelligence says al-Qaida is regrouping. His organization has claimed responsibility, often backed up by videos, for killing and kidnapping hundreds of soldiers, beheading women and burning schools that teach girls anything other than religion. He also claims he has a steady supply of suicide bombers and strong ties to al-Qaida.
    A good read more on the link

2. Oooh, that's a target missed. 40 leaders in one place.

3. Is there a non-Fox News link, at all?

4. Related:

http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2008/01/terrorist_attacks_in_europe_th.html

The group intended to carry out three attacks in Spain and one each in Portugal, France and Germany.

The attacks would be claimed in the name of al-Qaeda by Islamist warlord Baitullah Mehsud from Pakistan's tribal region of South Waziristan.

Wheter he's in or out the club, he and all his should be slotted.

5. So has terrorist activity diminished in spain since they were forced to pull out of Iraq?

6. A very well researched piece. I hope you don't mind I have put the link on the Afghan thread. This piece matches the many news reports which have been coming out of Pakistan and are on the Afghan thread. I just wonder whether the Afghan president sees a future with the Taliban and not the west hence his recent remarks?

8. Can we all just make a pledge never to post a Fox news link again please?

9. No, they arrested some Al Q people who were in the country and planning to do naughty things a couple of years later. I believe just after Germany arrested their first lot.

10. You're very welcome dear chap. Satp.org has a wealth of summary info and cold hard facts worth eyeballing from time to time.

I would also suggest that el presidente of stan is currently bricking it in more than one way, which is why he's recently been leaning more towards spin doctoring for his immediate neighbour to the west, quickly countering direct accusations of proof on munitions supply as 'falsified'.