New Tab opening as New Window

Discussion in 'ARRSE: Site Issues' started by mush_dad, Jul 25, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Not sure if it's limited to Arrse, but not currently happening on other web sites;

When I 'Right Click' on a link, and select 'Open in a new tab' from the context menu. Mostly it does so, but occasionally, it opens a new window instead.

I also get an 'Unable to restore webpage' error in a new tab on the orginal window.

I'm using IE 10, on Windows 7, with 10.0.7 as the lastest browser update. I use Chrome occasionally when not on the work laptop and the issue doesn't appear there.

It's not a serious issue, more of an annoyance.

It seems to happen most often when I've started a browsing session, far less so an hour later. It's not tied to any particular link either.

I played about with disabling add-ins and accelerators and such like, but it doesn't seem to make any difference. Nothing show up in the event log.

Informal discussions with work colleagues have suggested it's a site scripting issue rather than a browser issue but that IE10 is susceptible to it.

Any thoughts, or anyone else having the same symptoms?
  2. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

Edit (ignore my last)

Can you tell me the scripting issue that your colleagues think may be the problem and I will look into it.

That does though sound unlikely to me. If you're right clicking on a standard link and choosing the context menu "open in..." then it would seem that our javascript would play no part whatsoever.
  3. Didn't see you last so can't ignore anyway.

It wasn't a specific scripting issue, just a watercooler conversation where somebody offered the view that for IE10 to open a new window rather than a tab, it would be a scripting issue (not sure whether they meant java or activeX).

I'd guess it might be an advert or frame but since it's impossible to replicate it'll be a toughie.

I was just querying if anybody else had suffered it, as I'm of the view it's my end not the site that may be the issue.

I'll look into script debugging and see if that highlights anything of value
  4. HHH

HHH LE

Would post No. 2 on this help you,

IE10 - New Tabs and Pages Problem
  5. I did try that previously, and again since but it didn't make any difference.

I've since rolled back to a fresh install of IE9 and the problem dissapeared, but after I applied the recommended security update it occurred again, but only very sporadically. It also happened on another site - so that leaves ARRSE in the clear.

I've since had further discussions with colleagues that has cast the shadow of doubt on the laptop, in that when it's running at pretty much 100% processor utilisation (often due to other background tasks or indexing), a long running script can be interpreted as an security issue and IE's response is to abandon opening a new tab and will open a new window instead to isolate the perceived risk.

I've cleared a load of junk from the laptop, disabled a number of non-essential services and (touch wood) and it now seems OK.

Thanks for you input and responses.