New Study recommends Face Shields for Helmets

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by clever_user_name, Nov 23, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Read more here.

Strikes me that, as nice as it would be to have a 'face shield' to stop traumatic brain injury, etc, there are good odds that whatever currently exists in the way of kit isn't going to be suited to actual combat use. Rather, I imagine that it's going to impede the ability to fight, glint and give away position, etc.

Or perhaps it's just one more step towards us all dressing like soldiers in HALO.

2. isnt there a face shield being trialled with PECOC for top covers?

3. Has this study worked out how this face shield wont steam up?

4. Yes, the PECOC helmet featured in Soldier Mag a few months ago featured a face shield.

5. Did it feature an Apache-type aiming monocle so one could fire one's weapon accurately? A HUD too, perhaps?

It's one thing to look like a character from Halo, as long as you get to sound like Darth Vader.

6. I got smacked in the face with a brick in NI in 1977 because the new style helmet was fitted with a visor which didn't allow the wearer to bring his weapon into the aim properly. As a result the baton gunners in riots invariably had to leave the visor half raised so that they could fire the baton guns.

It aslo got very warm underneath when running around with the visor in the down position.

Rodney2q