Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

***NEW***Silva Tactical Compasses!! Innovation for the military - About time!

Three entrepreneurial brothers. One great invention. In 1933, Björn, Alvar and Arvid Kjellström invented the first ever liquid-filled compass, and the Silva began. Not only was it the first compass of its kind, but is also set the global standard for how navigation works.
From this beginning, 85 years ago, Silva have grown significantly. As part of that expansion they have been making compasses for militaries all over the world for a number of decades. This has predominantly been based on the Expedition 4, which was due an update. Following development work with the Royal Marines and other elements of the UK military Silva have now launched an updated range of compasses.
The new range includes a more robust base plate and bezel which address the needs of a challenging operational environment. It also brings in line a number of interesting technologies including prismatic elements for commanders and global needles for expeditionary forces required to deploy anywhere across the globe. Included in the package are lanyards with distance measuring scales for 1:25000 and 1:50000. They also allow measurement in both mils and degrees enabling greater accuracy and the passage of accurate information for fires as well as air.
Alongside these must have navigation tools Silva also provide headlamps, binos, mapcases and a huge range of accessories to help you find your way. If you want any further information please email tribe@brigantes.com.

Attachments

• silva-tactical-w750h390.png
    silva-tactical-w750h390.png
    603.3 KB · Views: 670
How about pricing and stockists? It looks like the Expedition Global compass, and the only ones selling that specific model just now seem to be Silva themselves. I'd like to be able to walk into a shop and have a look at it in the flesh, so to speak, before I fork out hundreds of kroner (whatever that is in the Queen's English.)

How about pricing and stockists? It looks like the Expedition Global compass, and the only ones selling that specific model just now seem to be Silva themselves. I'd like to be able to walk into a shop and have a look at it in the flesh, so to speak, before I fork out hundreds of kroner (whatever that is in the Queen's English.)
Hows about they send a sample or three over and someone reviews them for us?

Someone will be along in a moment to say either

* we don't need compasses, now that we have GPS, or

* prismatic compasses and a protractor are far superior. :)
Not from this callsign. GPS's can run out of battery power, and there's always the possibility that your solar charger could be screwed as well. If you have one of those, that is. And I don't know how to use a prismatic compass - a Suunto or a Silva mils/degrees one with a nice handy baseplate and magnifier is my limit.

Not from this callsign. GPS's can run out of battery power, and there's always the possibility that your solar charger could be screwed as well. If you have one of those, that is. And I don't know how to use a prismatic compass - a Suunto or a Silva mils/degrees one with a nice handy baseplate and magnifier is my limit.

You forgot about EMP buggering up things too

So its "tactical" because it now has an ugly and apparently pointless brown bezel?!

I currently use a cheap Silva copy (almost identical, but cost about £3 from Carrefour supermarket), and it seems to have exactly the same +/- accuracy and durability as a big bucks original. IIRC all compasses have the same +/- error anyway.

So its "tactical" because it now has an ugly and apparently pointless brown bezel?!

I currently use a cheap Silva copy (almost identical, but cost about £3 from Carrefour supermarket), and it seems to have exactly the same +/- accuracy and durability as a big bucks original. IIRC all compasses have the same +/- error anyway.
I have two silvas I bought years ago before stalking in Scotland. Both pucker ones, one in mils and one in degrees. Apart from teaching my boys to map read I haven't used them but they sit in my office ready to be thrown in with the maps should I ever need them.