New Sherlock, any cop?

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by No.9, Jul 26, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Watched it, re-ran it, finger hovering on ‘Delete’.

We’ve had a ‘new’ new Prisoner, that at first ‘was’, till people saw it said ‘do what?’. So now they mess with the world’s most famous detective who never lived – bar none. It is they, but transposed to 2010. Not Adamant block-of-ice transposed, but if they were around now, and young.

Gripping, intriguing, or just Saturday Morning Pictures? – for those who remember that.

Out of ten, I can’t give it much. Acting fine, transposition borderline passable, script naff. I can see the comic parody boys having a field day with this. The a-sexual, junkie Holmes with a psychopathic schizo, latent poof, Watson just can’t be taken seriously. The BBC diversity sheet is well ticked however, as well as the above they have disabled and ethnic minority among the characters, but, the police characters (for 2010 serious drama) are utter bollox.

Doyle set an amazing trend in his day, inventing the dim Met detective – a theme which endured remarkably in works of other authors. Nowadays, unless it’s a comedy, we are in the perception of the astute detective, e.g. Frost, Barnaby, Wycliffe, Tennison, Taggart, Morse, Lewis, results through intuition, perception, experience and solid police work – with patches of unconventionality.

I can’t help getting an image of people sitting around wondering how to make ALL the characters too distinct by making them too radically different to the point of being incredulous in the mix. For comedy on the other hand, this can work very well.

Would have loved it if Holmes went through his extended spiel on Watson’s life history, based on Watson’s mobile phone, concluded by asking Watson if he was right, to have Watson say, ”Actually I only found it four hours ago in a toilet at Euston?”

If this is to descend into a comedy, well there’re half way there. If this is supposed to be serious drama, then it’s just more BBC missed-by-a-mile bovine excreta, and I await the announcement that this was never mean to be ‘real’ Sherlock Holmes, but just a version to p1ss away more of our money and prove the people in control are know-nothing mongs.

2. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

I quite liked it.

better than the pish ITV usually put out with whatever no-mark recently left that other bastion of the lowest common denominator, coronation street.
  3. As a bit of light telly, it's not bad. I quite enjoyed it's humourous bits, found the RAMC Dr. Watson being a crackshot with a pistol particularly funny. As drama its pish but you could never top Jeremy Brett no matter how hard you'd tried.

I'll give it 7/10. A bit of fun best not taken too seriously. Bit like Moffat's other stuff; Coupling and Dr Who.
  4. Basil Rathbone, Peter Cushing to name but two IMHO
  5. I thought it was good.... better than most of the rubish on telly at the moment .... and its only 3 episodes I think I can manage that
  6. Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce it wasn't !! (Not that they were accurate to the Conan-doyle books themselves) . As entertainment with a willing suspension of disbelief, I thought it was rather good. Freeman makes a crap ex-Mob Dr but we are not talking about realism here.

Rather like the Guy Ritchie movie, it isn't seeking to be faithful to the books but appears to use that pre-knowledge of the characters to give us an extra level of entertainment.

But then, what do I know ?

7. As has been said, not Grammy winning stuff but amusing and watchable
  8. What he said.

I also thought the pistol shot at the end a great laugh, ex RAMC plus distance involved had me rolling about with laughter much to the chagrin of 'er indoors who enjoyed it all.
  9. I have met several crackshots in the RAMC, many who were noted pistol shots at University. Jeremy Brett was the worst Holmes ever in my opinion but each to their own.
    I thought the Holmes character was about as arrogant and autistic as I had always imagined the original Holmes. Watson portrayed as a slightly shop-soiled ex Army doctor was OK, the psychosomatic limp from a shoulder wound, that I found strange but the interaction between Holmes and Watson was excellent and some of the dialogue was really funny, in the right way.
    I thought introducing Mycroft was probably pap, gilding the lilly as it were. The Lestrade character I though came out as a very canny copper who knew how to get what he wanted out of Holmes and knew how to control him and use him to the best effect.
    On the whole I thought it was watchable and the characters translated well into the modern day. If you like the reasoning and logic of The Mentalist then Sherlock lifts the bar considerably.
    There was a comment about the BBC ticking the diversity box, come on, have you ever been to London?
  10. There were a lot more nods to the books than were ever in any of the Basil Rathbone films. That said, Martin Freeman was difficult to accept as a "man with military bearing" as Dr Watson. Lestrade was well played, but the Detective Sergeant was boxticking gone too far, a mixed race woman who had no real purpose. Mark Gatiss as Mycroft was an excellent case study in Aspergers imho.
  11. Although gilded with a tinge of comedy, I thought this modern day take on Holmes and Watson was brilliant. Pity there are only two episodes left.
  12. Overall enjoyable but lacked "hooks" in the script. It is difficult, transposing the great detective into 2010 and trying to play the Met as incompetents. After all, the science of police detection owes much to the catalyst that detectives like Holmes and other contemporaries offered to the science. The clever thing to do would be to play the police as procedurally hidebound whilst holmes is able to skip over those hurdles making him quicker and slicker rather than uniquely able.

As for the pistolero Dr Watson - it was very much a feature of the books. His trusty Webley featured regularly in denouements.
  13. Whilst not denying there are probably crack shots in the RAMC, across a courtyard that looked about a 100 metres at least and through 2 x windows with a 9mm Browning, I think not, but who cares I still enjoyed it overall.
  14. An interesting attempt at bringing Sir Arthur's most famous character into the 21st century, and I thought Stephen Moffat and Mark Gattis did it well. However, the most incredulous part of the story was the alleged affair between the token politically correct DS and the nobber of a forensic investigator -that was just too unrealistic.
  15. Agree with that, had me amused as well.