New setup wont recognise old (second) hard drive.

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by flamingo, Mar 27, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've just upgraded the interior of my PC, but I had all data (documents, pictures, IPOD contents) on a separate hard-drive in the old PC. I've tried to attach it to the new motherboard, but it won't play.

It's detected by BIOS and in Device Manager (where it says it is working), but it's not being detected in My Computer for me to access the data on it. It is an IDE drive, set up as a master, with the DVD drive set up as slave, the motherboard only has one IDE slot. The new hard-drive with the OS on it is an SATA drive.
    I was able to get data off another hard drive, but the important one won't play.

It's Windows XP professional, service pack 3 as an OS

It's got seven years worth of photos on it, kids birthdays etc, not to mention about 60gb of music / podcasts! If I've lost them all, the Mrs will rip my balls off! 8O

HELP! :)

2. I had this problem a few years ago. Bugger of a problem without actually having my hands on the old HDD though. But try these:

1) Remove both HDD’s and check that the new HDD jumper switch is set to Master and the old HDD is a slave. (Little jumper pins on the rear of the HDD, sometimes difficult to read)

2) With the new HDD plugged into the SATA slot and the 2nd HDD plugged into the IDE slot go to the BIOS setup, (Usually F2 but you knew that) and change the old disk controller setting from AHCI to IDE.

3) Remove the New HDD, then run the old HDD as a Master and if that works burn all the important data onto a DVD (Should have been doing that weekly/monthly anyway)

4) With both HDD’s fitted go to the prompt box (run) and type “diskmgmt.msc” without the quotes and have a gander at the disk management page. Does your old HDD show up with a drive letter? If not you may be able to assign one (Usually D) by right clicking on the drive and looking at the menu and choosing assign drive.

5) Try the old HDD in another PC and make a back up.

Your Old HDD might of course be knackered. 7 years is a lot of use. 8O

All a bit simple and I am sure you may have done some if not all of the above. :)

Last but not least get your credit card out and prepare to have it hammered with a pro recovery company. :cry:

3. msr

msr LE

Easiest solution: Buy a USB external drive case off ebay for a tenner.

But then you already have a backup of your data don't you?

msr

4. 2) With the new HDD plugged into the SATA slot and the 2nd HDD plugged into the IDE slot go to the BIOS setup, and change the old disk controller setting from AHCI to IDE.

Awesome, I added my old HD as a slave a few months ago but gave up trying to get it to work, I just did the BIOS change and "bingo" slave drive is now working. Cheers.

5. I've got 2 sata drives and an ide drive in mine at the moment, None of the drives is jumpered for master or slave the motherboard recognizes them from where they are plugged in! May be try without jumpering them see if that works! Just an idea :)

6. Thanks guys. This drive was the backup, I was running the OS on another disk and backing up to the separate drive. I've tried the no jumpers, but I'll give it another go.

I haven't tried changing the old disk from AHCI to IDE, also I haven't tried to change the drive letter. I'll give them a go

Thanks for the suggestions.

7. This is what I did when I had a similar problem.

8. Worked a treat!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!

9. msr

msr LE

Now get a proper back up solution in place ;)

msr

10. I thought this was - everything on second hard drive, not used for OS or running programmes.

11. If your drive fails you will lose all your data or it will cost LOTS to get it back.

Either backup to another hard drive as well or burn to disks or some other backup.
    If you do not want to lose data make sure it is backed up in two places. (Especially family photos).

12. msr

msr LE

And make sure one of the places is outside your house.

13. msr, what's your views on online back-up? Have always been a little dubius using this.

14. Same here. What do the grown-up's think?

15. A lot of companies, including mine use On-line backup, as a secondary source of storage, and there's a lot more sensitive information that the average domestic user. Price can vary greatly, most ISP's offer a small amount free.