New Service Dress

Discussion in 'Officers' started by Blyth_spirit, May 23, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have heard from a few sources that next year (read 2012?) a new uniform will enter into service to replace No.2 dress, service dress and barrack dress. This is supposed to be an all rank dress and will be issued to all rather than purchase for officers. As yet I have seen no pictures / examples or official confirmation.

Has anyone seen any pics (post please) or further information on the new uniform? How is this new uniform going to fit in with Regimental customs (cherrypickers, sam brownes/crossbelts, blue pullys etc)? And what do we do with 20,000 old service dresses?
  2. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Sell them to the fuzzy-wuzzies. It is what we did with the SLR.
  3. Spot on AY - 20lbs of thick khaki serge, just right for sub saharan Africa!
  4. CGS briefing team told us about it when they visited...they say its modelled on the current Guards Officer Service Dress and should be in by 2008. I reckon its a pretty good idea to stop unscrupulous tailors ripping OCdts off when they don't know any better!
  5. Agreed!

It will mean that officers won't get an allowance for uniform; but them's the breaks.
  6. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

So the Guards Officers service dress, but amended to lowest bidder specifications. Shiny Nylon No2s all round then!
  7. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

I shouldn't think there will be anything to stop the sartorialists amongst us getting bespoke versions made. I have to say, I'm looking forward to a new 'issued' service dress if it's going to be extended to ancient old knackers like me, the set I had made when I was 21 seems to have shrunk somewhat over the years...
  8. That wouldn't happen with man-made fibres!
  9. Percy_Pigeon

Percy_Pigeon War Hero Book Reviewer

pse PM me for details i will post a reply later in the day
  10. Royal Regiment of Scotland are to retain their kilt but apart from R Irish, KRH and 1 or 2 others everyone gets the chippy pyjamas.

Barbs, Officers will still get a uniform allowance, just slightly reduced in line with the cost of service dress. Make sure you are not using the word SCOTS in writing or speech, it remains a map marking symbol and that is its sole use. I have tried to call the KOSB Battalion and got "1 SCOTS" coming out of the earpiece, obviously a wrong number!
  11. Gents, if you have any balls, when the new service dress is brought in, if ever, then continue to wear you old one. As for shrinkage, maybe a bit growth is more the problem.
  12. If you were right I'd do what you say... but as you know SCOTS is the 'short title' not a map-marking symbol. It can be used in common parlance as was 1 RS, 1 RHF, 1 KOSB, 1 BW, 1 HLDRS, 1 AandSH.

Don't get too pompous about it...