New Series 3 Lightweight.

aardvark64

War Hero
You will need to buy that essential item called a 'BUNGEE CORD' to hold the gear lever in the last gear selected.

Most Military Surplus Shops sell them in dark green but I would go to Halfords and get a bright yellow coloured one. It will be easier to find it in the dark when it pings off and disappears somewhere in the cab.
Short BUNGEE cords are also essential for stopping the front doors from flying open when going round tight corners at anything faster than walking pace.

You will need to buy that essential item called a 'BUNGEE CORD' to hold the gear lever in the last gear selected.

Most Military Surplus Shops sell them in dark green but I would go to Halfords and get a bright yellow coloured one. It will be easier to find it in the dark when it pings off and disappears somewhere in the cab.

Good skills, Dog guarding the tea and picnic.

Don't want a sneaky fox or a under class scruffy peasant stealing it.
Short BUNGEE cords are also essential for stopping the front doors from flying open when going round tight corners at anything faster than walking pace.
DOORS!!!! what are these doors you talk about.

It's a lightweight.

NO DOORS REQUIRED or the other bits and bobs shown in the Poster's first photo.

Mind you the Rover does look tidy ready for a REME PRE Inspection.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
DOORS!!!! what are these doors you talk about.

It's a lightweight.

NO DOORS REQUIRED or the other bits and bobs shown in the Poster's first photo.

Mind you the Rover does look tidy ready for a REME PRE Inspection.
Doors are helpful for keeping the seats in the vehicle when cornering

Dr Death

War Hero
Good Evening,

I’ve recently purchased this beauty: View attachment 477107
I’m keen to learn more of its history. Below is a direct extraction from the ‘Merlin’ database. As you can see some are self-explanatory (although feel free to add anything relevant). The internet has brought up conflicting results so If you know the location of the following units at the stated date I’d be grateful - thank you.

9/1989 - 57 LOG SP SQN VEH TP RLC

4/1992 - 152 RLC

12/1992 - 2 RRF

6/1994 - 1 STAFFORDS

3/1996 - 1 GG

7/1996 - JSU CYRPUS

12/1996 - DSU

6/1997 - 1 GG
Buy a decent car tool kit & subscribe to a magazine like Land Rover Owner International to get advice.
Loads of adverts for suppliers & people offering services.

You do not own any vehicle you own a Land Rover!

Yarra

Old-Salt
..Erm.... isnt all that exactly factory standard ?
No problem with the stuff you’ve highlighted, that is indeed standard part of the ‘period charm’ of any Series Classic.

Wot I is sayin’ Master Ravers is guilty of, is the blatant and ungodly addition of what appears to be the following; Carlos Fandango 1 Ton rims, 4x Martin Baker Mk1 ejection seats in the rear well deck, as well as Pifco bike light and a ferking BOTTLE OPENER bolted to the rear qtr... and wtaf is he doing with a Fortnum and Mason picnic hamper ‘artfully’ draped across the tailgate. It’s a ferkin S2 Landy bruv, not a Bristol Shooting Brake.

Although I do like the Dog and the rest looks v tidy (nice tilt btw)....

Good Evening,

I’m keen to learn more of its history. Below is a direct extraction from the ‘Merlin’ database. As you can see some are self-explanatory (although feel free to add anything relevant). The internet has brought up conflicting results so If you know the location of the following units at the stated date I’d be grateful - thank you.

4/1992 - 152 RLC

12/1992 - 2 RRF

6/1994 - 1 STAFFORDS

3/1996 - 1 GG

7/1996 - JSU CYRPUS

12/1996 - DSU

6/1997 - 1 GG
57 Log Sp Sqn RLC was never called that in 1989, due to the amalgamation in 1993. The unit appears to a succession sub-unit of the Ordnance Depot Kinnegar.

4/1992 - 152 Regt RLC
(As the RLC wasn't formed until 1993, it's likely it was with 152 Regt RCT prior to amalgamation)

Good Evening,

4/1992 - 152 RLC

12/1992 - 2 RRF

6/1994 - 1 STAFFORDS

3/1996 - 1 GG

7/1996 - JSU CYRPUS

12/1996 - DSU

6/1997 - 1 GG
Send me the chassis number and I'll tell you the contract batch number and date of delivery

Buy a decent car tool kit & subscribe to a magazine like Land Rover Owner International to get advice.
Loads of adverts for suppliers & people offering services.

You do not own any vehicle you own a Land Rover!
There are lots of people to give advice because there are lots of 'em have spent hours under the bonnet and similar.

I know, it’s going through an MOT and then tax (just the motions for the tax though) and it’s always good to get an MOT anyway. That said it’s exempt both.
It'll fail , because you haven't painted the wheel nuts

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Be careful, the 200TDi isn't type approved for that chassis, which means that without a VOSA inspection getting a SVA the vehicle isn't legal on UK highways.
Not true.

Engine swaps don’t need to be type approved as long as the chassis isn’t modified.

You don’t need to modify the chassis to put a TDI engine in a series Landy.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
They still went like stink compared to a normal LR. Just seems wrong to put a diesel in it. Don’t blame you, but it’s heresy. Wonder if a V8 will fit? :)
A Rover V8 will, if you mean a USA one, I would think a small block Chevy would fit and be useable. don't come crying to me if it doesn't and you didn't measure it up though :plotting:

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
No problem with the stuff you’ve highlighted, that is indeed standard part of the ‘period charm’ of any Series Classic.

Wot I is sayin’ Master Ravers is guilty of, is the blatant and ungodly addition of what appears to be the following; Carlos Fandango 1 Ton rims, 4x Martin Baker Mk1 ejection seats in the rear well deck, as well as Pifco bike light and a ferking BOTTLE OPENER bolted to the rear qtr... and wtaf is he doing with a Fortnum and Mason picnic hamper ‘artfully’ draped across the tailgate. It’s a ferkin S2 Landy bruv, not a Bristol Shooting Brake.

Although I do like the Dog and the rest looks v tidy (nice tilt btw)....
Guilty of all of the above, but I take exception to you dissing the rear seats.

Those were a genuine factory option.

The bottle opener is covering up a hole where a previous owner had something else bolted to the back.

Possibly a bottle opener.

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
Not true.

Engine swaps don’t need to be type approved as long as the chassis isn’t modified.

You don’t need to modify the chassis to put a TDI engine in a series Landy.
It's not a Series, it's a lightweight, which has it's own TA, seperate from the Series' TA
Yes they do if changing fuel type or the change in BHP is over a certain %age (can't remember the figure, it was ten years ago when the discussion was had) - according to JE Engineering anyway.

Last edited:

Yarra

Old-Salt
Guilty of all of the above, but I take exception to you dissing the rear seats.

Those were a genuine factory option.

The bottle opener is covering up a hole where a previous owner had something else bolted to the back.

Possibly a bottle opener.
Which factory? AVRoe or English Electric? ;)

A Rover V8 will, if you mean a USA one, I would think a small block Chevy would fit and be useable. don't come crying to me if it doesn't and you didn't measure it up though :plotting:
Yes, I did mean a Rover V8. I’m surprised it would fit, given the smaller everything in an Air Portable. There’s a bloke up the road from me who has a business renovating and selling Land Rovers, especially Defenders and Series. He does the odd Disco or RR Classic, but his prices are insane for finished vehicles, and they’re not that good to be honest. Most of them are RHD, and have Series bits on Defenders, or the other way round. He needs to source some Ex-MOD early LHD Defenders from Germany/Holland/Belgium. There must be thousands of them that are old enough to be legal here now.

If I was going to go that route, I’d source a LHD 90, and pay him to tart it up.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Yes, I did mean a Rover V8. I’m surprised it would fit, given the smaller everything in an Air Portable. There’s a bloke up the road from me who has a business renovating and selling Land Rovers, especially Defenders and Series. He does the odd Disco or RR Classic, but his prices are insane for finished vehicles, and they’re not that good to be honest. Most of them are RHD, and have Series bits on Defenders, or the other way round. He needs to source some Ex-MOD early LHD Defenders from Germany/Holland/Belgium. There must be thousands of them that are old enough to be legal here now.

If I was going to go that route, I’d source a LHD 90, and pay him to tart it up.
Used to be one cutting about Camberley in the late 80s I believe it was twin turbos too, just to kick the arse out of it.

skeetstar

Old-Salt
It's not a Series, it's a lightweight, which has it's own TA, seperate from the Series' TA
Yes they do if changing fuel type or the change in BHP is over a certain %age (can't remember the figure, it was ten years ago when the discussion was had) - according to JE Engineering anyway.
Isn't it more properly referred to as an 'air portable' rather than a lightweight?

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
Isn't it more properly referred to as an 'air portable' rather than a lightweight?
It depends on where in the production / supply / use chain you are - equally, the 'Series' and 'Defender' have lots of different designations for the same reasons, I used the same colloquial name as the OP for ease of understanding.

I’d always thought that too, so I looked it up. Its designation is ”Truck, Utility, 1/2Ton, 4x4 Rover Series III”. Earlier ones I suppose were IIA.

There must have been some seriously weedy helicopters when the requirement was raised, because even a full-size 110 and trailer fits with room to spare in a Herc. Early piston-engined Wessexes, I suppose.

Latest Threads