New Scrummage Laws

Discussion in 'Sports, Adventure Training and Events' started by the_matelot, Nov 17, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have to be honest and say I had my reservations about how the new law would affect the scrum but it seems to be a sensible solution without 'killing' the purpose of the scrum.

Any thoughts????
  2. The "engage" part of the way the scrim comes together needs to be adjusted. This seems a reasonable way of doing so.
  3. This form of scrumagging has been done at Sprog level for years, U-17's and so on.

4. I agree.
    I'm sure this will be seen as a good approach to reducing long term injuries, and also help to improve the technicalties of scrimmaging.

Also, as JL says, keeping the scrum up is the target in this new rule.

It's frustrating to see collapsed scrums because thick headed props can't get their approach right.....

It will now be a case of power v. power?
  5. Not quite, but similar. The important thing is to stop the charge and collision effect, which is often the cause of the most dramtic scrum collapses. It may even be that Referees will issue a command like "Drive" or "Push" or may penalise a side that is obviuosly exerting any kind of pressure before the ball is put in.

As concerning though is the Feeding aspect, as for my money putting the ball at the feet of the second row, does not produce a fair contest. referees must also address this and make it clear to players.
  6. So there's obviously going to be a lot more niggling going on in there.
    Wonder what options will open up for the hooker once this is implemented.....
  7. Same as are within the Laws, The Hooker may retrive the ball by use of the feet only!
  8. I meant his put in options.....
  9. "Thick headed props" know exactly what they are doing by not going in square, which is to warp the opposition prop like a pretzel so he can't drive. They need to get former props to teach ref the tricks of the trade, so they can penialise it straight away and cut it out. Friends of mine who play prop always seem to spot whats going on in the front of a scum while I (backrow forward) haven't a scoobie until it colapses!

I heard the commentaor say in the Ireland vs Austrailla match :)D :dance: :clap:) that feeding is to be seriously looked at and penialised this season by the refs, though admittedly there is little evidience of it yet.
  10. Thats quite good as at the lower club levels its how it is done anyway. Any good coach should teach the sholders above hips as matter of course (its been part of the programme for at least 5/6 years on coaching courses).

It derisks it significantly without taking away the trial of strength!

I didn't think i'd say this but well in the IRB, i thought they were joining the "we are too scared to be grownups" brigade but i stand corrected!

11. Don't misquote me. Look at the thread again, then test and adjust.
  12. Apologises TG for being a mong :x
  13. Having played hooker for 18 years, i can safely say that (most) props are "thick headed". it's when they try and get cocky by not going in square and with their arses up in the clouds that i suffered ! (Literally)

Now that i'm into coaching a youth team, and we're playing 8 man scrums(U15s), the first thing taught is 'shoulders higher than hips'.
  14. About 30 years ago it was normal practice to grab a hold of the opposite prop before engaging. I forget the exact reason that was outlawed, but it had a pretty dramatic effect on the resultant stability of the front row engagement.

This is a sensible idea and long overdue. With my minis and midis I have always taught them to try and get hand on the opposite number when engaging to make sure that they line up properly.
  15. It is contray to The Laws to engage (or set) with heads lower than hips. This is not rally what the RFU are driving at (pun intended). The aim is to reduce the impact, that is unecessarily being created by the two packs colliding. Simply that is not part of the game, it is nothing to do with contesting for the ball, which as you realise is not in play at that time.