new Scramble for Africa

Discussion in 'MoD News' started by bullet_catcher, Jan 16, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Are the French starting a new Scramble For Africa, or just starting to clean up the world? They have launched raids in Mali and Somalia within the last week. If we are joining in, may we please do so with more resources? And either way, we should consider avoiding Matabeleland, because they repeatedly gobbed us last time.
  2. Quick! Someone call MOD!
    Someones hijacked their RSS feed!
  3. Are the enemy using the latest Guava halves mk6? Or are they still using the old Mk4's?

If they have got the mk6 then I may want air support.
  4. Ooh Goody, more asylum seekers.
  5. What scramble?

The Chinese have already bought all the bits worth having.
  6. Natural resources: gold, phosphates, kaolin, salt, limestone, uranium, gypsum, granite, hydropower
    note: bauxite, iron ore, manganese, tin, and copper deposits are known but not exploited

7. Lobengula might disagree with that assessment.....
  8. You chaps would go on about that bloody stool! ;-)
  9. True, both the Matabele & Shona tribes were defeated after some early successes against a few unprepared settlers!
    To the OP, I think you will find that no European nations will be involved in any land grabs in Africa, however if you look at the way the Chinese are rapidly inserting themselves into many African nations by offering cheap tatty imports in return for access to African mineral resources you might see the beginning of a very different story!! The Chinese, as they did with the TanZam Railway, are using their own people, in the main, to do this, with the Africans only being used for the simplest of tasks. The PLA will be a lot more difficult to dislodge than the former colonial powers forces and definately not as worried about world opinion should they have to resort to force to defend their interests!!
  10. Too bogged down in Afghan, surely the government isn't that foolish. Oh wait sorry I thought I was talking about normal folk. Well yes they are that foolish.
  11. If the Chinese are there do they deliver and is their a discount for MOD90?