New Scotland Yard to be sold

Slipper of Islington, Doesn't have the same ring as Slipper of the Yard though.

Do you really need so many officers employed in Central London on administration tasks - could the jobs not be moved to the outskirts of the capital?
I've been inside NSY (on official business, I hasten to add) numerous times and with a few exceptions, it's an absolute dump. In any case, the Met have moved a significant amount of their support functions to the Empress State Building in Olympia and their operational functions to Cobalt Square in Vauxhall.

You went to the whole rigmarole of joining just to tell us that? At least explain who the bastards are. The list on arrse is long and distinguished.
Well I never liked you for a start, you shortarse ginger four eyed Welsh git. Now step aside and let the bastards show their sallow fish faces.

******* Welsh. Sell Scotland Yard will you?

Bouillabaisse

LE
Book Reviewer
Well I never liked you for a start, you shortarse ginger four eyed Welsh git. Now step aside and let the bastards show their sallow fish faces.

******* Welsh. Sell Scotland Yard will you?

Why shouldn't the government sell it? The people in it have been selling themselves for years.

And I'm not a bastard. I'm a ****.

I've been inside NSY (on official business, I hasten to add) numerous times and with a few exceptions, it's an absolute dump. In any case, the Met have moved a significant amount of their support functions to the Empress State Building in Olympia and their operational functions to Cobalt Square in Vauxhall.
Christ knows who advises The Met on property matters. They were still occupying Tintagel House in Vauxhall when the Empress deal was struck, the general idea at the time being that they could decant to West London.

It was then realised that they'd have to undertake quite a schedule of delapidations on Tintagel to return it to the owners. That took an extra few years of rent plus the cost of the 'repairs' to the M&E and internal infrastructure of the building. In fact as I recall there was an extension of the lease to accommodate this scenario. Tintagel was a particularly dull working environment for those who had to operate out of it. Decent spot on the river though and from the street windows you could watch Geoffrey Archer take his latest muse off to the Lavender.

I'll surmise there'll be a few departments politicing to be located at Cobalt as opposed to Hammersmith.

Decent spot on the river though and from the street windows you could watch Geoffrey Archer take his latest muse off to the Lavender.
Ah yes, Lavenders. I always preferred Roses myself, but each to there own; never saw Jeffrey Archer in there though, but I did see Ali Dizaei in there absolutely batfaced once.

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer
it's not much of a story , the place was built in 1967, no ducts for air con , computer conduits or modern office facilities . It costs 11 , million per year to upkeep so just like any of the other businesses in the city and west end the met are looking at selling the plot and moving to premises that will give them 21st century facilitates . It makes sense , what do you do ? empty the place and rent offices for two years or so whilst a new office block is built on the site , or sell the existing site and move on .
I have been on the grand tour of the place and it was old fashioned back in the 1990's.

it's not much of a story , the place was built in 1967, no ducts for air con , computer conduits or modern office facilities . It costs 11 , million per year to upkeep so just like any of the other businesses in the city and west end the met are looking at selling the plot and moving to premises that will give them 21st century facilitates . It makes sense , what do you do ? empty the place and rent offices for two years or so whilst a new office block is built on the site , or sell the existing site and move on .
I have been on the grand tour of the place and it was old fashioned back in the 1990's.
Nice cup of tea to be had in the canteen though.

I worked in both. Empress State is far superior to NSY. And there are some decent cafes as well