New Scientist helicopter question

C

cloudbuster

Sometimes, if you get it spectacularly wrong, you even get to see the back of the artificial horizon.

[video]http://youtu.be/17qCjs-AzXs[/video]

What's this then. Hope this works it's my first lynx.....Getit!

I believe that the key issue is the ability to transfer the force from the rotor disc to the aircraft while in the inverted position. Most helicopters have a hinge system which allow the rotors to move and therefore once you start moving into high angle positions the hinges allow too much movement and not enough transfer of force. In theory any helicopter with enough dynamic input at the start of the loop then they can complete it, although the upper portion will be uncontrolled.

The Lynx has a very unique rotor hub design, using a flexible structure to transfer the forces, this allows much more control and effectively allows the rotor disc to work inverted, so the Lynx can if flown well carry out a controlled loop/barrel roll.

S_R

p.s. I know it's not the NAAFI but just in case - Wah?

C

cloudbuster

Blah............The Lynx has a very unique rotor hub design, using a flexible structure to transfer the forces, this allows much more control and effectively allows the rotor disc to work inverted, so the Lynx can if flown well carry out a controlled loop/barrel roll.

S_R
OK, Cleverclogs, explain how you can get a Gazelle inverted, too?

(Yes, Flash, I know that for legal reasons it's a 'roll'.......................)

OK, Cleverclogs, explain how you can get a Gazelle inverted, too?

(Yes, Flash, I know that for legal reasons it's a 'roll'.......................)

No, for physics reasons its not called 'inverted'. Helicopters cannot fly inverted; they roll through inversion.

A possibly stupid question from a helicopter ingenue, is there no way you can change the pitch of the blades so far that they provide lift when the aircraft is inverted? I'm sure it would be hideously unstable but is it theoretically a possiblity?

Sometimes, if you get it spectacularly wrong, you even get to see the back of the artificial horizon.
Which is better than the real horizon I've heard.

A possibly stupid question from a helicopter ingenue, is there no way you can change the pitch of the blades so far that they provide lift when the aircraft is inverted? I'm sure it would be hideously unstable but is it theoretically a possiblity?
Now if you could get a lynx (or any real helo) to do this I would be really really impressed.

[video=youtube;XS__SmQt4-o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XS__SmQt4-o&feature=player_detailpage[/video]