New Scientist helicopter question

Discussion in 'Aviation' started by Dubb_al_Ibn, May 26, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This question?

2. Porridge_gun

Porridge_gun LE Good Egg (charities)

helicopters can do a loop de loop with another helicopter underslung.
  3. Totally impossible - ignore my avatar and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
  4. Sometimes, if you get it spectacularly wrong, you even get to see the back of the artificial horizon.
  5. Yep and ignore this pic too. Its a trick of the light ;-)

6. What's this then. Hope this works it's my first lynx.....Getit!
  7. Sympathetic_Reaction

Sympathetic_Reaction LE Book Reviewer

I believe that the key issue is the ability to transfer the force from the rotor disc to the aircraft while in the inverted position. Most helicopters have a hinge system which allow the rotors to move and therefore once you start moving into high angle positions the hinges allow too much movement and not enough transfer of force. In theory any helicopter with enough dynamic input at the start of the loop then they can complete it, although the upper portion will be uncontrolled.

The Lynx has a very unique rotor hub design, using a flexible structure to transfer the forces, this allows much more control and effectively allows the rotor disc to work inverted, so the Lynx can if flown well carry out a controlled loop/barrel roll.

p.s. I know it's not the NAAFI but just in case - Wah?
  8. Nope, didn't getit. Link fubar...
  9. Or this;

Sympathetic_Reaction, would you like me to expand on your explanation? :-D
    • Like Like x 2
  10. OK, Cleverclogs, explain how you can get a Gazelle inverted, too?

(Yes, Flash, I know that for legal reasons it's a 'roll'.......................)
  11. Balls - You've got your camera upside down! :)

12. No, for physics reasons its not called 'inverted'. Helicopters cannot fly inverted; they roll through inversion.
  13. Go in to sub-min pitch on a Lynx and you can ;-)