New SA Reserve Force unit names

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
I add 4 to the collection every year. I have at least 4 (have bought extra proofs when I have "good years") from every year all the way back to the year of my birth, which just so happens to be the same as the Krugerrand. I "spend" the proofs when I have bad years.
Not knocking as it's a sound investment, but I've never seen the point in collectors paying extra for proof Krugerrands.
It's still going to be an ounce of gold even if it has been in a bag with other coins.

On the other hand, collectors generally are a weird bunch and will pay vast sums for anything they regard as special.

Sad news indeed, we face the same in the British Army in the future as words like 'Rifles' or 'Guards' or even the word 'Royal' become offensive to the ever increasing Lefty Snowflakes in modern society
Which British Army unit names have been changed due to offending sensibilities?

Not knocking as it's a sound investment, but I've never seen the point in collectors paying extra for proof Krugerrands.
It's still going to be an ounce of gold even if it has been in a bag with other coins.

On the other hand, collectors generally are a weird bunch and will pay vast sums for anything they regard as special.
Late 80s, there was a huge 'boycott krugerrands' campaign.
By sheer coincidence, around that time, there was the issue of the US Eagle, and the Canadian Maple Leaf 1oz coins...

LD17

Old-Salt
Which British Army unit names have been changed due to offending sensibilities?
None ......but I have noticed that NO current Regt Cap Badge features a Sphinx with the “Egypt” battle honour (The Rifles don’t even wear the backbadge with the beret)

Oh and slightly OT ......why The Royal Welsh instead of “The Royal Welch” ?

None ......but I have noticed that NO current Regt Cap Badge features a Sphinx with the “Egypt” battle honour (The Rifles don’t even wear the backbadge with the beret)
The Rifles wear the back badge on their forage caps don't they?

The Royal Scots Dragoon Guards still have a French eagle as their cap badge, and other regiments have other battle honours as part of their uniform.

UDR? Well, it was "amalgamated" but they wanted shot of it.
UDR amalgamated with the Royal Irish Rangers to form the Royal Irish Regiment, which had lots of home service battalions.

UDR amalgamated with the Royal Irish Rangers to form the Royal Irish Regiment, which had lots of home service battalions.
Indeed - but that happened because the name and reputation of the UDR was "inconvenient" rather than because it saved any money....

Until the SHTF collectors generally pay well above the odds for proof, so it works for me to throw a little extra at them when things are good, as I can always get a bit extra out of them when things are bad. Of course when things do get very bad, you can't eat gold, but I have way more than enough to get myself killed for.

LD17

Old-Salt
The Rifles wear the back badge on their forage caps don't they?

The Royal Scots Dragoon Guards still have a French eagle as their cap badge, and other regiments have other battle honours as part of their uniform.
Yes on the Forage Caps not the everyday beret ...........75 years ago, off the top of my head
Lancashire Fusiliers
Royal Lincolnshire Regt
Essex Regt
South Wales Borderers
East Lancashire Regt
Gloucestershire Regt
Dorset Regt (had Marabout instead of Egypt)

All had the Sphinx superscribed “Egypt”........ Defeating the French is PC (as of now), methinks fighting a campaign, albeit against the French, in a dusky sand covered place is no longer PC (Imperialism = bad). I may be wrong but it just strikes me odd that no Regt now has that prominently displayed.

Yes on the Forage Caps not the everyday beret ...........75 years ago, off the top of my head
Lancashire Fusiliers
Royal Lincolnshire Regt
Essex Regt
South Wales Borderers
East Lancashire Regt
Gloucestershire Regt
Dorset Regt (had Marabout instead of Egypt)

All had the Sphinx superscribed “Egypt”........ Defeating the French is PC (as of now), methinks fighting a campaign, albeit against the French, in a dusky sand covered place is no longer PC (Imperialism = bad). I may be wrong but it just strikes me odd that no Regt now has that prominently displayed.
2nd Royal Anglians wear the Sphinx as collar dogs - carried on from the Lincolns, the Essex did wear the Sphinx but they live on through their service in Gibraltar marked on the Royal Anglians cap badge (which was chosen as relatively unifying as it was a battle honour of the Essex, Suffolks, and Northamptonshires).

The sphinx is on the colours of the RRF through the Lancashire Fusiliers, and of the Royal Welsh through the SWB

there are so many regiments hiding in the Duke of Lancaster's Regt that it's unsurprising that the sphinx didn't make the cut - especially given that the East Lancs had been one of six regts smashed together to make the QLR beforehand. Although worth noting that weirdly, as a sort of genetic throwback that skipped a generation, the DoL's capbadge is basically that of the East Lancs but without the sphinx, which I'd never clocked before I started writing this post...

The Glosters as has been noted donated their back badge to the Rifles, and that will have to do for the Dorsets given they're the same mob these days.

so I make that one regiment that isn't wearing or parading the sphinx that could, and I wouldn't be surprised if it isn't somewhere in the DoL's as well.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
The smart move would have been to number the units and not invoke memories of a troubled history. But then 'Smart' and the ANC aren't in the same postcode.

Latest Threads