New ruling to force British voters to show ID before voting

#1
New ruling to force British voters to show ID before voting

Every British citizen will soon have to sign a form or show identification before they can vote, the Government has announced.

In an historic shift, which comes after years of campaigning by the Electoral Commission and The Times, the Government finally agreed yesterday to end the system whereby one person in each household names all those eligible to vote in their property.

Voters will be allowed to register individually on the electoral roll from the autumn of 2010 by either signing a form or providing identification. Household registration will still be an option until the autumn of 2015, when individual registration will become compulsory if it is given approval by the Electoral Commission.

Michael Wills, the Justice Minister, called the decision “radical and unprecedented” last night.

Army of ghost voters who won an election
Local elections: the democratic deficit
Campaigners have been pressing for individual registration as a way of tackling rising electoral fraud, such as “ghost voters” who are registered but do not exist in a house and fraudsters who apply for bogus postal votes.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/politics/article5835407.ece

I think this is a good idea, ZANU Labour fear the idea as they know that they will suddenly lose voters off the roll.
 
#2
Why are they still persuing this issue when Mr Cameron has clearly stated that the next Government will put an end to the ID Card proposals.

When will that slack jawed fat cnut Brown and his party whore Harman and lezzer Smith get it into their fecking useless heads that the days of the fuhrer are quickly coming to an end.

Just put us (the country) out of our misery Gordon and find a quiet woods somewhere and do the honourable thing, at least you'll be remembered for getting one thing right!!!
 
#3
Just wait for it to be deemed racist, just like the suggestion that people should show ID when voting in the US was last year.

Apparently, it was both racist and disenfranchised people who were not eligible to vote anyway...
 
#5
MrPVRd said:
Wonder if "they" will try and make the ID card the only valid form of identification.
Thats the problem, while I have no problem showing ID to vote, I do not want or intend to have a ZANU Labour ID card forced on me.
 
#6
.Sven said:
MrPVRd said:
Wonder if "they" will try and make the ID card the only valid form of identification.
Thats the problem, while I have no problem showing ID to vote, I do not want or intend to have a ZANU Labour ID card forced on me.
Why a compulsory ID card???

Just pop along to the voting booth with a copy of your poll tax payment. :)
 
#7
There are two aspects to this.

(1) Individual as opposed to household registration. Individual registration has long been advocated by the Conservatives. Individual registration is, in effect, already in place for those forces personnel and partners who choose to register as service voters.

(2) Voter identification at the polling station. You would need to check the Conservatives' detailed views on different types of identification, but my understanding is that they are at least in favour of the principle.

It should be clearer when the actual announcement come out.
 
#9
.Sven said:
New ruling to force British voters to show ID before voting

Every British citizen will soon have to sign a form or show identification before they can vote, the Government has announced.

In an historic shift, which comes after years of campaigning by the Electoral Commission and The Times, the Government finally agreed yesterday to end the system whereby one person in each household names all those eligible to vote in their property.

Voters will be allowed to register individually on the electoral roll from the autumn of 2010 by either signing a form or providing identification. Household registration will still be an option until the autumn of 2015, when individual registration will become compulsory if it is given approval by the Electoral Commission.

Michael Wills, the Justice Minister, called the decision “radical and unprecedented” last night.

Army of ghost voters who won an election
Local elections: the democratic deficit
Campaigners have been pressing for individual registration as a way of tackling rising electoral fraud, such as “ghost voters” who are registered but do not exist in a house and fraudsters who apply for bogus postal votes.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/politics/article5835407.ece

I think this is a good idea, ZANU Labour fear the idea as they know that they will suddenly lose voters off the roll.
Of course they fear it. That is why they are introducing it!
 
#10
ashie said:
.Sven said:
New ruling to force British voters to show ID before voting

Every British citizen will soon have to sign a form or show identification before they can vote, the Government has announced.

In an historic shift, which comes after years of campaigning by the Electoral Commission and The Times, the Government finally agreed yesterday to end the system whereby one person in each household names all those eligible to vote in their property.

Voters will be allowed to register individually on the electoral roll from the autumn of 2010 by either signing a form or providing identification. Household registration will still be an option until the autumn of 2015, when individual registration will become compulsory if it is given approval by the Electoral Commission.

Michael Wills, the Justice Minister, called the decision “radical and unprecedented” last night.

Army of ghost voters who won an election
Local elections: the democratic deficit
Campaigners have been pressing for individual registration as a way of tackling rising electoral fraud, such as “ghost voters” who are registered but do not exist in a house and fraudsters who apply for bogus postal votes.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/politics/article5835407.ece

I think this is a good idea, ZANU Labour fear the idea as they know that they will suddenly lose voters off the roll.
Of course they fear it. That is why they are introducing it!


A report for the Joseph Rowntree Reform Trust found last year that there have been at least 42 convictions for electoral fraud in Britain in the past seven years.

In 2004 a judge quashed the results of two local council elections in Birmingham after deciding that there had been systematic large-scale postal-vote rigging. The judge said that he had heard evidence of fraud that “would disgrace a banana republic”.

The Government had resisted the switch out of fear that it would result in a sharp dip in the number on the electoral roll. A similar exercise resulted in a drop in the vote in Northern Ireland. This would be likely to be most pronounced in more deprived areas, which Labour feared would mean a disproportionate effect on their own vote.

My Bold

You didn't read the whole article, did you.
 
#11
.Sven said:
ashie said:
.Sven said:
New ruling to force British voters to show ID before voting

Every British citizen will soon have to sign a form or show identification before they can vote, the Government has announced.

In an historic shift, which comes after years of campaigning by the Electoral Commission and The Times, the Government finally agreed yesterday to end the system whereby one person in each household names all those eligible to vote in their property.

Voters will be allowed to register individually on the electoral roll from the autumn of 2010 by either signing a form or providing identification. Household registration will still be an option until the autumn of 2015, when individual registration will become compulsory if it is given approval by the Electoral Commission.

Michael Wills, the Justice Minister, called the decision “radical and unprecedented” last night.

Army of ghost voters who won an election
Local elections: the democratic deficit
Campaigners have been pressing for individual registration as a way of tackling rising electoral fraud, such as “ghost voters” who are registered but do not exist in a house and fraudsters who apply for bogus postal votes.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/politics/article5835407.ece

I think this is a good idea, ZANU Labour fear the idea as they know that they will suddenly lose voters off the roll.
Of course they fear it. That is why they are introducing it!


A report for the Joseph Rowntree Reform Trust found last year that there have been at least 42 convictions for electoral fraud in Britain in the past seven years.

In 2004 a judge quashed the results of two local council elections in Birmingham after deciding that there had been systematic large-scale postal-vote rigging. The judge said that he had heard evidence of fraud that “would disgrace a banana republic”.

The Government had resisted the switch out of fear that it would result in a sharp dip in the number on the electoral roll. A similar exercise resulted in a drop in the vote in Northern Ireland. This would be likely to be most pronounced in more deprived areas, which Labour feared would mean a disproportionate effect on their own vote.

My Bold

You didn't read the whole article, did you.
A typical Tory Times mind-reading exercise telling us why there "may" have been resistance and what "might" happen when introduced. Another fact-free zone.
 
#12
They also have pland to make you 'Book Out' when going abroad, followed by 'Booking back in' upon your return.

Dare say that after the dust has settled, you'll have to swipe to leave and enter your own home. You may laugh, but 12 years ago who'd have believed that we would be the most spied on nation in Europe!
 
#13
Cue a sudden lack of distribution/availability of "appropriate" ID in marginal seats. Wouldn't put it past them after the recent "we will legislate to do what we like" buisness.
 
#14
ashie said:
Another fact-free zone.
Aaaahh! Your favourate refrain to admonish a view you cannot dispute but choose to rebut. It normally proceeds your launch into your own fact-free diatribe - which you present as 'the facts'. Is that on its way too.
 
#16
I think it's a great idea. Having voted for the first time last year (I know...) I was shocked that no one asked for any form of id except my word. Given that I also knew the names and addresses of a very large number of people who wouldn't turn out to vote, it would have been very easy for me to vote several times during the day. I wasn't expecting it to feel momentus, but I rather hoped it would feel a little less... trivial.
 
#17
I support this in principle, but not the outcome they will be seeking which will be "no ID card = no vote"

Suspect this will be introduced after the election to allow for mass postal fraud in support of ZaNu Liabour and immediate denial of future voting rights to the non-barcoded classes. :twisted:
 
#18
chocolate_frog said:
I think this is a good way to prevent terrorism.
You don't need to worry about terrorists as the Government will have done all their work for them. All the counter and control measures imposed on UK, USA and EU Citizens by each countries governments will have played right into the terrorists hands, as they will have helped them to accomplish their mission of destroying western civilasation and our free way of life.

The only countries in Europe that can see this disaster unfolding are those former Soviet satellite States that only recently gained their freedoms.

'Nothing to hide and nothing to worry about' is exactly the attitude that the Governments want people to believe whilst they slide in through the back door and incarcerate entire populations by labelling us all as Guilty till Proven Innocent.
 
#19
Hahhahahahahhahahahaa oh my ribs. Once again, Smoke and Mirrors have been issued.

ID at the Polling Station? Errrm don't you already have to do that? I certainly did in the last local council elections.

How exactly, will this stop postal vote fraud? Short answer , it won't. It wont stop it, until you introduce a biometric thumbprint system, and physically go and visit each property.

Or produce postal voting cards which allow a thumbprint to be made, which can then be scanned against an existing database. Before anyone starts banging on about cost, and getting E*S to fcuk it up , the system already exists.

Postal vote fraud is large scale and very organised, coercion and undue voting pressure also plays a major part.

Want a free and impartial vote? Get them out to the voting booth, or take a library truck round with voting booths already installed.

This "radical" idea is just plain bollox.
 
#20
What do I do? Show my ID to the post box?, And what ID is that then, Green falling to bits driving licence? Tesco clubcard? Or some some sh1t that's forced on me by the ever creeping police state.
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads