New rules on uniform

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by Outstanding, Oct 24, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. So the rules change - bring it on for MOD Staff!

WEARING OF UNIFORM IN PUBLIC

1. A revised Tri-Service policy has been issued that encourages the wearing of uniform in public more frequently by Service personnel. Army General Administrative Instructions (AGAI) Volume 2 Number 59 – Dress and Appearance, has been amended to clarify when uniform should be worn, when it is encouraged to be worn and when it is not to be worn.

KEY POINTS

2. The following is a summary of the key points of the Tri-Service policy:

a. When on duty in and out of barracks service personnel are encouraged to wear uniform when commuting or visiting local facilities such as the bank, garage, supermarket or sports facility providing the local security situation permits.

b. Commanding Officers can authorise the wider wearing of uniform as required.

c. Personnel will not be compelled to wear uniform, other than on duty, should they wish to protect their anonymity.

3. The wearing of uniform in public demands the highest standards of dress, bearing and behaviour . The wearing of mixed civilian and military clothing is not permitted and whenever in uniform, correct compliments should be paid and returned appropriately at all times, by all ranks, both in and out of barracks.

BACKGROUND

4. In the light of the National Recognition Study, a revised Tri-Service policy encourages the wearing of uniform in public by Service personnel. All Army personnel are to adhere to the Army policy as set out in AGAI Volume 2, Chapter 59. The salient points are summarised below:

a. Occasions on which uniform should generally be worn:

(1) On duty in the work place.

(2) On duty outside the work place by personnel officially representing the Army at events sanctioned by the Chain of Command e.g. Remembrance Day, Freedom Parades, Military/State Funerals.

(3) Participating in Royal events e.g. Royal Garden Parties, Reviews, Parades, Investitures, visits and ceremonial parades for foreign Royalty or Head of State.

b. Occasions on which the wearing of uniform is encouraged :

(1) Travelling to and from residence to place of duty and travelling between duty locations. Uniform may be worn irrespective of the method of travel e.g. public or private transport or on foot.

(2) Visits to civilian amenities during normal working hours e.g. bank, garage, shopping, coffee shops.

(3) Travelling to and from designated leave address which may include civil airports unless in or around Northern Ireland.

(4) When deemed appropriate by the Commanding Officer, whilst off duty or on leave e.g. civil or Service wedding, graduation ceremonies.

(5) With Commanding Officer’s sanction, when attending civilian court as a defendant, witness, or representative of the Army.

c. Occasions on which uniform is not to be worn, unless specifically approved by the Chain of Command:

(1) When visiting public houses.

(2) On leave.

(3) Utilising civilianised trooping facilities at specified civil airports e.g. when travelling to, from or through Northern Ireland or any operational theatre.

(4) Off duty in Northern Ireland or anywhere outside the UK mainland.

(5) On occasions when the Army’s reputation or political impartiality might be brought into question e.g. Political protests, carnival processions, rallies, marches or demonstrations of any kind.

2. So, when I travel to the TA Center on a weekday evening I generally wear my uniform under a civilian Jacket, is that now not allowed? :?

Or does it not matter because I'm a STAB? :D

3. Seems simple enough mate - The answer is not if it is mixed dress.

3. The wearing of uniform in public demands the highest standards of dress, bearing and behaviour . The wearing of mixed civilian and military clothing is not permitted and whenever in uniform, correct compliments should be paid and returned appropriately at all times, by all ranks, both in and out of barracks.

b. Occasions on which the wearing of uniform is encouraged :

(1) Travelling to and from residence to place of duty and travelling between duty locations. Uniform may be worn irrespective of the method of travel e.g. public or private transport or on foot.

4. Can I continue to wear my old WRAC uniform at special parties?

5. As long as you leave off your op tour medals.

6. Oooo below the belt :D

7. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

So we won't be seeing anymore uniforms at gay pride then! TFFT.

8. Travel to the TAC in your uniform, don't wear the coat.

If you don't want people to see you in uniform then you need to not travel in uniform at all.

If you get in your car in your garage you could probably get away with wearing a coat as long as you took it off out of public site and emerged from the car correctly dressed, however your SSM/CSM might ping you for mixed dress if he sees you taking it off so beware!

:wink:

9. Agreed, its after trg on the Tuesday I never bother getting changed back into civvies and normally bang a civvie jacket on.

Wonder if I can get away with wearing a softie or whether that constitutes as mixed dress?

10. "3. The wearing of uniform in public demands the highest standards of dress, bearing and behaviour . The wearing of mixed civilian and military clothing is not permitted and whenever in uniform, correct compliments should be paid and returned appropriately at all times, by all ranks, both in and out of barracks."

Looks like someone's going to be busy gripping the slack fcukers I see around Pompey then and I ain't just talking Navy here either!!!

11. Be busy at Chicksands too, gripping everyone who throws a fleece on to pop down to Shefford Somerfield! :D

12. I just use other peoples or eBay replicas...

13. I can see a run on steam irons in Coly, Blandford and Brize!

What am I saying, delete 'Brize' polyester has stay sharp creases even after washing... :roll:

14. Disgraceful. Didn't happen in my time. I shall write to my MP and The Times.

15. So whose job will it be to grip the fucking cadets wandering around town centres in half a uniform each? Or the RA blokes propping up the bar in every pub within five miles of Otterburn camp?

Can a commanding officer still decree that uniform is not be be worn whilst travelling back and forth from work and home?