New rules for Commonwealth Recruits

Discussion in 'Officers' started by shudder, Feb 15, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I was hoping I may get some useful answers and perhaps a bit of a debate from the following:

I have heard that there are new eligibility rules for commonwealth citizens who want to apply for rcb and sandhurst and so on. As from Nov 04 these guys need to have lived in the UK for up to 5 years before they apply. I myself passed through the factory as a commonwealth citizen but had only been in the UK for 3 months before RCB.

I was looking to commission into the Int Corp, but alas was told just before the interviews that being from a commonwealth country I needed to be resident in the UK for 10 years before.... this happens a lot.... where they only tell you these things at the last minute....

What you guys think...
    This is obviously not a question as to whether you think commonwealth officers are any good are not.... obviously!!

2. Resident 10 years before? You'd have to have decided to apply and moved there to wait when you were 8 or 10 years old!
    Even five years seems too long.

Whatever the rule, there must be some flexibility, and it all has to be written down somewhere, they can't make this stuff up day to day.
  3. Concern is founded - but this is a considered security issue. There is of course some flexibility. In my case being born overseas (outside the commonwealth) was an issue and I was a British citizen from birth. I hope this if of some help (and I've removed as much jargon as possible in order to make it a little more ARRSE friendly):

New guidelines for the security clearance of Commonwealth candidates was issued on 10 Nov 04:

Changes in the security environment require adjustment in the way nationality and residency rules are applied. This includes officer cadets.

Mandatory residency requirements for Officer Cadets is 5 years continuous residency immediately prior to application. This is to enable background checks to be carried out.

There are ways of seeking a waiver to this rule in exceptional circumstances.

All officer candidates must be cleared prior to joining RMAS. Where there has been no residency prior to application, and without other considerations being taken in to account, the following indicate the minimum periods of residency that will be needed:

(1) UK/Irish national who has lived abroad for all of the last 5 years - full waiver of residency requirement or 1 year residency if checks cannot be conducted abroad.

(2) Commonwealth citizen who has lived abroad for all of the last 5 years - 2 to 3 years residency depending on ability to conduct checks abroad.

However, where some residency within the UK in the last 5 years can be claimed this will be taken note of.

To obviate the possibility of a candidate undertaking a period of residency, only subsequently to fail either RCB Briefing or Main Board, it has been agreed that a candidate may proceed with both the RCB Briefing and RCB Main Board at any time during that qualifying period. However, on achieving an RCB Main Board pass, a candidate will only be permitted to commence officer training at RMAS after completion of the stipulated period of residency. In all circumstances it will remain the candidate's responsibility to obtain the necessary visas to cover the required residency period prior to entering RMAS.

Because most soldier trades require lower levels of clearance there is no requirement for a prior period of residency. Officer candidates who wish to avail themselves of residency through service in the ranks are to enlist and prove themselves to their COs. Failing this they will have to serve a minimum 4 year engagement. These candidates should not undertake the RCB Briefing and Main Board until the final year of their residency period.

The age limits for entry to RMAS still apply (separate threads!).
  4. Missed this bit. I think things have moved on slightly and people are told a lot earlier about what they can expect.

Cue 1000 posts saying 'B++++++!, in my day...' :wink:
  5. I know I've committed an act of Necromancy, in reviving this thread, but I have to ask.

Does the above mean that I, a British Citizen from birth (thanks , Mom!), who has lived in the US for the last 12 years, am able to just crack right on in, residency-wise?

6. Think there was an artcle in Telegraph or times over the weekend about South African personnel from joining foreign armies (after fiasco in Equatorial Guinea).

In fact, have found it, it's at:
    Makes for an interesting point.

Also interesting is the issue of getting passport from this article on South African trying to get residence: LINK
    (MOD - already in public domain so please do not remove).

Worth being aware of!

7. Yes, you can get a residency waiver if the background checks can be completed, otherwise the one year residency is required.
  8. I'm trying to get a lucid answer on the effect of this, I will post as soon as possible.
  9. I have been led to understand that although it looks quite stark the wording of the legislation is a bit poor - i.e., of the sledgehammer and nut variety to prevent South African nationals becoming mercenaries, as opposed to serving in legitimate Armed Forces. The FCO are engaged already in seeking an exemption for serving in the British Army.