New Royal Tournament

Discussion in 'Charities and Welfare' started by Welly, Dec 3, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just a thought, what do you think to raise funds for H4H???????

Should there be a 'one off' Royal Tournament arranged for 2012 (Queens Diamond Jubilee year i believe). It doesn't need to be held over a 2 week period as it used to be, but maybe over a weekend Fri - Sun day with 6 performances, one afternoon and evening show each day the same as it used to be, it would be great to get all the old favourites involved, The White Helmets, The Gun Crews, Bands,.......... Etc etc etc.

I was part of one Royal Tournament back in the early 90's and the place used to sell out twice a day for the whole 2 weeks, surely it would make a small fortune for H4H.

I sent them an email recently suggesting this but as of today i've had no reply, i appreciate the logistics for the event would be huge, but there must be people around still that used to be involved with it who would be willing to donate some time - i would if needed!!

I know it's also going to be Olympic year but what a way to start it off if this could be arranged for the January, before the Olympics start???

Just a thought anyway!
  2. they do a Windsor tatto instead now. Quite new in it's second year & has most of the old favourites. Went this year but said to say the field gun race has been tamed down a lot, nowhere near as good as it used to be.
  3. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

29 Commando will do a 'Music in the Night' in 2012 for the 50th anniversary as the Regt converting to the Commando role. So all sorts of things happening.
  4. Used to love that as a kid, was the last man over the "chasm" the flying angel?

(Elf and safety would be having kittens at the thought of that event taking place now, iIIRC it wasnt unusual for members of the gun team to be missing their little finger from dropping the pin that held the wheel on the axle so they wedged their pinky in instead!)
  5. I have it on fairly good authority that the Royal Tournament (In a more modern guise) will be back next December for a "One-off" special.
  6. My dad used to take me to see the Royal Tournament nearly every year, I'd love to take my kids. If you hear any more on it slackbladder please keep us informed!
  7. Aye the gun race was marvelous. I recal watching a documentary that followed a team through all their training and competition. IIRC this was in the mid-late 1970s. The training was tough as hell and lots of injuries where suffered. One bloody good spectacle though.