New rotor blades

Not being of the rotary(or any other) flying persuasion, my RSS feeds provided these interesting, and IMHO, linked(?) items.

Military lab DARPA has put out a call for rotor blades that could boost payloads by 30 percent and range by 40 percent, as well as reduce sound by 50 percent and vibration by 90 percent compared to the usual fixed rotor blades.
Popsci linky

The SAMARAI system from Lockheed Martin takes its name from the samara seedlings that fly off of trees. Original plans called for a seed pod-sized drone that could somehow send back stable streaming video and deliver a 2-gram payload. Funding for the system supposedly dropped out after a phase 1 DARPA contract, but now here's this recent video of a larger test prototype with a 30-inch wing span.
Popsci Linky

I made the connection from the dialogue in the video which is part of the second link.

Interesting idea.
However no money for what is absolutely essential NOW so following Slashes by incoming government you'll be lucky to field the Hysterical Flight.
john

Must apologies.
Was just having a giggle in my own way.
But I am serious when I say No Matter who gets in come next May 10th, the massive extravagant spending of today ( just dodged a Lightning bolt) will be replaced with a Budget that will make Defence Spending of the 30's look luxurious.
john