New role for paramedics

Discussion in 'Professionally Qualified, RAMC and QARANC' started by Proximo, Jun 27, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Amazed this hasn't appeared so far:

From The Indie:

Full story is here.

Comments? :D
  2. This is causing a bit of a ripple around the ambulance services, but some have already initiated this system. It makes sense for the patient on many levels, but the idea of taking the most experienced / able paramedics, training them up and sending them only to non emergencies (earache, sutures etc.) doesn't sit well with a lot of staff. ECPs in some areas are being sent only to calls from patients over 60, not ideal. A further problem is that there is as yet no uniformal standard of ECP training or syllabus, so you are never really sure what you're getting when your ECP arrives, some of them will come from paramedic backgrounds, some from nursing.
    Of course, the whole thing is still in it's infancy, so I expect we'll find a way to make it work, eventually! :D
  3. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

I imagine the AMS will talk about introducing a similar scheme in about 20 years....

... and the QAs will insist that only nurses can do it.

I can see the advantages of an ECP system, but I'm not sure it won't be as abused as the current system.
  4. I agree, apart from the time scale, I would hedge closer to 30 years!!
  5. We have been doing it in London for a while now, and although it has its place its not going to be the solution to all the other problems we currently have, at least half the patients that are seen by the ECP end up being conveyed to hospital anyway, and when you know that the ECP's currently only work up until 10/11pm and theres no out of hours GP service who do you think ends up doing all the sh*tty night shift calls that no-one else can be arrsed to do, yep, you guessed it, its just another "smoke and mirrors" exercise to cover up the complete shambles the Ambulance services are in, and until some decent money is ploughed into them always will be..