New RGJ TA Bn with HQ in Reading

Has anyone heard the rumour the the new RGJ TA Bn will be based on A, E, F, and G Coys, with an HQ at the RRV HQ in Reading. Now that all of the RGBW are joining the Light family, this would semm to make sense, although a few old men will be fighting for Davis Street.

I have also heard that the preferred option is 2 rifle Coys of 3 Pls each, with support Pls remaining where they are where possible.

Let me know what you have heard.

Latest Rumor Control indicates that a Bn HQ will be remaining at Brock Barracks. Which Bn this will be, and what the composition of the unit/s remaining will be remains to be seen...

Just to throw confusion into the mix, I heard it was going to be named "4th" battalion, and HQ'd at Slade Park, Oxford!

Still, I just found out my coy is becoming part of a nationwide "superbattalion". Well, that will make batt weekends fun! pick a place on the map and we will meet there at 0100hrs sat!

Personally I think that it has all gone down hill since they disbanded the Wessex Regiment (V)

msr

in total agreement with msr's comments - can still remember the look of disdain/confusion on people's faces changing cap badge from Wyvern to a Berkshire horse. Wouldn't have been too bad if it hadn't been for the "car wash" label...

Is this battalion going to be senior or junior to the Rifles/Light Div Regt/whatever bn-to-be of the Rifle Volunteers? Or in another form, is RRV more senior than Rifle Vols?

army_of_1 said:
Is this battalion going to be senior or junior to the Rifles/Light Div Regt/whatever bn-to-be of the Rifle Volunteers? Or in another form, is RRV more senior than Rifle Vols?
At the moment the RRV is senior to the RV due to it's PWRR Coy.

When the PWRR Coy depart for Tigerland 8O the RV will be senior.

So the Rifle Volunteers = 6th Bn, "The Rifles" and the RRV (minus C coy but plus the London Reg RGJ) = 7th Bn

Both will have 5 rifle companies, which may be too many. It would not surprise me if both lose a company to the other arms in the process.

There is of course the question of the orphaned LI coys in the rest of the country. Will these convert to a new inf capbadge or the other arms. I can't see them keeping them on when 6 and 7th Bns are so territorially discrete.

E

error_unknown

Ah! the £6M question

1. Those TA bns that are "national" eg LI RRF

2. Those Areas that don't have a homogenous (sp?) Inf reg eg the NE

Solution?

Well, the LI is nicely regional now as the SW regiment (which could easily include Herefordshire, which was a county of Wessex), excepting the NE coys (Yorkshire and Durham LI).

The options for those two would be rebadging to, say, RRF, or changing to other arms, bearing in mind that for no overall change in strength we need to find about 6 or so REMF Regiments.

It would not surprise me if the KOYLI and DLI coys find themselves RE or R Sigs squadrons

The RRF has little option but to have a national regiment, with its centres of gravity in Birmingham and Newcastle. The London element of the RRF will assumidly be a rebadged to "The Foot Guards".

E

error_unknown

Actually the NE is quite interesting.

Both LI and RRF would I think have an equal claim to be "the" local TA bn from TYNE TEES; I reckon RRF would get it as LI is getting a lot of goodies as is.

Fig11 said:
Just to throw confusion into the mix, I heard it was going to be named "4th" battalion, and HQ'd at Slade Park, Oxford!
I hear a naafi roumor going round that once Slades lease is up, Oxford city council was going to knock it down and turn it into new 'affordable' housing.

Rumour has prettymuch confirmed HQ TTR to become HQ 3 RRF.

Does this mean A and E coys of the RRV are up to reamalgamate into an Ox and Bucks LI coy then? I suppose if you have to lose a company to drop down to a 3 Rifle and 1 Support Coy structure (i.e. be a "proper" battalion) then this is the way to do it.

So E Coy take on the High Wycome Platoon and the rest of A coy go to other arms?

(All guesses)

Benjaminw1 said:
Actually the NE is quite interesting.

Both LI and RRF would I think have an equal claim to be "the" local TA bn from TYNE TEES; I reckon RRF would get it as LI is getting a lot of goodies as is.
Reckon its gonna be a northern RRF Bn with a LI Coy(s). The number of LI Coys is far too high and at least 2 will be changed to other corps, same for the new Yorks regt (1 coy prop York or Hull)

Its quite difficult to guess - all down to regt politics (and their recruiting areas - so LI may sacrifice coys in the SW in preference to keeping LI coys in none LI bn's in the north).

msr said:
Personally I think that it has all gone down hill since they disbanded the Wessex Regiment (V)

msr
Well said that man.
As for Slade Park, thats up for sale,rumour control reckons a new "multi purpose TAC" will be built at Abingdon. (more like shove the TA into a empty nissan hut at Dalton Bks)
Did hear a whisper (probably rumour mongering on the back of the Slade announcement) that good old Brock was being eyed up by developers as well.

polar said:
Reckon its gonna be a northern RRF Bn with a LI Coy(s). The number of LI Coys is far too high and at least 2 will be changed to other corps, same for the new Yorks regt (1 coy prop York or Hull)

Its quite difficult to guess - all down to regt politics (and their recruiting areas - so LI may sacrifice coys in the SW in preference to keeping LI coys in none LI bn's in the north).
The cost argument is what caused 1/51 to lose G (London Scottish) and V (Liverpool Scottish) coys. I think there's a case for the same again if it can be avoided.

However 123 (DLI) Squadron and 456 (KOYLI) of 789 REMF Regt is a real possibility. Like the R Anglian RLC Regt, we might see an RE or R Sigs regiment with a Rifle Green Beret.

isleofwightrifles said:
However 123 (DLI) Squadron and 456 (KOYLI) of 789 REMF Regt is a real possibility. Like the R Anglian RLC Regt, we might see an RE or R Sigs regiment with a Rifle Green Beret.
I can't see those two going totally, maybe a coy in Durham with a pln in Wakefield. The new Yorks regt will get all the publicity(recruits) in my neck of the woods so LI may just abandon the area - Green Howards and DWR are quite well known regiments although PWO had the larger recruiting area and LI smaller than the other 3.

But I do know the Sigs Regt to the south of Wakefield has been looking to expand North, and in that area in particular. So best find out where the kids have put my old beret - and if the badge looks in on this thread.... yes I do know light inf drill and I will use it :lol: :lol:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
O Old & Bold 12
Old Stab The NAAFI Bar 45
C Waltenkommando 138