New Resuscitation guidelines just out, what do you think?

Discussion in 'Professionally Qualified, RAMC and QARANC' started by the_kit_man, Nov 28, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The UK Resuscitation Council released their new Guidelines.

For Adult the BLS is as follows:

"The following changes in the BLS guidelines have been made to reflect the greater importance placed on chest compression, and to attempt to reduce the number and duration of pauses:

1) Make a diagnosis of cardiac arrest if a victim is unresponsive and not breathing normally.

2) Teach rescuers to place their hands in the centre of the chest, rather than to spend more time using the ‘rib margin’ method.

3) Give each rescue breath over 1 sec rather than 2 sec.

4) Use a ratio of compressions to ventilations of 30:2 for all adult victims of sudden cardiac arrest. Use this same ratio for children when attended by a lay rescuer.

5) For an adult victim, omit the initial 2 rescue breaths and give 30 compressions immediately after cardiac arrest is established."

More information can be found on the UK Resuscitation Council or at the First Aid Café web site forum.
  2. What do they mean by "sudden cardiac arest" and the bit about "attended by a lay rescuer"?
    And what about the whole A.D.D.I.C.T non-A.D.D.I.C.T part?
  3. Now a "sudden cardiac arrest" would be a cardiac arrest that happened suddenly and a "lay rescuer" would be a rescuer that lays down next to the casualty to give them a hug a make them feel better ! s'easy this furst ade stuff
  4. Nah, it is a typo. It is a Sudan cardiac arrest refering to the cesation of ventricular activity in a central african country. The lay rescuer has to shag the victim back to life.

Personally, I sit my victims up, give them brandy offer them a lighted cigarette
  5. A quick snack of sausages and Chocolate cake all washed down with a large scotch is a good pre-emptive treatment for cardiac conditions.

But serioulsy 30 ! compressions in a oner will that qualify as a pass for your BPFA !
  6. How are some of our colleagues going to cope with counting to 30?
  7. Infact Ive just worked it out.
    You do 30 compressions and then you get to pause get to take 2 quick breaths then crack on. In my understanding that means you are not meant to breath during the compressions as this would upset the rythmn ??
  8. Doing FAAW instructors and assesors course this week. Bloke teaching reckons Doret amby service who trialled this are getting 37% sruvival rate ! over the usual 7%. Its a really simple drill and should do something to aliviate skill fade, all you got to remember is 30:2 and even without the :2 you can still help.
  9. Are you guys lugging around AEDs?
  10. Fang_Farrier

Fang_Farrier LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

It's changed a bit from the good old days of 5:1 or 15:1

how long before it's 60:4!
  11. Working in a large teaching hospital, last week I had my hospital life support refresher course. I was taught the ‘old’ method and when I questioned that this was now wrong I was told that the ‘new’ policy will not come into place until late next year.

Does anyone know anywhere that is bringing in these changes?
  12. I think we need to remember that these guidelines are just that...guidelines!

The whole point of courses like ALS, PLS, PHTLS..even ATLS is to teach a 'level playing field' to a multi-disciplinary team such that everyone knows whats going on (usually!). The reason the changes are not being introduced by the resus council just yet is that all the new manuals and teaching resources have not yet been finished. So its better to teach everyone on a course one way of doing things even if the guidelines have changed...less confusing. Think the change is coming sooner than the end of next year though.

The main reason for the change in the compression ratio to breaths is because BLS teaching by its nature targets the 'novice bystander'. The best survival from sudden cardiac arrest is for early EFFECTIVE CPR. Its no good if the paramedics get there 5 mins later if nothing has been done till then. Research has shown that the average 'man on the street' is willing and able to do effective chest compressions...and they are still effective even if the position is slightly wrong. The average joe bloggs is, in most cases, a bit reluctant to do mouth to mouth on a it often got missed anyway. Hence the new guidelines stress that part of CPR that was and can be done well by a 'novice'. It does also make sense from a physiological point of view...but I won't go into that!

I would say that most in-hospital' personnel and other health professionals should seek ALS intubation and ventilation with asynchronous continuous compressions is still the gold standard.

13. Even better, I sat my ALS instructors course on the Sunday before the guidelines came out so I am out of date by 5 hours and out of pocket £400!