New research links PTSD with heart attacks later in life

Discussion in 'Charities and Welfare' started by hammycheesyeggy, Jan 10, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. There is an item in today's Herald (10 January 2007) highlighting recent, as yet uncorroborated research, which suggests there may be a link between soldiers suffering from PTSD and an increased risk of myocardial infarction later in life. These data would appear to correspond with other studies which correlate stress with premature mortality from heart disease.

The research, carried out by the Harvard School of Public Health, also suggests an increased susceptability to arthritis and psoriasis.

Previous research has suggested that stress, which necessarily includes PTSD, compromises autoimmune function.

2. Nothing new. Low levels of stress release cortisol into the blood - the fight or flight hormone. This in turn is used in the manufacture of cholesterol. Slow furring up of the arteries by this process over many years because of stress is a bigger indicator for heart disease in later life than diet and smoking put together.

Should definitely be a factor to consider for someone with longterm PTSD, glad they've done the research.

3. I knew of someone who had p.t.s.d. but in his time there was not any help available like there is now if you are able to have any help from various organisations etc
    He passed away from myocardial infarction . So may be this school of public health as got it right .

4. He topped himself to get away from you Chubb. He clearly knew you were a cunt.

5. I'm just glad slotting ragheads gives me a boner instead of making me sad then. Hopefully i'll live a little longer because of it.

6. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

This may be true in some cases but think of the WW2 guys who have a delayed PTSD. Now in their 80s & going strong. I know a FEPOW well in his 80s who has the Japs coming up the stairs to get him at night.
    There again my father in law was a Chindit (both patrols) & he went early with a heart attack, was it related to his time in Burma? Who knows.

7. Those bloody japs never learn. Has no-one told them the war ended over 60 years ago!