New REME Stablebelt?

Discussion in 'REME' started by Duff_Man, Jul 8, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Well it's been said that the DEME is sporting a new type of stable belt that is minus the shiny belt buckle at the front and in its place has a couple of straps on the side very similar to the Royal Artillery stable belt. Something to do with the shiny buckle not being 'tactical' enough or something.

He's only wearing it on trial at the moment to see what people think of it, so if you don't like it then tell him otherwise we will be having to wear (and possibly pay for, again) another stable belt.

I'm not for or against a change in belt as it won't affect me, but i for one would definately miss my handy little bottle opener.

What does everyone think, as i'm sure if he's an ARRSEr also then he'll appreciate the input.

2. When I was forced (sorry - encouraged) to buy my stable belt in 1975 I was informed that Arte et Marte was the instruction for unfastening the belt. :D I later transferred to a Corps who had side fastening belts - later changed to very shiney front buckles. The thing is in neither Corps, was I ever expected to wear the thing with combats whilst in a tactical situation. Only in barracks. Out in the ulu it was old 58 pattern belt to keep ones trousers up!

3. "Well it's been said that the DEME is sporting a new type of stable belt that is minus the shiny belt buckle at the front and in its place has a couple of straps on the side very similar to the Royal Artillery stable belt. Something to do with the shiny buckle not being 'tactical' enough or something.

My bold - I had heard that the large metal buckle type stable belts were being phased out due to the number of abdominal injuries sustained by wearers involved in road traffic accidents.

WM

4. alb

alb Clanker

A new stable belt will get as much use as the old one, nil. The badge in our hat is how we are identified in barracks and our toolbox is how we are identified in the field. TRFs, stable belts, we may as well get a lanyard and cravat for good measure. As for a non tactical stable belt, what a load of ARRSE.

:x :x :x

5. Saw it, and it looked sh0ite if you ask me, stick with the old one, there's nowt wrong with it. Why change???? Also the old one is quicker to undo when you need a crap.

6. TRF the ultimate oxymoron!!!

Dave

7. Used to have a side fastening one, from another Corps, but I can agree with the toilet nightmares alluded to a few posts up!

8. My boss reckons that Officers have been wearing them for years - general issue/'best buy it' kit for them? Its just that most don't like it as its too fussy and they just plump for the old bottle opener stylee like what us chaps have to wear.

Plus, the old phasing out the belt due to RTI damage rumor has been around longer than ProBoots...............

9. I dont care what the belt looks liek, as long as they issue it. Fed up of having to wear shite you have to pay for.

10. I proudly wore my stable belt (which I had paid for) throughout my service, both as a regular & a stab. When I eventually re-badged to a Signals Yeomanry Sqn, we had the side fastening belt - a nightmare for quick dressing/undressing.

Still have my original stable belt from 1973, will remain in my possession as long as I have space for it.

Nobby

11. Keep the belt with the bottle opener. End of discussion.

12. Tink someone is yanking your plank, how is a stable belt "tactical", if it is that bad I would suggest a ´58 patter or similar.

I like the side buckels, although will mourn the loss of the handy bottle opener belt. Doesn´t really bother me, except in my corps, we went through phase of different units having different buckles - ergo everyone knew your first unit :D

13. I always thought it was "Arte et Marte" translated apparently to "twist to open"
    Pass another snobby mate.

14. I'm happy with either - pretty ambivalent. If it's free, I'm all for the new one!

15. I think you'll find the ultimate oxymoron is "ES Planning"

If they bin the stable belt how are we supposed to open our bottles of Wobbly?