New Regimental Number

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by brew-boy, Jun 24, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Well I've just come back from my medical to re-join the army (TA) and I was told that I won't be able to keep my number and that I will have a new one.... :eek: gutted!!

I was in for 12 years and left in 2001, my number was 2481xxxx it will now be 3xxxxxx....!!! I was told its something to do with a new system that has been implemented since I got out

Does anyone know how this will effect (if any) my previous service records. I have medals and courses that relate to my previous number, so if I get a new one, surely it will just be like (on paper only) that I am straight off the street with no prior experience?
  2. Fugly

Fugly LE DirtyBAT

Because you had left when the transfer to JPA occurred, your old number is effectively "discontinued" and cannot be reactivated. Your operational records still exist however, and will continue under your new number. Don't forget that most of the courses you previously had might have expired/lapsed though, and will have to be retaken.
  3. Sprog :D

Why not speak to the person who advised you about the new number issue in the first place. Worst case scenario just advise your RAO of your previous army number and ask that any quals that are still indate be added on.
  4. I lost my 249. Doesn't seem to have caused any probs records wise though.
  5. msr

msr LE

6. Didn't you realise something was wrong :?

249 closed years ago... :wink:
  7. I just managed to keep my 249! Re joined two years ago now i think.
  8. but a little bit less so than a 300 :oops:
  9. Cheers, I didn't think it would matter too much, it was me just being a bit sentimental and getting ready for the flack from my mates still in..... just like Closet_Jibber!

Fugly, I appreciate most of my courses have lapsed now (I was a Class 1 combat engineer and now I have to retrain over a few months to become a Class 3!) but I have a few adventure training quals that I have been told are still valid.

It was more of a shock being told this tonight as when I saw the admin staff of my Troop back in March I was told I would keep my number and that I might not need to do all the training because of my previous experience. After that great snippet if information I am now assuming I will have to jump through every hoop!

They did mention a 'Zero to Hero' course where you carry out all you training over a a handful of weeks rather than weekend and the 2 week camp, but I would get a new number, as that doesn't matter now, that looks an attractive offer......!!
  10. What about if you got out just after the new system came into effect.

Do you still get a new number when you rejoin as TA.
  11. Wot, new numbers for people who rejoin? Madness. This makes extra work for someone, and must make things more difficult later when trying to trace service records for pensions or research, as happens for those of us trying to research WW1.

On the plus side, I hope some old soldier is winning out here, and being paid twice - under both numbers.
  12. msr

msr LE

No, it makes it easier as JPA allocates the number. And let's face it, all those commissioned from the ranks in the past have changed their number.

13. A new number is the least of your worries, at least you are back in :)
  14. Rock up in 66 Pattern combats, DMS and puttees, carrying an SLR slung over your shoulder, then no-one will mistake you for a nig.
  15. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

That's cos they were discharged and re-enlisted in a different army :D