New Recruit - Current Accommodation & Food Charges?

Discussion in 'Finance, Property, Law' started by crayonic, Jul 23, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all,

I'm trying to do a bit of forward planning with regards to joining the army in Autumn, and could do with a little help if anyone has a minute? :roll:

I've been told accommodation and food is deducted before I see my salary, but how much are these? Are they deducted each week/month/quarter? etc.

I've looked on the army website, but only found a complicated PDF that made my nose bleed.

Any help would be appreciated!

2. Every month, cost depending on how good the accomodation is. Not alot though. Also some units are now doing pay-as-you-dine so your food wont be deducted at source.
  3. Lots of people aren't enjoying PAYD(Pay As You Dine) at the moment, many seem to hold the attitude that rather than forking out for mess food, they'd rather grab some tescos food! But i wont digress into PAYD, there'll be a thread somewhere on ARRSE about it.
  4. Hello buddy. Well done in joining up, autumn will be here before you know it.

As has been said in the last two replies, the monthly charge for Accommodation depends on location and class of accommodation. If you have a standard room you will pay less than someone with a new Z type room (On suite rooms, toilets, showers and all that stuff). Each accommodation block in graded every so often, so if improvements are made then a change can be made to the daily charge. If you deploy on an operation tour accommodation charges are suspended for the period of the deployment.

As for food (DMR Daily Messing Rate) this fluctuates each month, however it never really fluctuates anymore that a few pence. And once again if you are deployed on a tour, field exercises (Over a set number of days) or annual leave the DMR will normally be reimbursed.

To give you a general guide, I pay £1.08 each day for accommodation and £3.66 each day for food. Total £142.20 each month. This is deducted each month, direct from your pay.

This is a very rough guide to how it works, there is a lot more to it but you will find it out as you go through your army career. Hope this has answered your question
  5. Thanks guys for the help - now I can get a rough cashflow idea.

6. Now why couldn't I have been that helpful? good drills! :D