New Rat Packs

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by Litotes, May 12, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The BBC has just broadcast (12 May 09) an article on the new Ration packs being deployed to AFG. Well done to those interviewed; good drills, good diction and well presented.

Did I really see a Yorkie Bar with a "Not For Civvies" printed on it??? Clever! :D

Litotes

2. Yes you did it was on BBC breakfast this morning. Nearly spat my tea out when I saw it

3. I saw this on Breakfast News this morning and Bill Turnball? said that the presenter doing the piece was an ex Royal Engineer. Any sappers out there know of him when he served?

4. Those "Not for Civvies" Yorkies were being sold to civvies at a food outlet shop near me last year.

5. I spent a bit of time at Portsmouth Naval Base where they make up the rat packs. The guy I was talking to was saying that they had a problem with the Mars bars they used to put in. Problem was that they were printed with a 'sell by' date. As you may know there are always three years worth of rat packs in stores so a 24 box will be three years old when its taken out for use and by that time the 'sell by' date was well gone. In fact chocolate will keep for ages but trouble was that squaddies were binning them as past it; the rations are designed to be all consumed for the calories so it was a problem.

They went to Mars and asked them to remove the 'sell by' date and were told no way. The entire Services order was 15 minutes production time and they weren't going to change the line for that!

Interesting if they've got Nestle to do a special run.

6. I had heard that the 'Not For Civvies' Yorkie bars were being binned in favour of cereal (ie birdfood) bars. Hope that's not true - first thing I checked last weekend was that the two Yorkie bars were present and correct!

7. They've been around in the rat packs for a few years now... think I had some back in 2006ish - some just have the normal "Not for Girls" on them though.

Watcher - I think that they've got a packing date on them - the one I've got lying around from last weekend has a date on it similar to the ones on the rest of the bits and bobs in the pack. They're in the same shape pack/block as the old Duncan's stuff anyway, so I guess the Nestlé production run was already changed for them.

and now I look like a sad b*stard for knowing all of that...

8. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

Classic :D :

[​IMG]

9. Pob02

Pob02 War Hero Book Reviewer

We had them in Afghan in 2006 . . do pay attention 007 !

the bars that is . .

10. No Yorkie bars in the new rat packs. Beef and cassava looks interesting though.

[​IMG]

11. I use to love the Duncans Chocolate, especially Rum and raisin.

12. msr

msr LE